Sherlock

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm hooked! Watching?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    All I saw was a guy jump from a building, his body bleeding all over the pavement, and the next minute he's standing up, walking around as if nothing happened.

WTF?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    He's Sherlock Holmes, he ain't gonna die, he's can outsmart both gravity and death.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Haven't watched the TV series, but did go to the cinema to watch the second of the RD Jr films. Mainly to see Richmond Park on the big screen, which didn't disappoint (unlike the rest of the flick).
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fantastic stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    All I saw was a guy jump from a building, his body bleeding all over the pavement, and the next minute he's standing up, walking around as if nothing happened.

WTF?

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty, always with the negative waves.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:

WTF?

GF said I looked like him last night!

I took that :P
  • EKE_38BPM
    cjcp wrote:

WTF?

Woof woof!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372

WTF?

Oh do keep up. SH was brought back to life in the original Conan Doyle novels after apparently plunging over Reichenbach Falls with Moriarty. I'm not sure how they are going to write their way out of this version, but I'm sure there'll be a clever if slightly implausible explanation.

Moriarty as slightly bitchy and camp, and the Watson Holmes relationship between Freeman and Cumberbatch are the things that really make this series work so well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Great show, but they only ever seem to make them three at a time.

You probably missed the bit where he visited the girl who fancies him and works in the pathology lab before his death. Reckon she could have snuck out with a mattress and some fake blood before signing him off as dead.
  • Yes, surviving his own fall to death and funeral is going to be quite hard to explain. Sherlock's last conversation with his lab assistant was odd and completely unexplained - if it wasn't part of the plot why was it there - he was clearly about to ask her for something but what that something was is yet to be revealed.
  • cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:

WTF?

Oh do keep up. SH was brought back to life in the original Conan Doyle novels after apparently plunging over Reichenbach Falls with Moriarty. I'm not sure how they are going to write their way out of this version, but I'm sure there'll be a clever if slightly implausible explanation.

Wasn't there some speculation, though, that some of the later stories SACD penned after the Final Problem may have been about earlier times, although Watson drops clues to the contrary?

@deptfordmarmoset -I think he asked her for a body for the burial.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    Great show, but they only ever seem to make them three at a time.

You probably missed the bit where he visited the girl who fancies him and works in the pathology lab before his death. Reckon she could have snuck out with a mattress and some fake blood before signing him off as dead.

True, she has to be significant as that was left as a loose end. That said, she might be a ruse on the part of the writers - they used a fair bit of misdirection throughout.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

WTF?

You look like Gavin Macleod from Kelly's Heroes? :P
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

WTF?

You look like Gavin Macleod from Kelly's Heroes? :P

It's known as a strong look :D
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I did like how this series seemed to build to a crescendo - last night's episode. Each episode had a distinct story but with an over arching Moriarty story in the background. Take Moriarty out of the equation and it just ends up having the same formula every week (mystery crime, Sherlock rude to Watson, Lestrange a bit doddery, Mrs Hudson complaining, big revelation about who dunnit at the end etc etc) like a big budget Murder She Wrote.

TV often does this and makes the mistake of doing too many episodes and devaluing a good thing. I totally agree with Ricky Gervais when he ended the Office despite people wanting more episodes.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • EKE_38BPM
    mrc1 wrote:
    TV often does this and makes the mistake of doing too many episodes and devaluing a good thing. I totally agree with Ricky Gervais when he ended the Office despite people wanting more episodes.

Maybe thats why they only do three episodes at a time?

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Hopefully - I don't know Sherlock Holmes that well (I've read the new book House of Silk and a couple of the original series) so not sure how good the post Moriarty death stories are, but my worry is that the BBC bods claim to have been given totally free reign over the plot/direction. Short of inventing a new super villain or Moriarty coming back from the grave I'm not sure what else they can do?

It's also interesting having two totally different takes on one character runnign at the same time - BBC vs Hollywood.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    With the BBC I always assumed it was due to lack of budget that they only did 3 episodes at a time.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    rjsterry wrote:

Do you have another link? My computer says "No" when I try to click on any link to the Guardian. No idea why... :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Do you have another link? My computer says "No" when I try to click on any link to the Guardian. No idea why... :wink:

Link works for me Chris?

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

According to someone at work (Beeb), the three episodes is partly because Steven Moffat is also writing Dr Who - he doesn't have a huge team of writers, and there are only so many hours in a day. Was fab though - last night was the first one I'd seen so I'll have to watch from the beginning...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Loved'em and looking forward to the next series then I think they should stop there.
  • SimonAH
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Loved'em and looking forward to the next series then I think they should stop there.

Did I just catch you over on LFGSS cruising for boys Wanda? :D:D:D

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    SimonAH wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

Did I just catch you over on LFGSS cruising for boys Wanda? :D:D:D

I was in the thread cos I'm nosy, but I leave my occasional cruising for the 'real world'. Besides I've met some of them and they are way too close in age to my nephews, the oldest of which is 39. They are a fun group :lol:
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Great show, but they only ever seem to make them three at a time.

True, she has to be significant as that was left as a loose end. That said, she might be a ruse on the part of the writers - they used a fair bit of misdirection throughout.

There's also the little girl screaming when she saw Sherlock thing, there must be someone who looks enough like him, or can be made to look like him. Plus, John Watson was hit by a bloody cyclist on his way to seeing the dead Sherlock, that can't be co-incidence. Cyclists are a bloody menace.
  • cjcp
    SimonAH wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Link works for me Chris?

:lol: No, it's the Guardian, see?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Link works for me Chris?

:lol: No, it's the Guardian, see?

By not clicking on that link you are depriving a member of this forum the new carbon frame he desperately needs. Shame on you.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    It's a matter of principle. But my computer's like HAL, you know. Mind of its own. Darndest thing.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."