Need help with Soul build on a budget

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've wanted to build one up for ages but it just never happened for some reason. After looking round the shops for the last few weeks and not finding any bike I liked or they were too expensive I'm going to build a Soul up. Not got the frame yet as there out of stock on the small orange but I have headset, saddle and grips so far.

I've got £1000 to spend and that's not including the frame although the less the better :mrgreen:
I'd like 120mm fork Rockshox or do I need more or less travel ?
I don't want a tripple up front so waht's my options ?
I'd like some Avid brakes, what size and model ?

For the rest of the components, point me in the direction of some bargins online :wink:

Thanks.

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Triple: I've been running a 2x9 with a 36tooth middle ring for about a year now and find it's a very nice world to live in. Or, why not get rid of some of the cost and go 1x10 - no need for a front mech, shifter, cost of two extra rings and cabling. Depends on your riding style and terrain though.
  • s1mon
    Depends on your riding style and terrain though.
    Just general all round trails. Think I'd like a couple of rings up front but don't think I'd need 3.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Avid elixir 5s are generally very good, compare them with the price of Shimano brakes too, I've heard deore are really good for the price, but you could probably go SLX for your money. Shimano brakes are much better these days than they used to be. See whose got them on offer.
    General trail riding - 180mm front rotor, 160mm rear. Pretty standard really.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not get a built bike with all the bits on you want, you'll almost certainly pay less than sourcing it all seperately, and at he end of it you have a frame to flog!

Personally I'd run 2x9(or 10) with either 22/36 or 26/26 up front unless you are confident you will be OK with running 1x9/10 - my daughter gets on fine with it although she had to drop from a 36T front to a 32T whe she moved to Aberystwyth as it has some killer hills!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Superstar components for wheels, stem, pedals etc, Rockshok Reba 120mm, slx double and bash, deore brakes
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • s1mon
    100mm or 120mm forks :?

Thanks 1mancity2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You can't expect anyone else to tell you that - you need to make your own mind up.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd say 120mm+ on a Soul.....
    100mm looks wrong apart from anything else, chap I ride with uses 120mm Reba's

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want to build up on a budget rather than off the peg then I'd look at:

Deore 10 speed groupset - £225:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... OUP-10.htm

XT/WTB wheelset - £120:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... WHEELS.htm

Rockshox Reba RLT 120mm - £280:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 68791.html

Then finishing kit form Exotic ie the stem, carbon seatpost, bars. Add an FSA headset, £50 set of folding tyres, Charge Spoon saddle, Wellgo MG1 pedals and you are about done for £850. Or upgrade to the SLX groupset.
  • s1mon
    Would it be best to get some Reba's with maxle ?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Since you are also purchasing wheels which removes an additional cost implication then yes, I would recommend a thru axle fork. My 20mm Reba has made the steering of my Kona so much more precise.
  • s1mon
    Would Juicy 3's be ok ? 185/160

What mount do I need for the Reba's ?
  • 1mancity2
    Juicys will be ok, not the best or most powerful, the reba will be post mount so you want the correct size for a 185 rotor.
  • s1mon
    The ones I'm looking at are 'IS' mount can I get a conversion bracket ?
  • 1mancity2
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=359

Also the soul will take upto a 140mm fork.
  • supersonic
    Avoid juicy. Get maxle if you want a stiffer fork, but at weight penalty.
  • s1mon
    Ok well I'm either going for Elixir 5's or SLX's but not sure if I'll go 185/160 or just 160/160. Hmmmm

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... KE-SET.htm

or

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... r_1946.htm
  • supersonic
    Go for the slx groupset at merlin, great value.
  • s1mon
    Don't need the whole groupset picked up a few SLX/XT parts second hand :wink: still need brakes, crankset and few other little bits.
  • 1mancity2
    Buy the groupset then sell what you don't use.
  • s1mon
    Do Shimano do silver hubs :?
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Need some suggestions for,

Riser bars
    Rims (using Hope hubs or shall I use Shimano hubs, would like them in silver either way)
    Tyres
    Elixir 5's or SLX M665's

Thanks.
  • 1mancity2
    What rise and width, price, colour for bars?
    Hope hubs with stans rims or mavic
    Tyres personal preference Maxxix minion front, high roller rear
    Slx
  • s1mon
    I've been told to go for a lowish rise, not sure on width though. In black.

XC717 or XM719 ?
  • 1mancity2
    Loads of bar options get the rise but go wider than you think, you can always cut them down.
    Xm719 for me.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I've been told to go for a lowish rise, not sure on width though. In black.

Why have you been told that?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If it's got to be fixed length, then 120mm is spot on... Buuuut, Soul suits everything from 100mm to 140mm tbh, it brings out different sides of its character. If you can find a suitable u-turn Revelation, then that'd be perfect (not TALAS, you want something that works properly in the shorter settings).

There's a chap on Singletrackworld selling a set of Revelation Team u-turns... They're 120-150 so not quite perfect (can't be shortened as far as I know) but they're absolutely superb forks and only £220.

Wheels, well, depends what you want to do on it but I'd go for the absolute best wheels and forks you can, even if it means cutting costs elsewhere. If you can stretch to a set of Hope Hoops with Crests that'd be very good indeed, not the strongest though.

I suppose a good option is to buy a Carbon 456 and sell the frame ;) Quite a suitable build kit I reckon, other'n the seatpost. Or a Boardman HT.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    wheelwise id have to say stans crest on pro2's, superb wheels and ive used them over the last year with no problems what so ever, just bought another pair in fact on superstar hubs. for bars i'd go some of the new superstar flatland 780's can be cut down to suit then if you like, or they do 700mm bar for the same price if that sounds like too much. the other bar i really like is the kcnc sc bone 15mm riser, nice and wide at 710mm, but very light and tough, bit more expensive though at about £50, but well worth it imo. For the brakes i'd look at rosebikes, they have all the new style shimano brakes for silly money, £130 for the new M785 xt brakes!
  • s1mon
    Hi,

Whats my options for either a double chainrings up front or a single ? I'd like them in black and 175mm. Will these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28019 work with 10 speed ?