Epic Wiggle Warranty Return Customer Service Nightmare

brightoncyclinggardener
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Epic Wiggle Warranty Return Customer Service Nightmare

So...I emailed Wiggle on 25th September telling them that my frame creaked. If you pushed the top tube and down tube together in your hands it creaked. Bummer.

They said I could return the frame. I boxed and returned it and waited. Gently annoyed not to have received confirmation that they'd received the frame (as promised) I emailed them. They had it (7th October) and it was in a queue for assessment. They'd let me know asap.

11th Oct I email for update. They say “they returned your frame to our supplier we're just awaiting for their assessment”. Brilliant. Thanks for letting me know, I think. They'll obviously let me know asap what they say...

18th Oct again I mail for update. 19th Oct email from them saying “before they proceed with a warranty claim they're insisting on return of the complete bike”. Grrr. So I package all the bits and send them back. I've now spent ~ £60 on shipping.

For 2 months (nearly 3 months since original contact) I chase them and every time I contact them they say they are waiting for news from the supplier. In the week before Xmas finally, they say, OK, pick a bike of same value and we'll send it out, should be with you before Xmas. Amazing.

This is where it gets interesting...

Later that day, they email me saying – it turns out that you are not the original owner and so the warranty is void and your bike will be returned to you. Brilliant. They have contacted the account holder to ask if he is the owner.

So, original owner? I bought the bike second hand (it was a year old), the original owner claimed not to know about the creak and said I could return it to Wiggle on his behalf as I had all the paper work. That's what I'd done.

So after Xmas I email Wiggle asking what's happening. Finally a manager gets involved and says that I should contact their supplier (Raleigh) directly and gives me their details. I speak to a very helpful man there who is surprised to hear from me (Wiggle apparently shouldn't have given me his details) and apologetic that I had had this wait. He then tells me that they only received the bike from Wiggle on 7th December, 2 months after I sent it to Wiggle! He says the bike is now in Germany with the manufacturer (Corratec) who are assessing it...

12th Jan I email Wiggle to let them know the useful information I'd got from Raleigh and ask why they'd told me for nearly 2 months that their supplier was assessing it when they still had it in their workshop. Also why had they waited 3 months before emailing the account holder.

13th Jan Wiggle email the original owner saying that the bike I chose before Xmas is packed and ready for dispatch. Amazing I think, bit miffed they'd not told me directly though.

18th Jan Wiggle email me saying that the delay had been because they were waiting for a return number from Raleigh, nothing about having misinformed me about it having been returned months previously. They said that the original owner had informed them that they were no longer the owner. Note: there was no mention of the bike that they had informed the original owner was being dispatched.

So...God I'm bored of this, thanks for sticking with me if you're still reading. I email them asking what's with the bike dispatch emails etc. They claim they have never had warranty return from someone who is not the original owner before (Really?). They do not tell me why they didn't email the original account holder at the start of the process rather than waiting 3 months. They tell me that the emails on 13th Jan about the bike being ready for dispatch were from the order made on 19th Dec and had been processed by mistake. Amazing. Does it normally take them a month to get a bike built and ready for dispatch?

So, despite 4 months of messing me around, lying about where the bike is, never once emailing me with any information unless I email them first, mistakenly emailing the owner saying that a replacement is ready they still won't take any responsibility for the situation. And I'm still without a bike.

Can anyone beat this epic (and ongoing...) tale of woe?
Gary Fisher Big Sur
Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
Giant Cadex3
Viscount 600ax
Giant TCR

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,147
    i blame wiggle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Later that day, they email me saying – it turns out that you are not the original owner and so the warranty is void and your bike will be returned to you.

To be honest - given that you personally didnt buy the bike from Wiggle then i would say that Wiggle could have washed their hands of it as the Warranty at that point would generally be with the manufacturer (if a transferable warranty - did you inform Raleigh of the change of ownership?). I'm not surprised they said they had never had a warranty claim like that as really - they never had a contract of sale with you.

It does seem that they may be acting as an intermediary on your behalf with Raleigh, after checking with the original owner that you are now the legal owner.

Raleigh need the full bike to honour the warranty, which given that Wiggle didnt know you were the original owner at the outset would seem reasonable in hindsight. Seems that they simply didnt keep good enough records to contact you rather than the original owner (who i imagine Wiggle are telling Raleigh is the claimant).

Hopefully you'll get sorted out with the warranty replacement very soon. Maybe look back on it when you do and be thankful as it sounds like you are quite lucky to actually get anywhere with the warranty claim.
  • If Wiggle had returned the bike 4 months ago on that basis I'd have no complaint. I would have returned it to the original owner who would have returned it to Wiggle so they could mess him around for 3 months about it.

You really don't think anyone else has returned a bike they hadn't bought new, really?

Wiggle should have known Raleigh needed the whole bike for the warranty, no?

Yes, hopefully I'll get it sorted out soon, I fail to see how I'm in any way lucky in this respect.
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
    Giant Cadex3
    Viscount 600ax
    Giant TCR
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I have to admit I'd usually assume that any manufacturer warranty would be void for anything I bought second hand (no matter how new it was) and I've never heard of anyone pursuing a warranty claim for a second hand item (caveat emptor and all that jazz).

As Wirral_Paul says, they have no contract of sale with you so technically they are not contracted to provide any service to you under the terms of the warranty; that only applies to the original owner. Fair play to you for trying, and it does look like it will be resolved for you eventually. I'm not surprised it's taking Wiggle a while to get it sorted, they probably have no procedures for dealing with this at all!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    If Wiggle had returned the bike 4 months ago on that basis I'd have no complaint. I would have returned it to the original owner who would have returned it to Wiggle so they could mess him around for 3 months about it.

How would that have helped you? Wouldnt it still be your bike that you'd be without??
    You really don't think anyone else has returned a bike they hadn't bought new, really?

They may try but legally havent got a leg to stand on. A 2nd owner has no contract of sale with the retailer and therefore they are under no legal obligation to do anything.
    Wiggle should have known Raleigh needed the whole bike for the warranty, no?
    Not until they knew the person returning the bike was not the original owner. As above, had Wiggle been dealing with the original owner then they would be liable for sorting the warranty issue if within the specific terms of contract. If the manufacturer offers a transferable warranty then its down to you making the warranty claim against them directly. Personally, i doubt you would stand a chance in court of enforcing a warranty claim as it sounds like your name wasnt the one registered with Raleigh? {url]http://www.raleigh.co.uk/Support/Warranty/[/url]
    Yes, hopefully I'll get it sorted out soon, I fail to see how I'm in any way lucky in this respect.

You bought a 2nd hand bike where Caveat Emptor would typically be considered the norm..... and Wiggle have seemingly squeezed through a warranty claim on your behalf - albeit very slow! You could be stuck with a cracked frame to be fair - so i'd consider that at least a small blessingeven if at the cost of the postage and time.

Sorry to not be more positive - but legally it appears you would have no claim against either retailer or manufacturer.

At least its happened in winter hey!! Roll on spring with your new frame. 8)
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Did they at least send you a pack of Haribo?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • How would that have helped you? Wouldnt it still be your bike that you'd be without??
    I could have used the parts on another frame. I'd be better off then that not having a bike all this time.
    I'm not surprised it's taking Wiggle a while to get it sorted, they probably have no procedures for dealing with this at all!
    What they did in this case was wait 3 months before contacting the account holder. My point in this respect is that they should have done this straight away.

I'm not standing in court arguing about Wiggle's legal responsibilities, I'm on a forum letting people know about the problems I've had with wiggle. I've no idea if I will get a warranty replacement or not and I know that posting on here (and other forums) might reduce my chances but I refuse to be messed about for this long and do nothing about it. If you think their service has been OK that's fine.

Winter doesn't begin in September down here Paul so I've been without the bike for a significant time when I was supposed to be training.
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
    Giant Cadex3
    Viscount 600ax
    Giant TCR
  • Did they at least send you a pack of Haribo?

That's the worst bit, not even a packet of forking Haribo. Got some off Superstar Components today though, that was a pleasant surprise. Wiggle (or someone with better customer service) should have patented that idea.
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
    Giant Cadex3
    Viscount 600ax
    Giant TCR
  • Wirral_paul
    How would that have helped you? Wouldnt it still be your bike that you'd be without??
    I could have used the parts on another frame. I'd be better off then that not having a bike all this time.
    I'm not surprised it's taking Wiggle a while to get it sorted, they probably have no procedures for dealing with this at all!
    What they did in this case was wait 3 months before contacting the account holder. My point in this respect is that they should have done this straight away.

Well really they should have told you straight away that there was nothing they could do to help you - but i am guessing at the outset that they didnt realise (or check) that you werent the original purchaser?? It then seems that they've simply tried to wangle a warranty claim through in trying to help you, and this has meant they have inconvenienced you further.

Can Wiggle not post you all the parts back and then you can buy a frame?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Have you tried asking them to send you your creaky frame back? I mean, clearly you'd prefer that to having no bike, right? At least you get your components back. If not, then it's a case of not being able to have your cake and eat it...

Legally they don't have to service your warranty claim, as explained by others. Sounds like you 'gamed' them, and you knew you were taking a risk. Why are you complaining about it going wrong if you knew the risk?

Get your components back, draw a line under the frame, get a new frame and be happy. You gamed them, which is fair play IMO, but you have to accept that you have lost the game. You're not entitled to a warranty replacement, so go buy a new frame.
  • EKIMIKE
    I guess you should change the title to 'Customer Service Miracle' - inasmuch as they even proceeded with you warranty claim. However Miracles aren't always as glamorous as we'd like to believe... i mean take a look at Mother Theresa (sorry, but i have a moniker to live up to: Troll)... :lol:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

I'm not standing in court arguing about Wiggle's legal responsibilities, I'm on a forum letting people know about the problems I've had with wiggle. I've no idea if I will get a warranty replacement or not and I know that posting on here (and other forums) might reduce my chances but I refuse to be messed about for this long and do nothing about it. If you think their service has been OK that's fine.

So, you've paid them nothing, bought nothing from them, but still expect to be treated as a customer? I think their service has been pretty good TBH.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • EKIMIKE
  • The bike is in Germany. The said they were going to return it to me a month ago.

I'm struggling to see anything miraculous in this. Forgive me.
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
    Giant Cadex3
    Viscount 600ax
    Giant TCR
  • So, you've paid them nothing, bought nothing from them, but still expect to be treated as a customer? I think their service has been pretty good TBH.
    That's fine, I value your opinion.
    Gary Fisher Big Sur
    Raleigh M-Trax M7000i
    Giant Cadex3
    Viscount 600ax
    Giant TCR
  • Wirral_paul
    To be honest, the only thing I find miraculous is that Wiggle didnt return the frame to you the second they found out you bought it 2nd hand.

Hope you get it sorted soon - one way or the other. I've been injured since August so know the frustration - which must be worse for you being simply bike-less
  • EKIMIKE
    A pinch of salt with the 'miracle' thing. It was tongue in cheek, if you will.

Your situation is bitter-sweet. Technically they are servicing you with a warranty that you had no entitlement to. But they're taking a damn age over it, leaving you without a bike. I don't think you should be criticising Wiggle though. They've taken it further than you could have ever realistically expected them to have, and these things always take time, especially on such unclear circumstances as a creaky frame.
  • Fault lies with the person who first accepted the warranty claim at Wiggle and the OP for trying it on. If the person at Wiggle had done there homework the OP would have a creaky bike still.
  • I symphatise with your frustration, but in fairness you don't have a case. When you buy second hand from a private, you save a bundle, essentially because you don't have a warranty on what you buy. That's why you should never pay more than half price even for a near new bike and a lot less for a well used one.

The all process was probably mis-handled by Wiggle, but you should have known from the start that you didn't stand a chance to get a refund/replacement, so it was all a waste of time (and money) really
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    I guess you should change the title to 'Customer Service Miracle' - inasmuch as they even proceeded with you warranty claim. However Miracles aren't always as glamorous as we'd like to believe... i mean take a look at Mother Theresa (sorry, but i have a moniker to live up to: Troll)... :lol:

I do agree with you here though ;-)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I do sympathise with your situation (to a point), my bikes are my pride and joy and having any problems with them is quite frustrating and demoralising [feelings of sympathy have now passed].

However, I'm surprised Wiggle have entertained you for this long. As you are not the original owner then Wiggle, from what I can tell, don't have any obligation to help you whatsoever. I would be taking this up with the original owner, do you really think he didn't know about this???

Regarding the lack of email updates, are you sure they haven't been contacting the original owner? As it seems that they probably have their details still on their records.

I've recently had two experiences of Wiggle CS:

1. Turbo trainer - Early Xmas present, used for 30 minutes and vibrations caused significant discomfort to every contact point. I contacted Wiggle, advised them of the problem and that I didn't have original packaging. They organised pickup withing 24 hrs. They confirmed that there was a problem with the turbo the day they took receipt and the refund was in my account within 5 days. Lots of polite, timely emails from their CS team.

2. Turbo trainer (the replacement) - I was locking the Q/R skewer and the cam just sheared off from the skewer. The metal looked fatigued and brittle. Contacted Wiggle CS, sending a photo of the skewer. This was late on a Friday night but I got an email at 0800 on the Sunday morning to confirm some details. Replacement was delivered the following Tuesday and no need to return the defective part.

Why am I telling you this - just to add some contrast to this thread. If you had been the original owner of the bike then I'm sure your experience would be a positive one and you probably wouldn't be posting about that though.

Good luck, at very least I hope you get reimbursed with the shipping costs but that would be a good will gesture IMO, not an obligation on Wiggles part.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Wiggle have nothing to do with this. They sold a working bike to somebody. You bought a creaking bike from that somebody. If I buy a used crankset on this forum the original retailer has absolutely no responsibility to me. Did you enclose the original sales receipt with the frame (with the first purchaser's name on it) and let Wiggle know you were the second owner?

Please retitle the thread:

Epic Failure To Understand Basic Consumer Rights

Wiggle must rub their hands together whenever there's a thread like this as they always appear reasonable and the OPs always look like like muppets.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    OMFG - Wiggle's fault again.

Time for the OP to read a little on contract law, and you should have looked at the warranty info ~(it rarely transfers to another owner). Your issue is with the seller, but it's buyers beware on second hand stuff !
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    ^^^^^^ what they all said

To be honest you're lucky its gone this far. If Wiggle are dealing with the original owner he could have easily told them (and you) to take a hike.

Buy second hand products at your risk.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    DrLex wrote:

Your identical post on the crudcatcher section of this forum appears to have similar, but less sympathetic replies................... :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    FFS read your post back to yourself and see some sense.

Why not give the bike to the seller in the first place and save yourself the grief?

Fair play to Wiggle as they could have washed their hands but they have tried to help although dragging their heels. Why should they out of their way especially when you decide to post this on every bike forum you can find.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Top marks to the lads at wiggle for dealing with this.I still reckon it is a stealth advert....if not can I send some creaky bits back to them and get some new ones........ :shock: :!: :mrgreen: :roll:
    bagpuss
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Gratuitously Stolen from the Identithread in the MTB section

152882.jpg

A* Northwind!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver