What to do apart from cycling? getting fit after operation

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
So i'm getting back on the bike after a break since the end of Septemeber due to illness.. then an abdominal operation in Novemeber..

So i've got it figured out when I'm on the bike -> just put some base miles in, aim for HR zone 2 ... easy? well not really, suffering quite a bit because I've lost my fitness haha but i will persevere!

What should i be doing off the bike? i'm trying to get out and do 10-15miles 3x a week to easy back into it -> but its freezing and my lungs don't like it

so i need something structured to do on the off days, and the on-days when its too cold for my cheap winter gear and lungs.. and i want to do whatever is going to have the biggest/best impact on my bike fitness so i can get up to speed quickly and start riding with a club.

Running?
Core strength?
I play a bit of Squash too? does that count as cardio intervals?

i have access to a decent enough gym so suggestions of activities and structure would be welcome!

(also side note... my body has never really liked the high intensity stuff, and i've always had the need to use sugary sports drinks to boost me and stop myself from crashing and feeling sick/dizzy at the end of a higher intensity ride... but if i train without sugary aids, will my body learn to cope better and burn carbs/fat instead? or am i always going to feel disgusting after a hard ride?)

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    So i've got it figured out when I'm on the bike -> just put some base miles in, aim for HR zone 2 ... easy? well not really, suffering quite a bit because I've lost my fitness haha but i will persevere!
    It gets easier :)
    What should i be doing off the bike? i'm trying to get out and do 10-15miles 3x a week to easy back into it -> but its freezing and my lungs don't like it
    so i need something structured to do on the off days, and the on-days when its too cold for my cheap winter gear and lungs.. and i want to do whatever is going to have the biggest/best impact on my bike fitness so i can get up to speed quickly and start riding with a club.
    Cycling will evidently improve your cycling but where this isn't possible you could take to a turbo session or use an upright bike in the gym, spin classes would work too if there are any local.
    Running?
    Core strength?
    I play a bit of Squash too? does that count as cardio intervals?
    Both effective overall for cardio and legs,are you able to work your core ok post op? Bosu and swiss balls whilst not being particularly manly are effective in targetting the areas you desire them too.

Rowing machines: ^
    i have access to a decent enough gym so suggestions of activities and structure would be welcome!
    Probably best to speak to a trainer there and get a plan done based on equipment available there. I squeezed 3 Fullbody weights days, 2km+worth of swims and 75K on the road in this week somehow,but that's just me. Doesn't mean the same mould will fit everyone.
    (also side note... my body has never really liked the high intensity stuff, and i've always had the need to use sugary sports drinks to boost me and stop myself from crashing and feeling sick/dizzy at the end of a higher intensity ride... but if i train without sugary aids, will my body learn to cope better and burn carbs/fat instead? or am i always going to feel disgusting after a hard ride?)
    I'm far from an expert but it sounds like you aren't consuming enough low GI carbs (porridge is a great example) and your blood sugars are getting lower than ideal.