Gove boat?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
It's trending on twitter, the Guardian have their teeth out.

Education secretary Gove seriously suggested giving the Queen a £60m boat for the diamond jubilee.

He seems concerned the olympics will overshadow the Diamond Jubilee.

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited January 2012

Education secretary Gove seriously suggested giving the Queen a £60m boat for the diamond jubilee.

Saw that. Couldn't bring myself to read it. The overshadowing thing - really? Does he think the Queen has that much of an ego?

EDIT: Story now updated to show that Gove has been told to shut up, by Nick Clegg. That must sting a bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    From the (internal) letter from Gove...
    "I feel strongly that the diamond jubilee gives us a tremendous opportunity to recognise in a very fitting way the Queen's highly significant contribution to the life of the nation and the Commonwealth."
    "I feel strongly more should be done to achieve a longer lasting legacy. Events such as proms and the party at the palace organised for the diamond jubilee, and street parties, although excellent, are transient. It would be appropriate to do something that will mark the significance of this occasion with fitting ceremony.

"My suggestion would be a gift from the nation to her majesty; thinking about David Willetts's excellent suggestion of a royal yacht, and something tangible to commemorate this momentous occasion." He adds: "The year ahead provides an enormous opportunity to showcase the very best of Britain."
    "The diamond jubilee must not be overshadowed by the Olympic Games, but form an integral part of this great year for our country."
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Saw that. Couldn't bring myself to read it. The overshadowing thing - really? Does he think the Queen has that much of an ego?

I know he's a turbo royalist. Moved to tears etc according to a friend who has interned/worked in parliament avec le Tories.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I don't think it's even safe to have a Royal Yacht anymore. Too big a target to shoot at for those of a mind to do so.

Something permanent would be nice though. I likes the Queen I does.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You know times are really bad when you find Lib Dems more objectionable than Tories when it comes to wasting money on pomp-&-ceremony.

Yes the Queen should get something, maybe even a new boat. With modern technology surely it should be something that lasts (though we rarely build things that truely last, like say the Great Wall of China or the Pyramids..). Any great political gesture, Queen gets something that lasts that is open for public use. The nation needs something nice.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You know times are really bad when you find Lib Dems more objectionable than Tories when it comes to wasting money on pomp-&-ceremony.

Yes the Queen should get something, maybe even a new boat. With modern technology surely it should be something that lasts (though we rarely build things that truely last, like say the Great Wall of China or the Pyramids..). Any great political gesture, Queen gets something that lasts that is open for public use. The nation needs something nice.

Gove is a Tory....

Like the Tories would let the Lib Dems go anywhere near education.
  • DonDaddyD
    Ah man, I feel so wrong right now...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Stonehenge, Calainish, Maise How, various castles up and down the land.

Anyway, maybe not a good time for boating... though might be a few wanting to see the Royals in a boat.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rick_chasey
    Like this bit:

from that article:
    Gove ends his letter by suggesting that if insufficient taxpayer funds are available a private donation could be sought, before making a naked departmental bid for every schoolchild or school to be given a gift as a permanent reminder of the event. Gove's office confirmed the authenticity of the letter but refused to comment.

I think the £60m figure is boarder line made up though.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We've 'got no money' but we can buy a boat for one of the (if not the) richest women in the world?

FFS.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The boat is only one person's suggestion. The Queen hasn't asked for it, as far as I am aware. Surely highly unlikely that it will happen?

What we are more likely to get (and what I hope will happen) are new Jubilee parks, playgrounds and leisure facilities. Would tie in nicely with the olympics, provide things that everyone can make use of and leave a suitable legacy.
  • rick_chasey
    Gussio wrote:
    The boat is only one person's suggestion. The Queen hasn't asked for it, as far as I am aware. Surely highly unlikely that it will happen?

Yeah, but it IS the education secretary. And he already upset a few teachers last week.

I never liked him (no waaay), and I guess that's reinforced by this particular (serious it seems) suggestion.

I find it concerning generally that a politician would feel 'strongly' about the monarchy, and feel 'strongly' that they need to spend lavishly on them.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    As said above, it might 'only be one person' but it's not a bloke in the pub is it?!

The jubille parks etc would be a much better idea, in my humble opinion :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Anyway, maybe not a good time for boating... though might be a few wanting to see the Royals in a boat.....
    I mean in modern times.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    Problem with these stories are that you come across as 'outraged'.

TBH, I don't really care. I find Gove boarderline repulsive when I see him on the TV and it's fun to poke a stick at him as such.

And I think he's f*cking schools, but that's a different issue. Ish.
  • Wallace1492
    Another reason for Independence for up here! Oh and can we still keep her last boat?

Radical thought: how about the Queen makes a massive gift to the nation for allowing her and her family to live in the lap of luxury for generations and not beheading them centuries ago?
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    She's got the Thames bridge at Thurrock - named the QE2 Bridge when build (in '92?)

Sorted.
  • Wallace1492
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I mean in modern times.

"You mean in Modern Times", but quote two of the oldest structures on earth! Plenty of cathedrals have lasted well, and the victorians made a dam fine effort at building. e.g. the water supply for Glasgow was built in late 1800's and to this day still uses the same infrastructure. Quite a few bridges are still about.... We build well!!
  • DonDaddyD
    Sigh...
    Food Chain number = 4

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I imagine Costa Concordia might be flogging a few ships soon so maybe Gove can pick one of those up under budget?
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The Millenium Bridge?
  • Wallace1492
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sigh...

Not sure I understand.... we have as a nation built some superb stuff over the years, but yes some has been crap, especially from the 1960's, but think that is true throughout the world.

I think attitudes have changed and important things are now built to last - Channel Tunnel, Severn Crossing, Wembly.
  • rick_chasey
    Maybe he just wants to sink her with his pink torpedo
  • DonDaddyD
    edited January 2012
    Wallace, it was mostly off the cuff comment and not deeply thought about.

However, I concede that what I wrote was done poorly and what I was trying to say was muddled. I'm not having the best of days.

That said considering I was born in the 1980s my modern times would be from then or my parents life time at a push. Things I can remember being built or opened. So that said, something like a Victorian House would be, for me, considered "back then" and by my assertion built to last, compared to the new homes being built now. I note the difference and increase in price an old poorly heated victorian house can cost compared to a new build that is on the face of it more practical and suited to todays families.

To me when we build monuments now they don't appear or designed to last as long as the monuments of the past. How long is the London Eye or Millenium Dome estimated to last compared to structures builtduring the previous 1000 years that are still around now? The Colosseum? How long will Wembley last?

Just saying. But to the OP: give the Queen something to marvel for her jubilee, make it something the public can use, design and build it to last 1000yrs at least.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sigh...

Not sure I understand.... we have as a nation built some superb stuff over the years, but yes some has been crap, especially from the 1960's, but think that is true throughout the world.

I think attitudes have changed and important things are now built to last - Channel Tunnel, Severn Crossing, Wembly.

I'm pretty sure we built crap stuff throughout our history, it's just that only the really good stuff has lasted, or been considered worthy of preservation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wallace1492
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sigh...

I'm pretty sure we built crap stuff throughout our history, it's just that only the really good stuff has lasted, or been considered worthy of preservation.

Probably, also warfare has let to plenty of destruction over the years. I am sure we used to have a lot more lovely castles up here ;). We can do a good job of destroying as well as building.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Maybe Gove (and anyone who voted Conservative) can pay for the boat with regular Direct Debits.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Timeshare people! Timeshare! Just think of the fun, I can't wait for my go in 3028 I'm planning to sail away from the those god damn dirty apes and/or Skynet - whichever comes first at that time.