A piece of art.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Didn't think the response would be this good. Quite diverse aren't we. Very interesting though.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    If you could see your way to presenting me with this.

Canaletto - The Bucintoro at the Molo on Ascension Day.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canal ... ._1732.jpg

Don't know how to insert pictures on to this forum. Sorry.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Went round the Brighton Pavilion yesterday. That was art with a capital A.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Mr Goo wrote:

800px-Canaletto%2C_The_Bucintoro_at_the_Molo_on_Ascension_Day%2C_c._1732.jpg
  • Mr Goo wrote:

So... using Firefox (don't know if all the steps are the same on IE etc) - right click on the image you want (assuming it's on the web somewhere rather than just on your computer) the scroll down to Copy Image Location. Write your post and insert the image by clicking on the Img button (between [*] and [URL]) so you end up with this:

[/url]
    [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Canaletto%2C_The_Bucintoro_at_the_Molo_on_Ascension_Day%2C_c._1732.jpg/800px-Canaletto%2C_The_Bucintoro_at_the_Molo_on_Ascension_Day%2C_c._1732.jpg[/img]

However as you can see from my post above your picture will be the same size as the one you have copied. I'm not sure how to resize photos on this forum. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'll have a piece of Italian art please....

2011-ferrari-458-italia-spider_100227285_m.jpg

And no not a picture, life size working one please. The engine is music to my ears so art and music all in one
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    nevman wrote:
    Gas%20Edward%20Hopper.jpg

Early Sunday Morning.

Gas ^^

02EarlySundayMorning.jpg
    Early Sunday Morning.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I've got load of friends who are artists, some of their work you might like, some you might not, a few work with traditional, a few work with site specific installations - what's interesting is that they want people to have a reaction to their work. Now if you look how diverse peoples tastes are on here isn't it odd that most peoples tastes arent catered for in media coverage - Vettriano is derided as a self taught non entity, 'traditional art' isn't covered because it doesn't reflect the modern human condition - it's almost like if you are not the cognoscenti then your opinions don't count in shaping what art can mean or achieve - yet this, ime is exactly what artists want.

anyway here's a picture of a midget with the holy ghost.

turf_one_midget.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    nevman wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcBko0oYxa6FPR2De6V8vQY33lNwOc1azu0k-qkSf9qr_V9ABr

Nighthawks-seems appropriate here.You see this scene in several modern films,I would love to see the original.
    There is another I like that I will try to find.

I saw a documentary not so long ago about the place of the diner in American culture that featured that pic quite heavily, was v. interesting.

I really like this disdainful take on the tale of Icarus, his fall back to earth being relatively un-noticed as life continues around him. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Bruegel%2C_Pieter_de_Oude_-_De_val_van_icarus_-_hi_res.jpg
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Anything by Salvador Dali please.
    bagpuss
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited January 2012
    Mr Goo wrote:

I was lucky enough to visit the National Gallery yesterday and I saw some of the Canaletto paintings there. As well as the use of perspective and scale to describe quite complex scenes, I was blown away by the detail. Almost like some sort of digital, fractal image, the work just seems to go on forever as you get up close. Tiny highlights of white the size of this full stop . being used in the middle ground to pick out a cuff or wimple in someone's clothes are used in the background for a head, a reflection from a window or gilding on a boat. Quite stunning really and made up for being disappointed by the Leonardo exhibition we visited earlier in the day.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Money no object - a Carravagio:

David%20with%20the%20Head%20of%20Goliath%20Michelangelo%20Merisi%20da%20Caravaggio.jpg

Closer to home, a John Knapp-Fisher:

U373432f_U373429_john_knapp_fisher_pembrokeshire_farm_creative_art_gallery_oxford_woodstock_oxfordshire_newweb.jpg

Or sculpture, Rock Drill by Jacob Epstein in Auckland Art Gallery:

1961_8.jpg

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    pottssteve wrote:
    Money no object - a Carravagio:

Steve

Yes, it's money no object and not for it's resale value. Not necessarily expensive though. My choice is cheap (in comparison) but I love them and in real life they are awesome and emotional to me. Something you'd love to own and appreciate until you die. :(
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    This painting seems to have followed me throughout my life (not the original obviously). I'd love to have this on my wall.

The_fighting_Temeraire.jpg
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Original-drawing-for-the--005.jpgThe original graphic design illustration of the london underground map to start with please
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    pottssteve wrote:
    Or sculpture, Rock Drill by Jacob Epstein in Auckland Art Gallery:

1961_8.jpg

Pedantic I know, but this is just the torso from Rock Drill. The full sculpture was cut down to just the torso by Epstein, but originally looked like this;

epstein-rock-drill-key-010-5169.jpg

I'd love to have a big enough garden to have something monumental by Richard Long;

richardlongredslatecircle1988.jpg
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    This painting seems to have followed me throughout my life (not the original obviously). I'd love to have this on my wall.

Love JMWT too...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • nevman wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcBko0oYxa6FPR2De6V8vQY33lNwOc1azu0k-qkSf9qr_V9ABr

Nighthawks-seems appropriate here.You see this scene in several modern films,I would love to see the original.
    There is another I like that I will try to find.

I saw a documentary not so long ago about the place of the diner in American culture that featured that pic quite heavily, was v. interesting.

I really like this disdainful take on the tale of Icarus, his fall back to earth being relatively un-noticed as life continues around him. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Bruegel%2C_Pieter_de_Oude_-_De_val_van_icarus_-_hi_res.jpg

Auden liked it too

"About suffering they were never wrong, The old Masters"
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    Forest20of20Beech20Trees.jpgForrest of Beech. Gustav klimt.

Or.
    salvador-dali-metamorphosis-of-narcissus1.jpgMetamorphosis of Narsissus. Dali.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Bob Carlos Clarke, I loved his work: -

lowres12.jpg
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    edited January 2012
    I love the early work of Donald McFurlong. He studied at the Kingston School of art in the interwar period and is known for his vivid landscapes, but manages to convey the beauty of nature too.

I actually have one of his originals (cost a bloody fortune). It's called Desolate and portrays the hoplessness and eventual catastrophe of Scott's expedition.

child-art-kristin2.jpg

The naivity of the nest is a reference to the naivity of the expedition. The eyes follow you round the room.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    rml380z,

True, you're right, this is the amputated version. I don't like the full thing.

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    GiantMike wrote:
    I love the early work of Donald McFurlong. He studied at the Kingston School of art in the interwar period and is known for his vivid landscapes, but manages to convey the beauty of nature too.

I actually have one of his originals (cost a bloody fortune). It's called Desolate and portrays the hoplessness and eventual catastrophe of Scott's expedition.

child-art-kristin2.jpg

The naivity of the nest is a reference to the naivity of the expedition. The eyes follow you round the room.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think my nephew must have stolen a similar McFurlong, its now selotaped to my brother's fridge.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    John+Warmerdam#

got this actual art on the wall, was the other halfs birthday present from her parents.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Redhog14 wrote:
    John+Warmerdam#

got this actual art on the wall, was the other halfs birthday present from her parents.

^^^ Yeah, that didn't work did it? will try later.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    A few of the great Dali's work here.Taken whilst on a visit to spain.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 691940875/

possibily my fav.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 4691940875
    bagpuss
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Don't get Dali, he seems to be trying too hard like someone keen to explain the joke. Klimt on the other hand..... His landscapes are particularly attractive to me.

My answer to 'what is art?' is, if you have to explain it, it ain't art. Sorry, Donald.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I'm an atheist, but I like religious art.

This Velazquez blew me away when I saw it in the Dublin National Gallery, it's called "Kitchen Maid with the Supper at Emmaus", and in the background the newly resurrected Jesus is revealing himself to his disciples for the first time. You really need to see it in the flesh so to speak, but the clever thing about it is how it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, because that's exactly what's happening to the main subject...
    velazquez_emmaus.jpg

And I'm a mug for high French Gothic:

Reims:
    cathedral-of-reims.jpg

St. Denis:
    ma_dm_paris_st_denis_1_2.jpg

Staggering how they could build these things 800 years ago with hardly any maths, with solid stone vaults (ceilings in effect) and still have huge holes in the walls for windows...

Durer's engravings were pretty cool:
    Durer+engraving+The+Knight%252C+Death+and+the+Devil.jpg

Amazing guy - as well stuff like the above, he also did this... in 1503! No-one else was doing that sort of stuff back then.
    lDurer-large-turf.jpg

Love Gaudi:
    tumblr_ljv1e7suoN1qccrklo1_500.jpg

But despite all of the above, I do like modernist / minimalist stuff too, e.g. Frank Lloyd Wright, especially when it's done in a way that unashamedly compliments nature:
    fallingwater-1.jpg

It's post-modernism I can't stand, whether in architecture, social philosophy or anything else.