Descending Question

amcgill69
amcgill69 Posts: 21
I broke my collarbone last winter on a descent when my bike hit a patch of oil. Ever since then I've been very nervous on descents and I can't remember how I used to ride them. What's your tips for rebuilding confidence? I'm trying to go faster each time I'm out, but am still a bit twitchy on the brakes (I realise that this will be counter-productive!). Just want to get confidence back for racing and riding descents in the bunch & not off the back!

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Perhaps try practicng to get your comfidence/speed back on hills you know, ride up them first so that you can check out the road surface, dry conditions only to start with.
    I am quicker than most on descents even though I weigh less than others, however if I do come off one day, its likely I will have the same issues as yourself, lets hope that doesn't happen.

If you are going to brake on a descent make sure it's in a straight line only before you lean into the corners, once you have comitted to the turn you have to follow it through and never ever back off in the turn.

Good luck

Dave
  • thanks Dave. When do you start braking on the descent? Just before the corner & brake "hard", or are you feathering the brakes all the way down? I seem to descend a lot slower than my mates, but I'm on the brakes most of the way down. Find descending quite stressful now, but I'm determined to conquer it!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Press as hard as you can on the outside pedal when cornering.

Don't know precicely why, might be psycosomatic, but it really works for me.

Makes the bike feel like its on rails > helps build confidence.
  • Braking on descents for me is a no no if I am confident enough to get away with it, on straight line decents I am normally tucked in, if I am approaching a bend the time to brake is well before you enter then bend whilst still upright, if you feel you are going too fast then scrub off a good amount of speed whilst still upright then lean into the bend, if you have taken too much speed off dont worry, better to be safe than sorry, this will improve with confidence, I prefer not to use the front brake when cornering, feathering the rear brake only, ideally you should enter the corner at a speed you are confident of carrying through the bend, braking mid corner will likely throw you off your line and cause you to either go into the opposite lane which is a no no, or lose your front wheel.

You must have 100% confidence in your bike set up which should include a set of top racing tyres, although expensive you will notice a hugh difference over stock average tyres most bikes come with, rec michelin pro3 or 4 and continental gp4000, remember that cornering at speed on 23mm tyres leaves little area when cornering so having confidence in your tyres is paramount to carrying speed through the corners.

Please be wary of trying to hard to get your confidence back before you are ready, it will take time and the roads are not at thier best in January with the ice and cold temps which will also effect your tyres, also gravel can be spread onto the road by running water and cars taking a wrong line and going wide into the verge, there are always potential hazards to be aware of.

Descending at speed can be exhilirating but the key is to get to the bottom safely, to do it all over again.

Good luck
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Press as hard as you can on the outside pedal when cornering.

By doing that you're really just putting weight on that side of the bike, which helps increase friction in the opposite direction to the blah blah blah etc basically helps stop you sliding out
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    I too got wiped out by oil last year going down a 15% hill. A stupid Co-op lorry had split a load of gearbox oil all over the road where it usually parks. It was wet that day so couldn't see the oil. Anyways, getting your confidence back is all about patience and doing lots of riding.

All good advice above! The main thing is to do lots of riding and take it easy. Try to get your confidence back on less steep hills, and get used to riding in the drops. It may not feel like it, but you have more control and stability over the bike when pressing on the drops rather than using the hoods.
    Also, getting good tyres that you can trust will help greatly.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Echo the advice above but the main thing is to remain smooth. Avoid jerky movements, sudden grabbing of the brakes etc as that all upsets the bike and your balance. The other key thing is to anticipate the corner, make sure you get all your braking done in a straight line and in an upright position (this isn't always possible but is a good principle to follow), enter the corner at a speed you are comfortable with and (particularly if the corner is badly sighted or a hairpin) with sufficient margin for error that you will be able to avoid any unsighted obstructions (we all know that roads are covered in gravel, pot holes, mud etc etc so it's best to plan for this).

If something unexpected does happen and you need to slow down then do not touch the front brake while cornering as locking your front wheel will put you on the deck. Try to smoothly alter your line and gently feather the rear brake. I also find that looking where you want to go (rather than at the obstruction) helps as your bike tends to follow where you are looking!

Out in the Alps and the Pyrenees when we get someone that isn't a confident descender I find that setting them up on a certain well sighted and well surfaced corner or series of corners and getting them to have several runs really helps to build confidence so thats definitely worth a try.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Thanks for all the advice guys! Hopefully this bloomin' frost & ice will clear and I can get out & practice again this weekend. After the crash I changed my tyres and now have Conti GP 4000s on all my bikes, just need to start trusting them a bit more. I am determined to beat this!!!!
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    amcgill69 wrote:
    thanks Dave. When do you start braking on the descent? Just before the corner & brake "hard", or are you feathering the brakes all the way down? I seem to descend a lot slower than my mates, but I'm on the brakes most of the way down. Find descending quite stressful now, but I'm determined to conquer it!!

I do this. I panick also, it kind of feels like my stomach is sinking and becoming heavy. I find sticking my inside knee out helps me keep balance and short even breaths and clenching my stumoch helps with the panick. I'm still sh!t though, a little more comfy about it. I haven't fallen off or anything, I'm just feirt.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Press as hard as you can on the outside pedal when cornering.

Also, move your upper body to the outside of the turn for more of the same. Don't forget that any braking forces will automatically shift your weight forward, so be ready for that: On long/steep descents be ready to lock your elbows if neccessary to keep your weight back, or even hang back off the saddle a bit.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/descend.htm
    Read and digest this. Start out doing it right and just go faster as your confidence increases.
  • +1 for FlammeRouge. Top advice.