Sherlock

2»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Nowhere in any of Conan Doyle's original works does Watson ever actually say, "No sh!t, Sherlock".

Not many people know that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    cjcp wrote:
    It's a matter of principle. But my computer's like HAL, you know. Mind of its own. Darndest thing.

Sorry, it's a Guardian specific piece, i.e. not just a link to another site. I woul copy and paste some of the theories but they are quite lengthy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    There was only three this time around as both Benedict and Martin Freeman have filming commitments - the first series was a massive surprise hit (such was the doubt the BBC only commisioned one series of 3 originally) so when they got the second and third one (they commissioned both at the same time) they realised that they had a tiny window before Martin Freeman went off to New Zealand for 12 months to be Bilbo Baggins and didn't want to leave it till mid 2013 before we saw Sherlock again.

The whole series was superb (preferred the Hound of the Baskervilles episode out of the three), most TV is utter drivel but that has been the only thing since Game of Thrones that was "appointment TV" as media bods would say.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    A lot of the theories in the Indy, Guardian and The Telegraph rely on the falling body being a convenient spare corpse from the lab, or the hanging mannequin from the flat. Do people not watch what's happening? The falling Holmes was clearly clawing at he air in a v animated fashion, so clearly not dead at that point.

I liked the comment that claimed that he does die but for the third series it'll be renamed Watson & Sherlock (Deceased). One for the older members there. :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:
    A lot of the theories in the Indy, Guardian and The Telegraph rely on the falling body being a convenient spare corpse from the lab, or the hanging mannequin from the flat. Do people not watch what's happening? The falling Holmes was clearly clawing at he air in a v animated fashion, so clearly not dead at that point.

I liked the comment that claimed that he does die but for the third series it'll be renamed Watson & Sherlock (Deceased). One for the older members there. :wink:

He falls into the lorry. Uses dummy on floor whilst escaping. Hopes that his hobo mate who knocks into Watson distracts Watson enough to fall for use of a dummy.

S'all bull anyway. He dies in the book.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CiB wrote:

He falls into the lorry. Uses dummy on floor whilst escaping. Hopes that his hobo mate who knocks into Watson distracts Watson enough to fall for use of a dummy.

Allegedly.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    CiB wrote:

Allegedly.

He did die in the book, but then came back from the dead when Sir Arthur needed more money, apparently saying that he had to fake his own death because there were other nasty buggers who wanted him dead.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thanks for this. Had completely missed it. Just found a *cough* website and plugged my way through series 1. Really like the misanthropic sociopath that is Holmes.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I think the most likely explanation is that Mycroft and Molly were in on it somehow - Mycroft seemed uncaring even for Mycroft when talking to Watson, suggesting he is already aware.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    davis wrote:
    Thanks for this. Had completely missed it. Just found a *cough* website and plugged my way through series 1. Really like the misanthropic sociopath that is Holmes.

Yeah, I only saw the last two on the telly! Just finished catching up (makes much more sense that way!). I am cr*p at following stuff on Telly. Is there anything else that's been really good that I should have a look at?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One word (well two) - Brett, Jeremy.
  • I think that Sherlock and Moriarty are one and the same, in a Gollum/Fight Club esque manner.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Tell you what I did notice (at least, IIRC); when there was the aerial shot of the stretcher being wheeled away, there was no blood on the pavement. Odd, as there'd been a big pool of it before. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I noticed this during last nights repeat.
    @ approx 1:12:18 when John hails a cab after discovering Mrs Hudson is fine, the cab passes an IOU graffiti

tumblr_ly4m7clIVt1qe37y8o1_500.jpg

It also appears earlier on, when our heroes escape after being arrested

tumblr_lxwt2jYneV1qh1rxso1_500.png
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    I watched it again today trying to look for "the clue everybody has mised" and I still can't work anything out! It's must be something to do with Molly, or "the missing clue" is something in another episode.

I think I tend to suspend my disbelief to easily if the show is good though so I rarely get these. I only get the shows when the acting is cr*p!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver