Olympics: How the f*ck am I gonna get to and from work

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Previously I thought riding through or past Straford would be cool, however it just dawned on me. How the f*ck am I gonna get to work.

Route 1: Train from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes (just after ilford) this train goes through Stratford which is where the olympic games will be held. Right now you'll be lucky to see more than 5 people in each carriage on the trains going out of Liverpool Street in the Morning. The trains during the evening going into Liverpool Street are empty as well.

During the games however I'm expecting to see trains packed and stacked high full of people, which mean no room for my bike.

Route 2: Ride my bike from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes. Now this isn't usually a problem as like the train there is less traffic heading away from Liverpool Street in the morning. Likewise there is less traffic heading towards Liverpool Street in the evening. However during the games I'm expecting a considerable amount of increased traffic going towards Stratford in the Morning and towards the City in the evening.

What am I going to do?

These "olympic lanes" can cyclists ride in them too?

Help.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Cyclists can't ride in the olympic lanes, as far as I'm aware.

Why can't you ride your bike to work?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Rent a room in Goodmayes and go home for the weekends. You can always Skype the family :wink:

It'll be interesting. My employers are currently trying to work out that problem too. I guess they'll offer flexi-time/work from home for those who can.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Cycle to the next stop after Stratford on the way out and pick up train there? You should be OK coming back I would have thought, just get off when it gets packed. Or cycle the whole way...
  • DonDaddyD
    bails87 wrote:

I can but that, as with the train, involves riding through Stratford.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Simply hang one of those gold plastic toy medals around your neck and carry a javelin with you whenever you travel. Apart from having to sign the odd autograph it should smooth your progress nicely!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I can but that, as with the train, involves riding through Stratford.

Wear Team GB kit - you'll get cheered through and people will get out the way
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    BigMat wrote:
    Cycle to the next stop after Stratford on the way out and pick up train there? You should be OK coming back I would have thought, just get off when it gets packed. Or cycle the whole way...
    Interesting. Annoyingly, I'd have to detour my route to get on a train at the station (Maryland I think) after Stratford.

I could ride the full route - whether this could be done everyday, I'm not sure. It's the getting through Stratford (town centre) that is the biggest issue as it's where the olympic park is and it'll be mayhem.

The Route back, well technically I'll be on th train well before it gets to Stratford. I could get off at Stratford and ride home from there. Or just look miserable and stay on the train until Livepool street and have my bike get in the way of everyone.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Ensure your bike is filthy. Guaranteed an exclusion zone around you :wink:
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Are we really gonna get the influx of people that's being suggested?
    Seems very optimistic. It'll be busy, but will it really be that noticeable?
    exercise.png
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Ride out the A13 (Commercial Road) to Caanning Town & then up the A124 (Barking Road) to Goodmayes - simples
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    31eBlaHZ5vL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    TheStone wrote:

I honestly think it'll be a nightmare, mate. I'll be working from home.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    TheStone wrote:

Are you being serious?!
    Have you ever been to London? Ever seen a rush hour? DDD has to go past the main stadia of the the Olympics! Rush hour (thats a misnomer if ever I've heard one) is bad enough under normal circumstances, throw in tens of thousands of extra tourists and it will be a nightmare. DDD is right to be concerned.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'll be mainly working from home. But, yeah, it'll be grim. The (now partial) closure of Hammersmith flyover has gridlocked other bits of SW london during rush hour. The extra olympics traffic will have a similar effect in the east, I reckon
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Rent a room in Goodmayes and go home for the weekends. You .........

for a small say nominal fee, I can offer you my Garden shed in Goodmayes - or for a slightly larger fee, the dog will let you share its kennel

[ BTW I have neither a garden shed or a dog but I am v near Goodmayes- infact a couple of hundred yards from your work DDD]

Perhaps you could do my work and I'll go to your place of work
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    I must have seen you by now! Interestingly enough Spen, how will you be dealing with the extra traffic?
    Food Chain number = 4

• TheStone
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Are you being serious?!
    Have you ever been to London? Ever seen a rush hour? DDD has to go past the main stadia of the the Olympics! Rush hour (thats a misnomer if ever I've heard one) is bad enough under normal circumstances, throw in tens of thousands of extra tourists and it will be a nightmare. DDD is right to be concerned.

Not convinced. The stadium only holds 80k. There doesn't seem to be much overlap between the events at the Olympic Park, so what's the difference between that and an England game at Wembley, or Arsenal at home?

And it's the summer, so maybe 1 million (?) less children going to/from school.
    exercise.png
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    My mum works for a roofing company which is just off a normal road which is to be turned into a Olympic lane near Stratford. They have yet to be told how they are expected to get the vans in and out of their depot as of yet.
  • EKE_38BPM
    TheStone wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Are you being serious?!

Not convinced. The stadium only holds 80k. There doesn't seem to be much overlap between the events at the Olympic Park, so what's the difference between that and an England game at Wembley, or Arsenal at home?

And it's the summer, so maybe 1 million (?) less children going to/from school.

Right, I'm guessing that you live in a cave so cannot comprehend a crowd of more than 4 or 5 people.
    The athletic stadium holds 80k
    The aquatic centre holds 17.5k
    Basketball 12k
    BMX 6k
    Volleyball 6k
    Hockey 16k

There will be tourists milling around, officials, athletes, media etc for the olympics itself plus lots of people just milling around enjoying the atmosphere.

Are you really comparing a one off event like an Arsenal game to the three weeks of the "Greatest show on Earth"?
    Come on. Engage your brain cell and have a good hard think about it!

• DonDaddyD
    It's not just one staium or multiple events happening at the same time, there is the whole Olympic park, visitors and revellers and then there is the small matter of that gigantic shopping centre that is sure to attract more people.

And even without the Olympic tourists - transport disruptions folding two lanes into one so the other lane can be used for "Olympic" traffic is going to have a knock on effect.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ben6899
    I am preparing myself to endure some pretty substandard Tube Etiquette.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • TheStone
    The media will be large. But those event capacities are tiny in the whole scheme of things and there's not that much overlap.

The Olympic lanes will probably cause the most issues, but generally people will stay away in anticipation of the increased traffic. Are people really gonna go shopping at Westfield deliberately because the Olympics are on and there will be more traffic?
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I am preparing myself to endure some pretty substandard Tube Etiquette.

Hell yeah.

Was explaining to a chap that just because he's tall doesn't mean he should put his legs where I need to stand only this morning.
  • Ben6899
    TheStone wrote:
    Are people really gonna go shopping at Westfield deliberately because the Olympics are on and there will be more traffic?

Yes. The general public are fucking idiots.
    Ben

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm planning a holiday. Anyone here been to Croatia?

The Olympic traffic lanes thing annoys me. Why can't they use the river as much as possible?
  • Ben6899
    My mate got a job as one of the VIP chauffeurs. He hasn't driven in 12yrs. I look forward to his stories.
    Ben

• TheStone
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    Are people really gonna go shopping at Westfield deliberately because the Olympics are on and there will be more traffic?

Yes. The general public are ******* idiots.

..... was thinking that as I typed !!
    exercise.png
  • EKE_38BPM
    The more I think about this, the more I doubt The Stone's sanity!
    Obviously not a city dweller or just someone with no imagination.

• Ben6899
    TheStone wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

Yes. The general public are ******* idiots.

..... was thinking that as I typed !!

You should see the tourists where I live - they're like fucking moths to a flame; zig-zagging all over the footway, stepping out in front of cars, buses and bikes. I think one can multiply this erratic behaviour by 100 come July.
    Ben

• DonDaddyD
    I may go on holiday.
    Food Chain number = 4