Newbie Training Advice

DylanM
DylanM Posts: 26
I have not cycled for maybe 3 years and my fitness is pretty much gone, but I have now decided to get back into it.
I have a few questions.

I have started using my turbo trainer and following the CTS Cycling for Fitness 60min workout.
Should I always try and have a days rest afterwards?
My plan is to do this workout 3 days per week for the first few weeks then maybe go up to four.

Would doing some swimming once or twice a week be a good idea to improve fitness in addition to my cycling?

I bought a new cycle computer that has a HRM, which I have never used before. If on some parts of the workout, I'm up at my max heart rate. I'm guessing this is ok to train at this level, or is it the more you can push towards your maximum the better?

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    You may or may not need a rest day after a session, that depends entirely on your situation, how tired you feel etc.

I would say build up, either intensity or volume, gradually. Other sports will help with general fitness, but they are unlikely to help much with cycling fitness.

With regards to your MaxHR, unless you have determined this with a MaxHR test or took your HR from the end of a 10 mile TT for example, I wouldn't worry too much about what the Garmin reports, you might not actually be near your true MaxHR. Getting fit is not all about pushing to the maximum each time though, if you have to have a day off the bike after each session, then easing off slightly and getting on the bike more regularly would help better with fitness.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Building a solid base fitness on 3 or so hours per week? Emphasis on the word 'base'.
    Difficult I would think.
    Swimming is nice but a side line for this.

Dont know about the CTS training vids, but Spinervals do do a 'base building' dvd set.
  • DylanM
    DylanM Posts: 26
    Sounds pretty much like the quicker I increase my hours in the saddle the better for my fitness!

Any recommendations for another turbo training video? I really like the CTS cycling for fitness but I'm sure 4 times a week I will get pretty sick of it soon. Maybe it's better to alternate with another?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Without knowing more about 'why' you want to improve fitness, at this stage I would favour just getting out on the road rather than sitting on a turbo. But if you are going to do turbo sessions, at the moment I would just concentrate on spinning at a reasonable intensity for an hour or so - I wouldn't start with structured turbo sessions or intervals just yet...
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly your fitness returns.

Swimming is a excellent for general fitness and wellbeing and is well worth the time commitment (as long as your technique is ok). Also gives you an alternative if the wind and rain prevent cycling outside and you are sick of the turbo.

I find the 220 minus age hrm rule + the zones is a general guide at best. It might apply to the average slob couch potato but anyone I know who has ever had any level of fitness whatsoever seems to run a lot higher numbers than they (apparently) should. I would be more worried if my heart rate was too slow.