Ice Stops Play

DrKJM
DrKJM Posts: 271
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I got up early to go for a ride with friends but it is covered in frost outside and the last time we decided to go anyway one of us hit the deck slipping on a frozen puddle and we ended up creeping along fearfully for a mile or two before heading home. I'm all dressed up and nowhere to go :-(. What do people here do instead?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Turbo
  • Just not worth the risk this morning plus when its minus 4 or 5 the cold tends to get onto my chest. So far this winter I've avoided the dreaded chest infection and lurgy. So maybe a run or turbo later.
  • Frosty and icy as owt up here - I'm off for a ride later on my spike bike, good ol' Marathon Winters! They may be buzzy and heavy but a training ride's a training ride, it doesn't matter if you're a wee bit slower than normal and it beats a turbo session any day. . .[gloat :D ]

Cold air is good for you, it's germs that give you a bad chest, don't listen to the old wives' tales.

PS, I agree you're mad to venture out on non-spikes, I'm still recovering from an icy off from a few months ago, hence I feel more qualified than most to gloat about my superb recent tyre purchase decision. :wink:
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    The joys of the Sussex coast.
    It's cold and frosty, but there's no standing water to ice over.
    Plus it's only dropping a couple of degrees below freezing.

Wait for ar$e over t1t report, this time tomorrow.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Unfortunately, my head has ruled my heart and I have also kyboshed a lovely 70 miler that I spent some time planning and even got up early so I would have time to do it later today. Just been for a drive (dad's taxi service) and small puddles at the side of salted roads are iced over and a forecast of a whopping 2 degrees at lunchtime...so no chance I am going to risk it :(

So, a 1 hour Sufferfest instead but much later on today as I just cannot whip up the enthusiasm to do it any time soon. Nice cup of tea, cake and then some fettling...
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Be whirring a way a bit later on the turbo ain't risking it! When it's like this if do venture out the mtb comes out of hibernation :wink:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    A steady 28 miles for me this morning - and it was chuffing cold out!! There was the odd bit of frost left in shaded places and at one point i did a speedway rider impression when the back went sideways on a straight but stayed upright. Two cups of coffee at the famous Eureka Cafe was nice, but going back outside wasnt so nice. Still, first ride in 4 months so great to be out after a knee injury that i'm still seeing the physio about. 15mph average was fast enough for me today anyway given the fitness (what fitness) levels and slippery conditions.

Tacx Fortius VR trainer arrives Tuesday though so thats my plan
  • We had a really heavy frost as well last night, as we had know rain yeasterday i went out and managed 30 odd miles. With no hary momments.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It wasn't going to stop me but.... halfway up a hill i was confronted by thirty odd metres of ice caused by water running off the fields, i had to get off and push the bike, I still managed to complete a steady forty in the end.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I'm a bit further south than some of you posting so far on this thread... Surrey/Hampshire borders.
    Heavy frost and some ice on puddles but I took it carefully and got a very pleasant 55 miles in this morning.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    5 hours offroad, cafe stop halfway, average temperature 0.2 degrees
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Did around 55 today. Scarborough over Dalby forest and out to Malton and then back to the coast. Bloody cold... even more so when you get up into the forest. Nice coffee and cake at Purple Mountain to help with the numb toes. Only problem is that the cold always makes me really, really, really want to pee badly every couple of miles.........
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Out yesterday and it was icey in places and I would not have gone out if I knew.
    Today, severe frost and not a chance of lifting and I never went out.
    Saw a few groups of roadies out and about today, they were going pretty slow and sticking to main roads.
    Country roads were very bad.
    Sunday looks worse, weather map is blue all day.
  • Got a tough 52 miles in this morning & it was freezing! Saw three guys out, no helmets or hats on & they were bald! No sense in some people given the weather today.
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Went out for a hilly 47 this morning in the sunny county of Kent, a few icy patches and my ride buddy had an 'off'. Took it really easy after that, there were some nasty patches out there. Going up Toys hill for the first time warmed us up, it's a shame we couldn't enjoy the descent due to the ice and had to dismount and take the bikes for a walk for some sections. The avg mph looks great for todays ride. :?
  • DrKJM
    Well many of you are more intrepid than I am. After putting mudguards on my old mtb which is now my commuter having started a new job closer to home I pottered around on it doing the shopping before a regular 5 a aside game (outdoors). Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • DrKJM
    Well many of you are more intrepid than I am. After putting mudguards on my old mtb which is now my commuter having started a new job closer to home I pottered around on it doing the shopping before a regular 5 a aside game (outdoors). Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  • DrKJM
    oops
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Way too icy where I am hopefully I'll be riding to work tomorrow night.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I dont like icy roads but went out this morning as the weather had been dry so just the frost to contend with.
    I went to usual meeting point and only I was there.
    I headed off and did a great ride of about 65 miles, beautiful views and sunshine.
    I did get one muppet on a mountain bike ride up and past me, no good morning or chat, and wearing shorts :D so I just rode back up to himvand laughed at his shorts and rode off :D
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    I dont like icy roads but went out this morning as the weather had been dry so just the frost to contend with.
    I went to usual meeting point and only I was there.
    I headed off and did a great ride of about 65 miles, beautiful views and sunshine.
    I did get one muppet on a mountain bike ride up and past me, no good morning or chat, and wearing shorts :D so I just rode back up to himvand laughed at his shorts and rode off :D

So he was just minding his own business out for a ride not bothering anyone or forcing any inane chat on anyone, you however by your own admission went out of your way to laugh at his attire, and he is a muppet! Go figure
  • Here in the midlands it was very cold this afto but went out for a 16 mile route I ride. Wrapped up well, was still very cold but road was fine and no wind! Quite enjoyable really, as the dangerous road conditions this morning had gone by the afto! Saw lots of riders out today, especially at the tea room in Rosliston, lots of nice bikes parked up.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Managed a nice coastal 55 miles this morning, car were well frozen when I,left and was on new tyres and wheels too. The legs felt good and unless it's minus five I'm gonna go I thinks, of course until I fall off !!!
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    i managed to get out this morning.. 70 mi at a good pace. Some of the roads were icy though, so some care was needed. Other than that, it was a gorgeous day.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Was it fozzie bear on the mtb, he would only need shorts.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Very frosty everywhere this morning and our streets are like an ice rink. Saw one bloke pancake onto the deck and he was only going out to de-ice his car. After my off in June last year (broken collar bone, two cracked ribs) I am going to be bashing the turbo trainer in the garage today. I don't want another kiss-the-tarmac moment if I can help it.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Ditched the club ride this morning as it's whiter than white outside :(

But hoping to get out for a couple of hours later :wink:
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    maybe a silly question but,
    Do turbo trainers make much noise when in use?
    would it vibrate on a wooden floor
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    I wasn't allowed out to play today and went with SWMBO over to Hampton Court.... lots of (club) riders out, some quite big groups.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I went out this afternoon on my Sirrus hybrid in case roads were still a bit frosty, but they were fine. I did a very enjoyable 21 mile circuit at a relaxed pace. Was well wrapped-up and only really felt the cold when going downhill at over 25 mph. That is apart from my feet that were very cold near the end of the ride despite wearing winter cycling socks with walking socks over them.