No Motivation

bwfc4eva868
bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Bit of a boring topic but its really bugging me. I currently do 48 Hour weeks on the Zombie Shift (Nightshift) now I'm currently doing stupid shifts. I.e One day off, one in, day off then three on and its completely left me drained.

Now i have had a proper ride on the bike since before Christmas and its really bugging me. Now for people who work nightshifts or just General 12 hour shifts, do you go for a ride after work for a couple of hours or just sack it off until you get a few days off. Supposed to be going Edinburgh at the weekend with the Girlfriend as i was moaned at last year for spending far too much time on my bike.

Also when i do decide to go out, i usually get half way and get sick to death of the wind and rain and sack it off.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ride to work and back?

I don't work shifts, but I ride much more if that's the only way for me to get home! My local riding is rubbish, and forcing myself ot go out was making MTBing a chore, now that I ride to work, I save the MTB for fun riding and enjoy it a lot more, plus the fact that if I wanted to I could do 150 miles a week just commuting (or more if I go the long way) means that I never have to think about making myself go out on the MTB 'just because'. I do my miles on the commute, I have fun on the MTB when I can.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I work 12hr shifts, but day shifts. 60hrs P/W minimum and since being down on staff i have been doing overtime on top of that! to say the wife is not happy is an understatement.
    The riding is fitted in as an when, except sunday where i go religiously :wink:
    Night riding has been a big feature this year, so has riding with headphones as no one else is around to ride with, or to unpredictable to organise.
    I find having the races booked keep me focused and something to aim for.

Anywhooo
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Do yourself a hit list of trails you would like to do this year and focus on getting fit for summer, weather sucks this time of year its allway dark or seems like it.

Just try to stay positive and look forward to the better weather.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I do shift work which entails alot of dodgy hours ( Support worker )

So alot of the time when People are out and about i'm working and have no choice but to ride alone..

If you feeling low in morale, stick a few mtb vids on and then you will re-discover the bug for it... Even if it's only getting out locally for half an hour.... it's better then nothing.. :)
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Thats the other thing my biking buddies have all sacked it off for various reasons. So no access to trail centres due to lack of car. I refuse to pay £1500 a year car insurance when i have a 250 cc and 600 on one policy for £300. I love Gisburn but its getting there. I have Rivington on my doorstep, but unsure about riding it at night on my own. Sounds sad but Im shit scared of weirs, especially at Highwater. Have to go past 3 on my local route to Rivvy. Was thinking of doing two or three hours tomoz after work. Just a local ride, up to San Marino descent get to the top and back down it.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used to be stuck on the bloody night shift did 13 years on it.

then i got made redundent and got my life back.... what you need is to be like me and get paid to go out riding your bike.. i did a nice 15 miler today.. you cant beat getting paid to do something you love..

best bet is get out when you can,, and watch dvds or hit the web and watch bike vids for inspiration..

not been up rivi for a while especially over winterhill..
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Just get out there early one morning after work. I do nights every third week and usually ride to work when I can.

I finish work at 6 am, Friday is the last day. I drive to work that shift, come home have some breakfast then head out by 7 am. The mornings will be lighter soon and the trails and bridleways are quiet at this time of day. You'll soon get back into it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    Im on a..4 on 4 off days/nights rotation.love it,never seems like im at work.only problem with this shift is that you end up riding by yourself during the week,cause everyone else is at work!! Also the wife tends to work shifts on my days off so i have a naughty 2 year old to sort out.not as much ride time as i'd like.
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • barty81 wrote:
    Im on a..4 on 4 off days/nights rotation.love it,never seems like im at work.only problem with this shift is that you end up riding by yourself during the week,cause everyone else is at work!! Also the wife tends to work shifts on my days off so i have a naughty 2 year old to sort out.not as much ride time as i'd like.

Thats what i used to do when i worked as a HCA in the NHS, currently in a Nursing home and its like One shift in then a pointless night off then I'll do 3 in a row have one more pointless day off and back in for two. So your body clock doesn't know what the hell its supposed to be doing. Can't wait to get a job back in the NHS as a RGN so i can do Normal rotating shifts.

I'm on my pointless one day off today, but I'm absolutely shattered so bed till 1500 have some tea at 1700 then go on either a night ride or go to sleep for a few hours, wake up at 0500 and then do 3/4 hours on the bike then sleep till I'm back on tomoz.

Was gonna go out this morning but its that horrible drizzle shite,. :(
  • Try and stop thinking of the weather/light as a factor in whether you mountain bike or not. You know that once you're out (if you have the right clothes and lighting) it doesn't make that much of a difference. I understand a routine is hard to get into if you're doing weird shifts, but try and give yourself a set amount of sleep and then put your mtb kit on as soon as you get up. Find a circular route that starts from your house, with little possibility of short-cutting and that has lots of fun bits in that you can constantly improve on. It just becomes your routine - up and out...

Agree on the watching mtb vids for inspiring yourself

If you get bored cycling alone, combine exercise with audiobooks or podcasts to do two things at one, fitness and education.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    To be fair, I haven't gone out much over the winter period and I'm unsure why, usually I do and this year it's been warmer than usual!
  • Maybe you're a bit depressed - Seasonal Adjustment Disorder - not getting enough sunlight because of winter's shorter days and the fact that you're having to sleep during the daytime.

Force yourself to get the endorphins pumping on the bike or buy a lightbox.....

You know that you will love it once you're out on the bike.
  • guy72277 wrote:
    Maybe you're a bit depressed - Seasonal Adjustment Disorder - not getting enough sunlight because of winter's shorter days and the fact that you're having to sleep during the daytime.

Force yourself to get the endorphins pumping on the bike or buy a lightbox.....

You know that you will love it once you're out on the bike.

Oh aye, that maybe just the nail on the head. As in all honesty I'm much happier when its above 15 Celsius and the days are long. I love the green trees etc. In fact after Christmas i hate winter with a passion. Its pretty much, i finish work its dark, i get up for work its dark. When on shift i rarely see daylight.

So first thing tomorrow i have a plan of going out early morning on the local route before encountering the dog walking dicks.

I have a local short but sweet descent hidden away in the woods at Entwistle that i can't wait to nail. I know once I'm out i love it.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Sounds like moanygirlfriend-itis. It is hard enough work to an irregular shift pattern and make time to get out and ride, whilst keeping the lady happy. I know how you feel, coming off the back of 75+ hour 6 day weeks over Christmas, finally got some time off. Looks to be a nice weekend to get out and ride, so the girlfriend has booked us a weekend away in Edinburgh

Hoping that if I keep her sweet, she'll not moan at me for getting out riding next week
  • ste_t wrote:
    Sounds like moanygirlfriend-itis. It is hard enough work to an irregular shift pattern and make time to get out and ride, whilst keeping the lady happy. I know how you feel, coming off the back of 75+ hour 6 day weeks over Christmas, finally got some time off. Looks to be a nice weekend to get out and ride, so the girlfriend has booked us a weekend away in Edinburgh

Hoping that if I keep her sweet, she'll not moan at me for getting out riding next week

Mine as much as i love her, split up with me one of the reasons being was when i booked a weeks annual leave i spent one day at Gisburn, one at Healey Nab and one at Lee Quarry and didn't do much with her. So to get affection that i apparently wasn't giving, she got pissed and snogged a coke sniffing Italian knob, who looks like Uncle fester in miniature form (5ft 2). So I'm sort of on my best behavior, she's happy for me to enjoy my hobby, but also show her some love.

On the plus side, least i don't look like that ugly fecker :lol:

We're off to Edinburgh, wish i could sneak to Glentress etc :( I can't wait to get out tomorrow now tho, go explore my local trails and bits i don't know.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Wait, she got off with someone else so now you are on your best behaviour?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Bit of a boring topic but its really bugging me. I currently do 48 Hour weeks on the Zombie Shift (Nightshift) now I'm currently doing stupid shifts. I.e One day off, one in, day off then three on and its completely left me drained.

Now i have had a proper ride on the bike since before Christmas and its really bugging me. Now for people who work nightshifts or just General 12 hour shifts, do you go for a ride after work for a couple of hours or just sack it off until you get a few days off. Supposed to be going Edinburgh at the weekend with the Girlfriend as i was moaned at last year for spending far too much time on my bike.

Also when i do decide to go out, i usually get half way and get sick to death of the wind and rain and sack it off.

I work 2 12hr days then 2 12hr nights and 4 off so also struggle with cycling buddies and the constant feel of being knackered, I also have 2 boys who are at school but still require me todo the school runs etc.

I don't ride after a day shift nor do I commute for a night shift as a 17mile commute in front of a night shift is too tough for me to manage. When the weather is dry/wind free/warmer I do commute to work on the bike for a day shift as I get to enjoy the Trans Pennine Trail and a quick blast in Wharncliffe Woods on my route and then wimp out and catch the train 3/4 of the way home and cycle the rest.

I've been neglegting the bike's lately due to the bad weather (Rain/Wind) in the Peak District but I do still have smaller rides, I chuck the bike on the roof of the car when taking the boys to school and then cycle home the long way (8-10miles depending on how I feel) and then leave about 1 1/2 hours before picking the boys up to have a (10-13miles) ride, this way it doesn't really matter too much about the bad weather as your not out in it for too long
    I find it much easier doing a couple of shortish rides rather than 1 long ride especially in the bad weather.
    We were really short staffed late last year and I did 4 1/2 months of x4 days x2 nights 2 off and was knackered and the biking certainly suffered for it but I'm making the most of it now my shifts have returned to normal
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    bails87 wrote:
    ^^^^ this :? :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • This guy confuses me.

Anyways, do what I do if you lack motivation.

MTFU
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Not entirely. I was back before October a randy and quite romantic lad and quite outgoing. I however changed into a boring old fart. Im not on my best behaviour as such and she knows what she did is wrong. Just needed the spark back in our relationship. Managed to get today off work with a bit of bullsh!t so managed a nice long ride. Saw a fantastic sunset, got muddy and now enjoying a pint. Going to have a short bkast in the morning and then back to work. Need to quit smoking also.
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Not entirely. I was back before October a randy and quite romantic lad and quite outgoing. I however changed into a boring old fart. Im not on my best behaviour as such and she knows what she did is wrong. Just needed the spark back in our relationship. Managed to get today off work with a bit of bullsh!t so managed a nice long ride. Saw a fantastic sunset, got muddy and now enjoying a pint. Going to have a short bkast in the morning and then back to work. Need to quit smoking also.

I'm in the same boat as you on that one! On my training route I have a smoking point. Which is after the first 30 minutes of climbing are done and I come to a plateau, which then has a very short steep climb waiting for me on the other end. I told myself I wasn't going to smoke until I get done with all climbing, and ended up feeling so good I rode the full loop and back home without a single cigg. I'm happy.
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you on that one! On my training route I have a smoking point. Which is after the first 30 minutes of climbing are done and I come to a plateau, which then has a very short steep climb waiting for me on the other end. I told myself I wasn't going to smoke until I get done with all climbing, and ended up feeling so good I rode the full loop and back home without a single cigg. I'm happy.

Yeah I have some nice sedate climbs on my local route and end up at a bridge for a cig. However when i don't have a cig and just have a drink or something I feel fantastic. I'm surprisingly quite fit for smoker and i know once i give up i will enjoy my rides more.

Also, i have worked out what i spend on ciggies, will pay for my car insurance, therefore i will be able to get a car and get to places like Gisburn at least once a week instead of once a month. So thats my plan this year, give up enjoy my riding more and go for weekends away with the bike or girlfriend, just split the time between two different rides :lol:
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Yeah I have some nice sedate climbs on my local route and end up at a bridge for a cig. However when i don't have a cig and just have a drink or something I feel fantastic. I'm surprisingly quite fit for smoker and i know once i give up i will enjoy my rides more.

Also, i have worked out what i spend on ciggies, will pay for my car insurance, therefore i will be able to get a car and get to places like Gisburn at least once a week instead of once a month. So thats my plan this year, give up enjoy my riding more and go for weekends away with the bike or girlfriend, just split the time between two different rides :lol:

I hear you, and best of luck on your quest!

I've bought myself a Nicorette inhaler thingy, and will be open the pack in the morning once I wake up. My main problem i've had recently is I always wake up, and there are a few ciggs left in the pack, so I have one and think it would be wrong to throw everything away, and end up buying another pack later in the day. Luckily I only have one cigg left in my pack, and since I wake up at 5:30am everyday, that will be my last one for tonight, and hopefully not having smoked in the morning will help me hit my target! I can afford the bike I want in 20 months once I stop smoking (cigarettes are ALOT cheaper here, than in the U.K.)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Never smoked but good luck and if it gets you a new bike/car insurance worth doing.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • delcol
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Never smoked but good luck and if it gets you a new bike/car insurance worth doing.

now there the motivation, to give up....
  • castlelad
    castlelad Posts: 414
    I also do 12hr "zombie" shifts albeit 4 on 4 off , commute to work atleast 3 times out the 4. Doing in total maybe 30/35 miles and in summertime maybe 45/50 miles but yeah i understand your reasons for not being motivated to ride more.....but on the flip side to that whenever i get a nice morning i double my ride home and go "the long way ", just to make it interesting, and out of my 4 off i make sure i have 1 day for "me time" and no matter what weather i'm out with "mary the mongoose".......sometimes we love it, sometimes we hate it but it helps blow out the cobwebs of "life" i spose.... Go to edinburgh,spoil the mrs, give her your undivided attention and then when you get back u'l be blown in for a bit of biking ! :wink:
  • castlelad wrote:
    I also do 12hr "zombie" shifts albeit 4 on 4 off , commute to work atleast 3 times out the 4. Doing in total maybe 30/35 miles and in summertime maybe 45/50 miles but yeah i understand your reasons for not being motivated to ride more.....but on the flip side to that whenever i get a nice morning i double my ride home and go "the long way ", just to make it interesting, and out of my 4 off i make sure i have 1 day for "me time" and no matter what weather i'm out with "mary the mongoose".......sometimes we love it, sometimes we hate it but it helps blow out the cobwebs of "life" i spose.... Go to edinburgh,spoil the mrs, give her your undivided attention and then when you get back u'l be blown in for a bit of biking ! :wink:

Yeah I have suggested to work, that they need to start doing proper off duty. As the whole one in one off sh!t is getting beyond a joke. There is plenty of staff to rotate them on either 3 on 3 off or 4 on 4 off. Works on a ward in the NHS which have even less staff, so why they don't do it here in my place of work i do not know.

I'd love to be able to commute to work, i think its about 12 miles there and back. Will probably start in the summer doing that, and if I'm really lazy there is the train to get back.

Getting out for a ride tomorrow morning before we hit the Road to Edinburgh as she's working in the morning so its bike time :)
  • Have you ever tried riding after a night shift? My mate and I used to go after a 2200x0700 shift every now and again. Once you are out and about and being active it keeps you far more awake than you'd believe. I've never had a (tiredness related) problem when out riding in this fashion... Drive to/from trail centre used to be interesting though, and by 7pm you will be a zombie, but at least you got your ride in, eh?

Try it and you'll be amazed.

Everyone will think you are mental though :-)

Best of luck!

James
  • delcol
    slimboyjim wrote:
    Have you ever tried riding after a night shift? My mate and I used to go after a 2200x0700 shift every now and again. Once you are out and about and being active it keeps you far more awake than you'd believe. I've never had a (tiredness related) problem when out riding in this fashion... Drive to/from trail centre used to be interesting though, and by 7pm you will be a zombie, but at least you got your ride in, eh?

Try it and you'll be amazed.

Everyone will think you are mental though :-)

Best of luck!

James

used to do most saturdays and got away with it. but one sat in march i went out didnt feel 100% with it. and decided to jump the table top in a 15mph gale ended up with a dislocated shoulder and broken clavicle and a broken thumb... after that i never did go out after my night shift...