Genesis Day One Disc??

2»

Comments

• mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Looks like they made it :Dhttp://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-01/day-01-disc

Looks the biz - need to try one out carefully for size though, the TT length on the smallest size (52cm) is 545mm - might need a DH stem on it :shock:

j
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Are we gonna start seeing more road bikes with disc brakes? It seems to make sense on so many levels.

This looks incredible

1326489104684-pwg02b0b9mvb-670-75.jpg

Holy fork - I'm starting saving today - that's fantastic...

Aaaaahhh - this is the thread that cost me a shed-load of cash - couldn't remember where I'd first seen the Volagi but this is it!

Back a bit more OT - the Day One Alfine 11 is stunningly pricey when compared to the Day One Disc - is alfine 11 really worth £900 (ie more than it cost me to upgrade to Ultegra Di2 and more than double the price of the bike)?

Day One Disc looks like a good urban commuter
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Back a bit more OT - the Day One Alfine 11 is stunningly pricey when compared to the Day One Disc - is alfine 11 really worth £900 (ie more than it cost me to upgrade to Ultegra Di2 and more than double the price of the bike)?

The Day One Alfine 11 is made of 853 steel, the regular disk is 520. Add to that a set of shifters and an 11-speed hub? Does seem a bit pricey.
  • mcj78
    Back a bit more OT - the Day One Alfine 11 is stunningly pricey when compared to the Day One Disc - is alfine 11 really worth £900 (ie more than it cost me to upgrade to Ultegra Di2 and more than double the price of the bike)?

The Day One Alfine 11 is made of 853 steel, the regular disk is 520. Add to that a set of shifters and an 11-speed hub? Does seem a bit pricey.

Yeah - the Alfine hubs themselves are around £150-ish (8) & £300 (11) and the shifters for either come in at roughly £200, so the Day One Alfine 11 must have a bit of cash invested in the frame material & a few other upgrades. Nice to see the Day One SS Disc has the BB7 brakes as well! Want want want!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I do like the look of the new CdF. The Sora is slightly putting me off. Will see if my LBS is getting one in...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Thinking about the Day One Disc: Wouldn't disc brakes be a pain with horizontal track-ends? I would imagine they would need adjusting every time you moved the rear wheel a bit.
  • the_fuggler
    No idea - but it's a question I will ask when I go and look at one next week...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mcj78
    No idea - but it's a question I will ask when I go and look at one next week...

Does your local dealer have it in already? I only ask as the email I got from Madison announcing they'd decided to release it said it'd be available "Spring 2012" whenever that is... :?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • the_fuggler
    Sorry - I'm talking about the CdF but was going to ask the question about the Day One when I'm there...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • mcj78
    Sorry - I'm talking about the CdF but was going to ask the question about the Day One when I'm there...

Ahh no worries - "Spring" could be anytime from now 'till June :lol:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • the_fuggler
    mcj78 wrote:

Ahh no worries - "Spring" could be anytime from now 'till June :lol:

I'm told Spring means April. But they've been wrong in the past....!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Didn't the Day One Alfine (and I suppose all of the other Day One disc forks) suffer from fork judder when braking?
    Yes, the funny thing (not) is that Madison and Genesis didn't care about the issue with fork shudder under braking or the rear brake issues.

Luckily I think this was down to the crappy brakes (Tektro Lyra) with Shimano rotors, this meant the brake pads overlapped the rotor arms and caused extra friction through the braking phase at specific points. I would say this isn't a problem with the Avid bb7 set up.
    Thinking about the Day One Disc: Wouldn't disc brakes be a pain with horizontal track-ends? I would imagine they would need adjusting every time you moved the rear wheel a bit.
    Yes it is a massive pain, i believe Genesis use a limit screw (forgot what they are called) to keep the wheel in place, this is an issue when you want to fix a flat as you have to change the limit screw to release tension in the chain to get it off. The biggest problem is getting the thing back together and getting the limit screw back to the right place so that the chain is taught and the disc isn't rubbing in the blocks.
  • gaz545 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Didn't the Day One Alfine (and I suppose all of the other Day One disc forks) suffer from fork judder when braking?
    Yes, the funny thing (not) is that Madison and Genesis didn't care about the issue with fork shudder under braking or the rear brake issues.

Luckily I think this was down to the crappy brakes (Tektro Lyra) with Shimano rotors, this meant the brake pads overlapped the rotor arms and caused extra friction through the braking phase at specific points. I would say this isn't a problem with the Avid bb7 set up.
    Thinking about the Day One Disc: Wouldn't disc brakes be a pain with horizontal track-ends? I would imagine they would need adjusting every time you moved the rear wheel a bit.
    Yes it is a massive pain, i believe Genesis use a limit screw (forgot what they are called) to keep the wheel in place, this is an issue when you want to fix a flat as you have to change the limit screw to release tension in the chain to get it off. The biggest problem is getting the thing back together and getting the limit screw back to the right place so that the chain is taught and the disc isn't rubbing in the blocks.

Ah, yes. Alignment adjusters I think they're called. I get around this being a problem by leaving the chain *just* loose enough to force off the chain-ring with some manual manipulation. This seems to work well enough. Actually, that would work with the disk brakes too, so I've answered my own question.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I'm probably not buying a bike any time soon but I would love a fixed commuter with a front disc. I was idly wondering if you could take the rear brake off the Day One Disc, flip the wheel, and fit a bolt on fixed cog like this:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html

Thoughts?
  • mcj78
    I'm probably not buying a bike any time soon but I would love a fixed commuter with a front disc. I was idly wondering if you could take the rear brake off the Day One Disc, flip the wheel, and fit a bolt on fixed cog like this:

Thoughts?

You might not even have to remove the rear disc brake (if you mean for clearance rather than aesthetics) - the only point might be whether or not the wheel is symmetrical, ie if the lateral poistion of the disc-cog mirrors the position of the original freewheel when flipped, otherwise you might have chainline issues... if that makes any sense!

For a fixie with a front disc, why not just buy a set of 700c disc forks & bung them on your existing frame? There's a few out there - dunno about 1" steerer though if that's what your frame is - have a search around ebay :)

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • majormantra
    mcj78 wrote:

Thoughts?

You might not even have to remove the rear disc brake (if you mean for clearance rather than aesthetics) - the only point might be whether or not the wheel is symmetrical, ie if the lateral poistion of the disc-cog mirrors the position of the original freewheel when flipped, otherwise you might have chainline issues... if that makes any sense!

For a fixie with a front disc, why not just buy a set of 700c disc forks & bung them on your existing frame? There's a few out there - dunno about 1" steerer though if that's what your frame is - have a search around ebay :)

J

I may be misunderstanding you, but if the wheel is flipped then you have to remove the rear brake as there's nothing to attach a disc to. From the velosolo site it looks like you have some flexibility with chainline as you can put spacers in. In any case a rear brake isn't necessary for a fixed gear so losing it wouldn't bother me.

The option would be to put a standard fixed cog on and live without a lockring but it wouldn't be ideal or IMO, as elegant as the bolt on cog.

Converting my existing bike is certainly a possibility but it's a slightly rusty Pompino and it doesn't really seem worth spending the cash. I figure it would be something like £250 since I'd need a brake, forks and a new front wheel.

This is all pretty hypothetical. :D
  • If you're not too bothered about doing fixie skids, then you can just thread a fixed cog onto a single speed hub. If you use some of the strong locktite too, it'll probably never come off even when you want it to. That way you get to keep both brakes.
  • mcj78
    mcj78 wrote:

Thoughts?

J

I may be misunderstanding you, but if the wheel is flipped then you have to remove the rear brake as there's nothing to attach a disc to. From the velosolo site it looks like you have some flexibility with chainline as you can put spacers in. In any case a rear brake isn't necessary for a fixed gear so losing it wouldn't bother me.

The option would be to put a standard fixed cog on and live without a lockring but it wouldn't be ideal or IMO, as elegant as the bolt on cog.

Converting my existing bike is certainly a possibility but it's a slightly rusty Pompino and it doesn't really seem worth spending the cash. I figure it would be something like £250 since I'd need a brake, forks and a new front wheel.

Yeah - re. the rear brake, it would obviously no longer be operational as you'd be using the wheel's disc mounts to attach the cog - I meant that if you left the caliper in situ it wouldn't take long to turn the wheel round & re-attach the rotor if you wanted the rear brake functional again.

Think you could probably do it for less £ than that - Planet x sell their Kaffenback fork for £50, add a cheap s/h 29er front wheel & a s/h cable disc (you'd get change out of £100 for both I reckon)... do it then post some pics :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • majormantra
    mcj78 wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

Thoughts?

J

Yeah - re. the rear brake, it would obviously no longer be operational as you'd be using the wheel's disc mounts to attach the cog - I meant that if you left the caliper in situ it wouldn't take long to turn the wheel round & re-attach the rotor if you wanted the rear brake functional again.

Think you could probably do it for less £ than that - Planet x sell their Kaffenback fork for £50, add a cheap s/h 29er front wheel & a s/h cable disc (you'd get change out of £100 for both I reckon)... do it then post some pics :wink:

I will if I do it. One slight issue is that I would prefer a road rim to an mtb one and the choice in pre-built 700c disc rims is not great at the moment.

Sorry for dragging this off topic. :oops:
  • mcj78
    I will if I do it. One slight issue is that I would prefer a road rim to an mtb one and the choice in pre-built 700c disc rims is not great at the moment.

Sorry for dragging this off topic. :oops:

Yeah - I thought about sticking a pair of 700c disc wheels on an old rigid mtb frame & forks as a commuting bodge a while back, but the only thing available off the shelf was Mavic Speedcity or something which were £300 a pair :o don't think they even make those anymore...

A good wheelbuilder could build you up a MTB disc hub onto a 700c road rim, you'd end up paying more though - don't know of any cheap 700c factory disc wheels using road(ish) rims...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex