Tacx Flow trainer

mjm22
mjm22 Posts: 13
Just setup and been on my Tacx Flow for the first time and loved it. Although I see that I can connect a HRM, one is not included in the box. Strangely, although the documentation talks about the features a HRM provides when connected to the Flow it doesn't actually give any indication of compatible devices.

Does anyone have a list of compatible devices or know of any that work with the Tacx Flow? Do they have to be coded or non coded. I suspect coded is another term for digital and non-coded for analogue?

If Digital does it have to be 5kHz, Bluetooth or 2.4GHz W.I.N.D. or other protocol?

I think that Polar A-Series is the Analogue non coded series. I'm not sure about M-Series and S-Series, though I guess these are later series of Polar HRM's that employ digital (coded) transmission?

When out at the weekend I use an Android device and am looking at the Zephyr HxM Bluetooth but I suspect that this may not connect to the Tacx Flow, so I may be buying two HRM's?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I beleive you just use an uncoded HRM belt. I will try and get some information from a guy I know that works for the distributors.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I have a Fortius and my Coded T31 works with the head unit, as well as my uncoded Cycleops HRM strap
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I used to get HR when using my coded Polar belt, though it was never accurate compared with what the Polar unit said. I know it doesn't work with ANT+ belts though, well my Garmin one doesn't work anyhow.

Here you go from the guy who I know.

most analogue belts, polar and polar coded, vdo, sigma. The only analogue HRB I have found not to work was a Timex.

I hope this is of some help.
  • mjm22
    mjm22 Posts: 13
    Thanks guys, a really great help. I will update the thread after I have tried one out..
  • I have the flow, you want a polar non digital chest strap. A new one can be purchased for aroun £20.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    As above, but I have found the Polar T31 coded or uncoded work.

However, I use a cheap Polar wristwatch HRM instead of the one on the Flow, as on the Flow the heart rate reading seems to jump around every so often reading impossibly high values of >220bpm which then ruins the heart rate stats for the session.

If you look around on the Internet you can often buy a polar HRM and chest strap for the same cost of just the chest strap so I'd do that.
  • I bought a Kalanji 100 HR watch from Decathlon which comes with a non coded strap which works for me on the white headunit with blue button - £14.99