A piece of art.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
I love art in various forms. My favourite painter was Sir Kyffin Williams......

Kyffin-Williams.jpg

95424-Kyffin_Williams.jpg

and although I have some of his signed prints, I'd love to own an original oil by him.....

prt02293_sir_kyffin_williams_signed_print_john_jones_in_the_snow.jpg

esx_bag_souag_s159_slide.jpg

tumblr_lw56jkgolQ1qahuhj

kyffinteifi_pools.jpg

So, I'd be interested to know, if I offered to buy you any piece of art (doesn't have to be a painting) to keep forever, what would you love to own?
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• micken
    micken Posts: 275
    I like this Aggieboy, it's a great idea and I'm going to think about it for a while. I've got two daughters who are currently doing very different art based degrees so I get to see quite a bit of varied art work. The first paining that you show by Sir Kyffin Williams I really like, and the third one I've seen exhibited. I'd be tempted to go for an original Van Gogh due to the intensity and vibrancy of colour that they maintain.

I'll ponder this one.

Thanks
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The above, I really like, but that's just because.......
    I also love photography, but couldn't name a piece by a specific photographer.

I will put my hand up and say I know f*ck all about art, other than people like Tracy Emin irritate me, so, thanks for introducing me to the above, but I'll (for once) keep my mouth shut on this one.
    :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    I'm a leicester lad, but spent the best parts of my life in St Ives, Cornwall growing up, My heart lives there, its just my body hangs about in Leicester. If i had the money, then i wouldn't spend a single second away from St Ives, unfortunately, reality is a sh*t....anyway, if anyone knows anything about St Ives, they will know that it is MASSIVE on art, and the place itself draws THE WORLDS best artists to its shores due to its light qualities, it has more galleries than it does shops, cafes and pubs, so inevitably i have an interest in art...so Aggieboy, i'm another that is going to have to go away and think long and hard before i post my conclusion in this thread....
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    An original by Gilbert & George please, some friends of mine have a couple of their pieces and they are great up close.

tumblr_ktau4xvNvs1qzhv3io1_500.jpg

Or a piece by Antony Gormley in the garden would look very nice.

Antony_Gormley_-_Another_Place_-_Crosby_Beach_01.jpg

And if you can't get me either of those, then I will settle for a

baum.jpg

Really hope you choose me!
  • Aggieboy
    micken wrote:
    I like this Aggieboy, it's a great idea and I'm going to think about it for a while. I've got two daughters who are currently doing very different art based degrees so I get to see quite a bit of varied art work. The first paining that you show by Sir Kyffin Williams I really like, and the third one I've seen exhibited. I'd be tempted to go for an original Van Gogh due to the intensity and vibrancy of colour that they maintain.

I'll ponder this one.

Thanks

The first one (John Jones in the snow) is one of the prints I own. Even the print is lovely to behold in real life and faithful to the original, which I've seen. I've seen a lot of his work over the years and should have bought one years ago but talked myself out of it. Even my prints have now doubled in price since his death.
    Your choice of Van Gogh is one that would seriously tempt me as well, and for the same reasons.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • I like David Shephard's work..... be it old steam loco's or wildlife I just like his style

also David Curtis...his work in oils or watercolours is outstsanding

I do watercolour...some of my work on my Flickr site below
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Personally, I prefer the first portrait shot to any of his work.

That's art though. It is all subjective.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Well Aggie, it's no surprise you have a taste for art, given your admiration of the female form :wink:

I would love to have a piece of Henry Moore sculpture but haven't got a garden big enough to show it off. Something like Oval with Points would be great.

http://golondon.about.com/od/kewgardens ... Points.htm

In another life I worked in the grounds of York Uni and there was, and probably still is, a Henry Moore there - a wonderful, big piece of metal that was quite inspirational. It looked great from any angle and you were allowed to touch it. Brilliant!
  • any chagall his colours were amazing -

Chagall-D&Ch-Daphnis&Chloe_Beside_the_Spring.jpg

failing that a lucian freud of Claire Balding

failing that I'd like to have a go on Tracey Emin and she could use my jizz filled sponkbag as her next oeuvre d'art as long as she splits it 50/50 hehe.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Aggieboy
    MattC59 wrote:

I will put my hand up and say I know f*ck all about art, other than people like Tracy Emin irritate me, so, thanks for introducing me to the above, but I'll (for once) keep my mouth shut on this one.
    :D

Matt - That's the beauty of art you don't have to. You see it, you like it, regardless of what others think of your choice.

Cornerblock - when I was writing the OP 'Another Place' sprung to my mind. I drove a long way to see it. Having that whole project would be awesome. I'd love 'The Angel of the North' in the garden!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Aggieboy wrote:
    I'd love 'The Angel of the North' in the garden!

Not if it meant moving up north though eh?

Calm down northern people, I jest,
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited January 2012
    MattC59 wrote:

Yosetime by Ansel Adams? Most people know that one, even if they don't know it. If you know what I mean. :wink:

51xKKtHEsnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But he has so many, everyone will appreciate one at least.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59
    Change of heart......
    As art is subjective, and 'what art is' is subjective; I'll have a custom 342R Roush V8 please.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Like your art very much,thanks for introducing it
    But,this is the greatest piece of art from the Galleria Bhorgese in Rome-its the only one that made me draw breath at the sight of.Its Pauline Bonaparte by Canova,very famous but worth the journey.Quite a tale to it too.

venus_zoom.jpg
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    What do you think of Hockney's new project. Having worked in Full Sutton (Just outside Pocklington) I ve ridden exstensively in the Wolds and love Millington Woods and the surrounding area upto Driff and Beverley.

When I saw the concept piloted on County Tracks on BBC it didnt gel with me , but having seen some of the work now I really like the effect.

As for the original question Edward Hoppers "Night Hawks" appeals to me as I ve always wanted to own an Airstream Diner or trailer.

Yikes does that make me "Trailer Trash".
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    I like David Shephard's work..... be it old steam loco's or wildlife I just like his style

also David Curtis...his work in oils or watercolours is outstsanding

I do watercolour...some of my work on my Flickr site below

Your flickr site was a bit of an eye opener mate!!!!

Good job on the artwork, great job on the physique!

My favourite is what I bought my parents for christmas, Henry Moore, they were stunned. I need a new bike and the original Moore was cheaper!

If money was no object then any Turner with the sea in it. I look at his paintings and just see pure genius.

Like Hockney stuff, nice colours!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I recently managed to get a couple of prints from the "Ghost Of Gone Birds" exhibition in London towards the end of last year for Mrs Ron. From those I would have loved an original from Ralph Steadman.

Pushing my luck... a vase from Grayson Perry please.
  • Grayson perry is funny - one of the most creative and unassuming artists around. his tomb of the unknown crafts looks super.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. Still haven't figured out how to upload pics (Mods - what's wrong with copy and paste?) so someone feel free to do it for me. Hope you like it.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Ignore me, won't let me post photo at work.
  • nevman
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcBko0oYxa6FPR2De6V8vQY33lNwOc1azu0k-qkSf9qr_V9ABr

Nighthawks-seems appropriate here.You see this scene in several modern films,I would love to see the original.
    There is another I like that I will try to find.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • nevman
    Gas%20Edward%20Hopper.jpg

Early Sunday Morning.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • MattC59
    Having thought, I love this:

violin1.jpg

It's a trompe l’œil (trick the eye) painted around 1723 by Jan van der Vaart. It's painted on a door in Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. It's quite stunning. I've seen it may times and still fail to see that it's not a real violin hanging on the door.
  • Aggieboy
    ^^^^^^^^^

Nice, just looked it up. Never heard of it before. Wouldn't that be great to have in your house, until the wife says "No, I want the door white gloss" -

116844523.832H9mzz._MG_5049Edit.jpg
  • nevman wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcBko0oYxa6FPR2De6V8vQY33lNwOc1azu0k-qkSf9qr_V9ABr

Nighthawks-seems appropriate here.You see this scene in several modern films,I would love to see the original.
    There is another I like that I will try to find.

Thanks for that. Like Jack Vettriano as well - probably because it's a similar style.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • MattC59
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^

Nice, just looked it up. Never heard of it before. Wouldn't that be great to have in your house, until the wife says "No, I want the door white gloss" -

116844523.832H9mzz._MG_5049Edit.jpg

If you're ever in that neck of the woods, I can highly recommend going to see it. The pic abovee really doesn't do it any justice at all. It's a completely flat door, even the paneling and wood grain is painted in.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Like you Aggieboy, I'm going to need a bigger garden.

I'll have this please:
      11rsznr.jpg
      photo credit

It may not look much in the photo, but this static lump of metal has such a dynamic sense of movement of the Spitfire in flight that it never fails to lift my heart and bring a smile to my face (despite it being stuck in the middle of a roundabout beside a retail park near Birmingham).
    • fish156 wrote:
      Like you Aggieboy, I'm going to need a bigger garden.

I'll have this please:
        11rsznr.jpg
        photo credit

It may not look much in the photo, but this static lump of metal has such a dynamic sense of movement of the Spitfire in flight that it never fails to lift my heart and bring a smile to my face (despite it being stuck in the middle of a roundabout beside a retail park near Birmingham).

I reckon that was worth clicking my way round the roundabout on google street view. http://g.co/maps/xg7ch
      • davis
        davis Posts: 2,506
        Ever since I went to New Zealand I've always liked Brian Brake's work... Here's a favourite:

Woman.viewing.Queen.Elizabeth.II.at.a.Myohaung.Day.service.in.Lagos.Cathedral,Nigeria.Brake.Brian.jpg?irn=181117&width=640&height=640

That's a woman in Nigeria watching the Queen. Flipping Queen should've been watching her. I will own a print of that someday...

Edit: More here
        Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
      • The%20Temptation%20of%20St.%20Anthony.jpg

This please...