Would you cycle at -4C

Full Merckx
Full Merckx Posts: 143
I may be a woos, but it's -4C tonight and I'm due for a long ride tomorrow. Would you cycle ?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If the roads aren't icey dicey then yes I would.
    More problems but still living....
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    I did last winter, I used to cycle to work at 3am in the morning,
    bloody freezing.
  • I did 53 miles today and it was 3-4 deg c and light winds ,nice conditions, tomorrow similar daytime temps and even lighter winds so should be good for another good ride,when your water freezes solid in the bottle on a ride thats when you know its cold.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I may be a woos, but it's -4C tonight and I'm due for a long ride tomorrow. Would you cycle ?

newsflash - the temperature at night is not the same as the temperature during the day.....
  • I am out tomorrow what ever the temps, fortunately its been dry so there is very little water to freeze and the roads are bone dry, layer up and try to avoid going into the red and breathing heavily, sucking lots of cold air into the lungs, if its a long ride take some food as your body will be using more energy trying to keep your core warm, due to this your body will reduce blood flow to the hands and feet so the secret is to wear roubaix tights with quality overshoes and long sleeves on the arms 2-3 layers and of course gloves, and dont forget to wear a skul cap or something under your helmet, that be the one on your head :D

Enjoy your ride and if there is ice around your way dont bother, get on the turbo, or go off road.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I do the front door test. If I can get out the front door and walk to the end of the driveway without falling over then it's safe to cycle. I've cylced on ice-free roads up to -8C and I'm sure there are better examples. If I can't see or feel ice I ride :D
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    ive got up this morning and there is frost everywhere so i`ve gibbed it - not worth it to go to work
    i need more bikes
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    If it's -4 when it's time to set off, then no, I don't consider the risk worth it.
    With dry roads, it may be OK, but one patch of black ice or one bit they forgot to grit and I could undo a lot of hard training miles.
  • As others have said, temperature alone isn't a problem as you can always layer up but you need to consider the risk of ice or slipping if it's recently been wet or damp.

Ultimately, it's your call. In previous years not even sheet ice or compacted snow at temperatures into minus double figures would stop me riding on 25mm slicks, it just added to the challenge, but so far this year I've been a bit fairweather and am choosing to train indoors instead.
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    go out later when it's slightly warmer
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    -4C doesn't automatically mean its unsafe.

I've cycled to work in safety at -8C, conversely, I came off and smashed my hip up in the ice when it was only 0C.

The temperature is just a number, its not an indication of how safe it is, you need to judge the conditions and make an informed decision, if you don't think its safe, don't ride.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I commute to work when it is below freezing, but if it is below or around freezing at the weekend then it's the turbo trainer. I cycle on hilly routes in the Jura which are often in and out of shade and the thought of hitting a patch of ice on a big descent at 40mph does not bear thinking about.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    1.I like to have a stop for tea and cake part way round and take another thermal vest to change in too if I have been sweating.
    2. If the pace is quite high then a lightweight nylon jacket to keep the wind out and one thermal vest is sufficient. Stopping for a rest is not an option because of chilling.
    3. I was riding to work one morning many years ago and wondered why people up the road with bikes were walking. I found out. It was because there was a pocket of very, very cold air. It must have been -12 or more because I had to get off and walk,. Even with thick gloves on I couldn't hold the bars.
    4. When riding in cold conditions I would keep my chest warmer by wearing a bib made from a bit of polythene bag. Thin enough to stick in a pocket when I didn't need it.
    5. I use a heavier/slower bike when its cold so it keeps the wind chill down a bit.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Was there any need for that, really?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    danowat wrote:
    -4C doesn't automatically mean its unsafe.

I've cycled to work in safety at -8C, conversely, I came off and smashed my hip up in the ice when it was only 0C.

The temperature is just a number, its not an indication of how safe it is, you need to judge the conditions and make an informed decision, if you don't think its safe, don't ride.

Indeed, the road temperature is often different to the air temperature and at night can be several degrees lower if skies are cloudless, so air temperatures of +1 or +2 can result in ice too.

Shaded spots on roads can stay colder than the air temperature during the day too.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Roads in the Peaks were fine today. Occasional bits of ice where water has been running across the road, but otherwise it was a glorious winter day for a bike ride.
    More problems but still living....
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    me no, never ever risk it, countryside always has it's own micro climate and roads lethal. My simple test is, car frosted or frozen then it's a no. Can't believe the amount of people who seem to think it is normal to continue going out on club runs or training when we have icy weather/frost, it ain't worth it, have seen the carnage over and over in the past.
    main roads for me this afternoon just nearby looping for an hour.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Went out this morning in -1... It was a beautiful ride, did 60 odd miles and had a cape made of steam.

It was actually a really nice ride to see everything frosted! Roads were fine though.
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    it was -2 when I cycled to work this morning,
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242

These dickheads can mow you down in any conditions. I know I was hit from behind on a perfect early Spring day 13C, sunshine and dry road.

Oh! and don't forget the wind chill factor guys.

Did 64 miles today cold at start 10am but got working and warmed also we stuck to gritted roads nearly all the way.

Tip, if you are having a cafe stop take a spare pair of dry gloves with you to put on after stop. :wink:
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155

Only with the right clobber. I tried a few rides in my early naive days and it was torture without being comfortable. For example quality gloves and overshoes make a huge difference, but today's ride the windstopper jacket was out and a l/s jersey over a base layer being minimum.

The wind was evil going descending at these temperatures!
  • Wasn't -4C so cycled. Pseudonym you're a bell end
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Go mtb! Huge fun skidding, smashing ice and leaping over jumps. I cover a set route on a hardtail which is hard as nails. :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I've been out throughout Winter - frosty, ok ish - icy (after rain) stay in. This morning at 4.00am it was 1 deg and frosty < 7mph wind - quick 35 miler, lovely ride - it wasn't icy as such, so it was just about ok.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Go mtb! Huge fun skidding, smashing ice and leaping over jumps. I cover a set route on a hardtail which is hard as nails. :D

+1 - great fun in this weather
  • Very cold this morning, frost was heavy but not on the roads, temp -7 at 9am so waitied till 11 when it was around zero, lovely steady ride, clear sky's by 12.30 it was feeling mild and very glad I made the effort, if there had been a hint of ice I would have been back on the turbo, this cold spell is with us for another few days so be safe.
  • Mettan wrote:
    I've been out throughout Winter - frosty, ok ish - icy (after rain) stay in. This morning at 4.00am it was 1 deg and frosty < 7mph wind - quick 35 miler, lovely ride - it wasn't icy as such, so it was just about ok.

Same here been out a few times a week the last few weeks including a longer 50 miler up to Matlock in December. I don't think I would go out on icy/snowy roads, but as long as the sky is clear I'd go and just wrap up. When it's crisp and cold it's often really nice out, clear blue skies etc...
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    'Tis more about the ice on the ground in terms of slip'n'slide and the wind (or lack of it) when it comes to temp. In these parts despite freezing temps it has been as good as it gets...in Jan. Just get your layers right.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Cycled to work last winter down to - 13 , that was cold :shock:
    FCN 3/5/9