Genesis Day One Disc??

mcj78
mcj78 Posts: 634
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Anyone know if Genesis are gonna put the above into production this year? It was rumoured last year & didn't materialize and i'm now seriously warming to the idea of a SS with discs after a crappy winter of grinding rims, chains & cassettes into oblivion :x Seen a few pics floating around on road.cc & the prototype looks pretty tasty: P1070628-640x480.jpg
Anyone know if it's likely to make an appearance anytime soon, or am I gonna spend the next few months bodging together some form of disc equipped mutant (in my mind at least)?
Cheers,
J
Moda Issimo
Genesis Volare 853
Charge Filter Apex

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just get a crosser with discs and fit a SS ring up front and an SS conversion out back.......sorted!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Planet X kaffenback now has disc mounts and track ends, I am seriously considering as my calipers are a mess.
    <a>road</a>
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Just get a crosser with discs and fit a SS ring up front and an SS conversion out back.......sorted!

Simon

Yup - you could even sell the geared bits to cover the costs
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Spotted someone selling a Cotic roadrat on Ebay with discs that could easily be turned into a SS.
  • mcj78
    Haha, I thought about that - would probably involve spending more time, effort & money than I have at the moment swapping parts over & selling stuff on (as if - it'd end up in the "spares" box!) Thought about building up a croix de fer frame, then there's the option of running it geared if I wanted to, but it'd end up taking ages & costing more as i'd probably want to put overly spangly finishing kit on it, to the point of almost rendering it unfit for abandoning outside work in the shitting rain :)

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • mcj78
    Planet X kaffenback now has disc mounts and track ends, I am seriously considering as my calipers are a mess.

Just had a look at that there - liking the retro bronze colour! Plus it's only £250 for the F&F, hmmmm! :D
    Spotted someone selling a Cotic roadrat on Ebay with discs that could easily be turned into a SS.

I've seen those before, quite like them & that one on ebay looks pretty good for the price - thankfully the wrong size else I may have damaged my overdraft further!

Nice to see a few more disc-equipped road/cross bikes popping up - more of this please!
    cheers,
    John
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Friend of mine just bought one of the Kaffenbacks, he's getting his heel striking on the chainstays quite a lot. Also, they still have all the braze-ons for the canti brakes too, looks quite unfinished, IMO.
  • mcj78
    Friend of mine just bought one of the Kaffenbacks, he's getting his heel striking on the chainstays quite a lot. Also, they still have all the braze-ons for the canti brakes too, looks quite unfinished, IMO.

Ahh, cheers for that - I suppose with keeping the canti mounts etc. they'll say it's more adaptable, whereas the cynic (probably me included) will say they just brazed a load of disc mounts onto the existing frames/forks :|

I shall keep my eyes peeled for the perfect solution 8)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Are we gonna start seeing more road bikes with disc brakes? It seems to make sense on so many levels.

This looks incredible

1326489104684-pwg02b0b9mvb-670-75.jpg
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Absolutely! I especially like the unbroken white graphic. Apparently selling v. well, thanks to the publicity of the legal action Specialized brought against the founders.
  • meanredspider
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Are we gonna start seeing more road bikes with disc brakes? It seems to make sense on so many levels.

This looks incredible

Holy fork - I'm starting saving today - that's fantastic...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    mcj78 wrote:
    Friend of mine just bought one of the Kaffenbacks, he's getting his heel striking on the chainstays quite a lot. Also, they still have all the braze-ons for the canti brakes too, looks quite unfinished, IMO.

Ahh, cheers for that - I suppose with keeping the canti mounts etc. they'll say it's more adaptable, whereas the cynic (probably me included) will say they just brazed a load of disc mounts onto the existing frames/forks :|

I shall keep my eyes peeled for the perfect solution 8)

The kaff frames for disc compatibility are redesigned, they have wider seat stays, the dropouts can be swapped for horizontals and the forks are asymmetric to accommodate the rotor.

The braking performance of the brakes on this bike is a huge upgrade in terms of braking performance. Less spongy, greater modulation. This is my experience 10 mins on this and then jumping on a bike with Ultegra 6700 calipers.

The canti bosses on the fork do stick out, however, if you are absolutely sure you don't want cantis then what about the on-one pompetamine?
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/on_one_pompetamine_cro_mo_urban_frame. This link is to the frame but the link in that page to the fork explicitly says no canti bosses.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Been running my RoadRat for about a year now - came as SS as stock with disc brakes.

Lovely ride, and it's like a weapon. Point and go, and eat pot holes for breakfast :)

It really does soak up the bumps well compared to my Ali frame road bike. Only downside is the discs, I've upgrade the front to a BB7, but I still don't get a great deal of stopping power. What I do get though is consistency, i.e. they work in the wet.
  • meanredspider
    nich wrote:
    Only downside is the discs, I've upgrade the front to a BB7, but I still don't get a great deal of stopping power. What I do get though is consistency, i.e. they work in the wet.

Are you sure you have them set right? Pads? Short of fitting hydraulic discs, I can't imagine getting better stopping power on my Boardman with the front upgraded to BB7 - gives me huge confidence.
  • mcj78
    That Volagi is gorgeous, remember seeing the press release somewhere a few months back & instantly loving it - judging by the sales the legal action by Specialized has boosted their profile somewhat too!

Had a look at the cotic website - the "short" Roadrat for drop bars has been discontinued & the TT length on the "long" is nearly 58cm so would rule out drops - they've also discontinued the "X" CC bike in the 52cm size so that's Cotic ruled out.

Do quite like the Pompetamine, that's always an option & the ready built Alfine model is only £800 which seems a good price :idea:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    PeteMadoc wrote:

This looks incredible

Just spotted this - gorgeous. Disc brakes + electronic shifting + something that looks like this could well have me shelling out on a roadie :cool:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meanredspider
    I know - I'm seriously looking into getting one from Vancouver. The Di2 might have to wait a while but I've really fallen for this bike - it's right up my street.

You have made me think I should go for the SRAM equipped bike to save some money to buy Di2?....
  • Stevo_666
    I know - I'm seriously looking into getting one from Vancouver. The Di2 might have to wait a while but I've really fallen for this bike - it's right up my street.

You have made me think I should go for the SRAM equipped bike to save some money to buy Di2?....
    Good plan, it is a beauty. You could go frame-only and spec it yourself, but it would probably be more cost effective to go with the SRAM Rival version then upgrade in the near future (prices are likely to drop for electronic shifting IMO)

TBH Rival is not a bad option and seriously bomb-proof in my experience, got it on my Boardman and it has never gone wrong/rarely needs fiddling with.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The whisperings do seem to suggest we are going to see road bikes running discs almost as standard in the not too distant future. There's even talk of developing a suitable hydraulic version. Very exciting.
  • meanredspider
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Good plan, it is a beauty. You could go frame-only and spec it yourself, but it would probably be more cost effective to go with the SRAM Rival version then upgrade in the near future (prices are likely to drop for electronic shifting IMO)

TBH Rival is not a bad option and seriously bomb-proof in my experience, got it on my Boardman and it has never gone wrong/rarely needs fiddling with.

How does Rival compare with Apex? I really didn't much like Apex on my Boardman CX so swapped to 105 which is so much better - much more subtle and easy to use. Di2 isn't as expensive as I thought - especially as I assume the mechs work with standard drive chain components. The Rival version of the bike gets heavier wheels than the Ultegra version.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Nice looking bike, but how the hell is it standing up? Did the photograper have an assistant holding the bike up then let go whilst the picture was taken before it fell down?

Didn't the Day One Alfine (and I suppose all of the other Day One disc forks) suffer from fork judder when braking?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Nice looking bike, but how the hell is it standing up? Did the photograper have an assistant holding the bike up then let go whilst the picture was taken before it fell down?

Didn't the Day One Alfine (and I suppose all of the other Day One disc forks) suffer from fork judder when braking?

Someone was holding it up by the front wheel, but was shopped out. I can tell from the pixels, and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Someone was holding it up by the front wheel, but was shopped out. I can tell from the pixels, and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Speaking of Photoshop, have you seen this? Funny and very accurate.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

How does Rival compare with Apex? I really didn't much like Apex on my Boardman CX so swapped to 105 which is so much better - much more subtle and easy to use. Di2 isn't as expensive as I thought - especially as I assume the mechs work with standard drive chain components. The Rival version of the bike gets heavier wheels than the Ultegra version.
    'fraid I don't know as I've never used Apex. The SRAM vs Shimano thing is a matter of taste to some extent; SRAM can feel a bit clunkier than Shimano generally but as this is my commuter hack I'm not too bothered really - it's more reliability and ease of use for me. Also I quite like the SRAM ' double tap' system as I prefer only having one shift lever on either side.
  • Stevo_666
    The whisperings do seem to suggest we are going to see road bikes running discs almost as standard in the not too distant future. There's even talk of developing a suitable hydraulic version. Very exciting.
    Have a look on the Canyon website:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html
    They have a hydraulic prototype. Nnice to see a bit of innovation.
  • mcj78
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The whisperings do seem to suggest we are going to see road bikes running discs almost as standard in the not too distant future. There's even talk of developing a suitable hydraulic version. Very exciting.
    Have a look on the Canyon website:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html
    They have a hydraulic prototype. Nnice to see a bit of innovation.

I'm sure that Canyon prototype has been around for a while - when you think about it, I don't know why no-one decided to do this much earlier, discs have been around on MTBs for nearly 20 years & the benefits are largely interchangeable between disciplines. :?

J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • EKE_38BPM
    The UCI wouldn't allow them on road race bikes so manufacturers didn't make them for road bikes as the pro tour is their shop window. The UCI have changed their stance so the disc road bikes are becoming more popular.

I may be wrong in all of this, but I think I'm right.

I wonder if riders on the pro tour would use disc brakes?

• EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wonder if riders on the pro tour would use disc brakes?

My guess would be, yes they would. The safety and reliability element would surely outweigh any extra weight issue. I bet we'll see it soon.
  • EKE_38BPM
    The UCI call disc brakes a "technical innovation" and won't allow them on the 2012 pro tour but British Cycling may allow them in sportives.

Clear as mud.

• mcj78
    Looks like Genesis have introduced a new "budget" croix de fer called the CDF - same as the original but with a 520 frame instead of the 725(?) & 9-speed sora instead of 10 speed tiagra, £200 quid less than the original rrp:

cdf_highres.jpg

Now all they need to do is take the frame, remove the gears & another couple of hundred from the rrp & we're rocking :D
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex