For sale - One careful driver - Luxury Liner

One Man And His Bike
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
If you see any adverts in the classifieds for one of these, take my word, the driver wasn't careful, in fact he was a bit of a Muppet and liked to show off.

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Well best I cancel the bargain honeymoon I just used your credit card to pay for.

Ooopsie, my bad...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I've got a sinking feeling
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Watching the news about the stricken cruise ship and the Sky presenter said "she's lying on her side with a gash the size of a tennis court". I just happened to glance at the missus and now it's all kicked off.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    siamon wrote:
    Watching the news about the stricken cruise ship and the Sky presenter said "she's lying on her side with a gash the size of a tennis court". I just happened to glance at the missus and now it's all kicked off.
    Borrowing for facebook
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    siamon wrote:

Potential Post of the Year. It's early days, but that's gonna be right up there come Christmas 2012.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    siamon wrote:
    Borrowing for facebook

Wouldn't bother, it's already all over Facebook, a mate of mine posted it on there a few hours ago.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    The mystery to me is why anyone chooses to go on a cruise with 4000 other people. Is it just me who thinks that being on a monster ship with that number of other people is really not where I'd want to be let alone pay to go on holiday on it?

Ruth
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    The mystery to me is why anyone chooses to go on a cruise with 4000 other people. Is it just me who thinks that being on a monster ship with that number of other people is really not where I'd want to be let alone pay to go on holiday on it?

Maybe one of the guests was a cyclist and asked the captain if there was a good climb to be found on board. He was only trying to accommodate a paying guest!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

Perhaps the mystery to those 4,000 people is why anyone would want to dress up in spandex and ride around on their bicycles in all weathers before planning a holiday where they go abroad and dress up in spandex and ride their bicycles around?

Just wonderin' like .....
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    siamon wrote:
    woke up in the middle of the night and laughed at this-to myself of course. :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    + 1 for the post of the year.

What I ranted about yesterday to no one in particular was The Jeremy Whine show on R2 - asking the question does anyone trust the cruise liners anymore? I mean FFS, a plane goes down with 100% fatalities, a cruise liner capsizes 4000 people on board and 16 are dead, the numbers say 0.004% fatalities. No I don't trust Jeremy Whine either and would wish to point out I was in someone else's office at the time.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Redhog14 wrote:

What I ranted about yesterday to no one in particular was The Jeremy Whine show on R2 - asking the question does anyone trust the cruise liners anymore? I mean FFS, a plane goes down with 100% fatalities, a cruise liner capsizes 4000 people on board and 16 are dead, the numbers say 0.004% fatalities. No I don't trust Jeremy Whine either and would wish to point out I was in someone else's office at the time.

When I heard about the sinking, I wondered how many people just die anyway on a cruise, be it from boredom or old age.

The death rate in the UK for instance, is 9.33 per 1000 per year (source here http://www.globalhealthfacts.org/data/t ... spx?ind=90). I make that about 0.7 deaths per week for a population of 4000 (a shipful). I suppose that it could easily be more when you consider the age-group that's on the cruise.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Ben6899
    Redhog14 wrote:

My rant.

"It was just like Titanic"

Except it wasn't. Was it?

1. You didn't sink in the middle of the Atlantic - you could see land FFS - nevermind land, you could see fecking road signs
    2. You're not dead
    3. There were enough lifeboats
    4. No crappy love story
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Ben6899 wrote:
    My rant.
    1. You didn't sink in the middle of the Atlantic - you could see land FFS - nevermind land, you could see fecking road signs
    2. You're not dead
    4. No crappy love story
    +1

I heard someone come out with that BS and I agree Ben, nothing like Titanic.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Some people did die though.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    And it was a boat, so 2 out of three or so ain't bad ..........
  • Ben6899

Rick. I don't doubt for a minute that it was a horrendous experience for all involved, but it was NOTHING LIKE what happened to the Titanic.

Sorry, but I'm an Engineer. A man of facts.
    Ben

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rick. I don't doubt for a minute that it was a horrendous experience for all involved, but it was NOTHING LIKE what happened to the Titanic.

Probably not as bad as the people claiming that the London riots were like being in Afghanistan!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ben6899 wrote:

How d'ya know a fact is a fact? :P

You'd imagine the experience would be comparable to the titantic. Y'nkow, boat crashing, flooding, tipping over, everyone getting disorientated, fighting to get on lifeboats, etc etc. You can see where they're coming from.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Ben6899 wrote:

How d'ya know a fact is a fact? :P

You'd imagine the experience would be comparable to the titantic. Y'nkow, boat crashing, flooding, tipping over, everyone getting disorientated, fighting to get on lifeboats, etc etc. You can see where they're coming from.

Yeah but Celine Dion was not playing in the background it was more like "Jazz Grates" (sic).
  • Also one missing vital ingredient, a huge frigging iceberg...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Collection only ! No delivery !
  • antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    Great Marketing Department!

6715878061_e13d0304b2.jpg
  • antlaff wrote:
    Great Marketing Department!

6715878061_e13d0304b2.jpg

Heh.

Notice people are still advertising cruise holidays all over TV currently, you'd think they'd keep a low profile for a moment till the ripples on the shore have settled, but nooooo...
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    The captain can kiss his fair trial goodbye after the release of the audio tapes.
  • He's Italian (IIRC), probably end up with a seat in Government.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Redhog14 wrote:

My rant.

2. You're not dead
    4. No crappy love story

Had exactly the same conversation in the office on Monday. It must be us engineers! You also missed out that if you end up in the Med, even in January, you have a chance of getting picked up before freezing to death.

Titanic 1514 out of 2201 on board died, this time about 30 dead out of 4000. It's still a tragedy but nowhere near comparible. The Herald of Free Enterprise and numerous other sinkings have been worse.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Apparently the local model shop has a model of the Costa Concordia.

I've asked them if they'll put it on one side for me.....

Bob
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    also re titantic - I don't recall the captain making off in a taxi leaving the passengers and crew to fend for themselves.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    t4tomo wrote:
    also re titantic - I don't recall the captain making off in a taxi leaving the passengers and crew to fend for themselves.

Oh now be fair, did nt you read the latest headline? He did nt get in the lifeboat willingly, he tripped and fell into the lifeboat with the second and third in command! (no seriously, that is actually what he's saying now!) I mean, come on, you can't blame him for that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver