Garmin Forerunner 305

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
I have recently purchased a garmin forerunner 305 to help with my triathlon training. Question I have is do I also need the footpad And cadence monitors?

I am guessing yes for the cadence monitor as how else will it know how fast I am pedalling, however if I am running with the unit not pick how how fast I am running without the foot pod? What extra info does the pod give me?

Cheers

Comments

• dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    foot pod is good for cadence whilst running / Bike cadence unit is good for knowing your cadence whilst cycling.

Neither are necessary but like most gadgets they help if you are into numbers etc.

I've got both but dont use them (I don't run anymore) and I can get cadence from my PT

I don't really use my forerunner anymore at all - except for logging a gps route for riding - and even that I don't really do.
  • Xommul
    Xommul Posts: 251
    Myself and a lot of others use cadence quite a bit.

The scientists tell us in cycling you should try to maintain a cadence of around 90, for some reason its the most efficeint cycling cadence. Obviously ging up hills your cadence will drop but keeping tabs on your cadence and noting which gears you are in can be a training aid to measure increased performance.

I have no experience with running cadence, i expect there might be the same kind of natural efficient cadence but ive never found it, im normally knackered after half a mile.
    MTB Trek 4300 Disc 1999
    Road Rose Carbon Pro RS Custom
    Canyon Spectral AL 7.9 29er