What forks would you refit to a Cube Acid, Taking Dart 3 off

2»

Comments

• D4V1D wrote:
    Brilliant. They've turned up and first impression is how light they feel, I just need to get them fitted into the bike. I'm missing the star washer that holds the top cap on to the top of the fork tube. Is it possible to remove this from the old forks?.

it is posseble but it takes a fair bit of chapping and as the steerer is thicker at the bottom it squashes the star nut more, you have to bend it back to shape so you will have a slightly weaker star nut........for 99p i would just buy a new one, much less hassle
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I got a reba rl from merlin this week, and no it didn't come with a shock pump. Only 20 quid extra though, still a good deal i think....
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    My mates just bought some of the recons for his cube, from on-one thanks to this thread. Obviously not the worlds best forks, but should be a hell of a lot better than the darts. And especially at £100 :)
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Hi it didn't come with a pump, but I've got a high and low pressure nitrogen charge kit at work so I'll be ok using that and the gas I will be using to fill it up with will be free of moisture. Last night my brother inlaw and I used some heat and large hammers and removed the bottom steering cup by warming up the cross member and then knocking the steering tube downwards to free it of. (work fine, no damage to the bearing cup) secondary we thought how hard could it be to knock that star nut through the steering tube and out the other side. screwed a bolt into it and hammered it through, it was easy and is still in great shape.
    As we were doing this we managed to shift one of the fork "down" tubes free of it mounting I think with a bit more heat and some work I could remove both down tube free of the cross member. Its only the cross member which is all twisted out of shape. So I could strip the lower part and sell them as spares, but I don't think there would be much of a market for them.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • D4V1D
    as a side note, I weighed my old Dart3's which were as I expected 2200g but the Reba RL Dual Air were only 1450g maybe so more gas will increase the weight 1625g as that's what their advertised as being.
    Cube Acid 2010
  • D4V1D
    I took the cube up to Llandegla today, The new forks have transformed this bike for the better. I'm really impressed with them. Thanks guys.
    Cube Acid 2010
  • D4V1D
    Quick re-cap, the forks are ace, much better than the Darts but then they are more money.
    Cube Acid 2010
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    D4V1D wrote:
    Quick re-cap, the forks are ace, much better than the Darts but then they are more money.

You get what you pay for!