Keeping up on a long drag

Grifteruk
Grifteruk Posts: 244
Hi all,

One of my training aims this year is (like loads of people) to try and improve my climbing. I tend to end up in a higher gear on long drags than some club mates and find it more difficult to push lower gears. I dont have any problem getting over climbs (be it short steep or long drags), but want to improve my ability to hang on to the pace during the longer climbing efforts, where I can get trailed off, due to an ability by others to keep a higher pace than I can live with.

I am not sure if I am looking at a power issue in terms of the ability to push the lower gears or HR/cardio issue or a combination of both :?: My cardio is reasonable in all other riding situations (I am able to stick with and compete with the same riders on lumpy sections, short sharp efforts or long flats) and I am happy with the bike set up in that on the hills in question, I often run a compact with a 27.

I dont race but we have quite competitive club runs and want to try and hang on to for longer during the long drags.

At the minute I am doing long rides each Saturday and Sunday of varying efforts with turbo in the week.

Any tips on training efforts to try and help in this area and improve gratefully rec'd?

Comments