mats to reduce noise from indoor trainer?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
I'm getting polite complaints from my new under-floor neighbours about the noise from my Tacx Fortius. I'm already using the standard Tacx mat, although not on a carpet.

Anything that really works for reducing noise/vibrations? I think it's more transmitted vibrations than noise per se, I know I can hear the guy above me when he drags a chair across the floor but I can't hear his telly or anything else like that.

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Might just need more padding below it? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 419322.htm

May do the trick
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Thick foam camping mat? Nice thick rug? Anything thick that absorbs sound well will do. Must be very thick though as your body weight on top of a few small trainer feet creates a lot of pressure which will compress whatever's underneath it. Maybe try putting a flat but hard thing (sheet of plywood or something?) on top of the foam to spread the weight out evenly
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Just turn the music up!

I use these - they work pretty well at dampening vibration:

http://interlockinggymmats.com/
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Herbsman wrote:
    Thick foam camping mat? Nice thick rug? Anything thick that absorbs sound well will do. Must be very thick though as your body weight on top of a few small trainer feet creates a lot of pressure which will compress whatever's underneath it. Maybe try putting a flat but hard thing (sheet of plywood or something?) on top of the foam to spread the weight out evenly

+1 - In my old flat I used an old shelf (any scrap of thickish wood does the trick) over a thick rug. The plywood makes all the difference as it spreads the weight out.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is there not a basement or outside part you could turbo on. I'd have thought a turbo would be just too noisy to work in a block of flats. Unless the padding was so thick that you'd be wallowing around on it !
  • neeb
    Thanks for the tips, I'll experiment. I do at least have a big shaggy rug lying around.

The new neighbors have a baby that they put to sleep at around 8pm, and apparently I woke him/her up last night at around 9... The woman said that it sounded like some industrial machinery, which (standing sweatily at the door in my bibs) I took as a compliment about the humongous wattage I obviously must have been putting out, although it may have not been intended that way. :wink::D

I've promised I'll try to finish by 8pm in future in any case...
  • neeb
    cougie wrote:
    Is there not a basement or outside part you could turbo on. I'd have thought a turbo would be just too noisy to work in a block of flats. Unless the padding was so thick that you'd be wallowing around on it !
    Unfortunately nowhere like that suitable. I've had no complaints before, but then a previous below-floor neighbor used to play the accordion, so I think he kind of accepted it as a fair cop..