Reducing bike weight... what to spend money on ?

2»

Comments

• brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    KMC 10SL Chain from Merlin is my choice. Lighter than a Dura Ace Chain and @ £32.50 + the discount for joining their club, its not a bad cost v weight reduction.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I did quite a lot of weight saving research when building my bike, and found the following in general offered savings (all mine done on a budget)
    Stem - changed from supplied one to planet x and saved about 50g, planet x model b wheels, tires and tubes saved about 1kg in total over the supplied kit, don't forget skewers, reduced weight of mine by more than half with planet x titanium, compact bars were lighter than and better than those supplied, saved over 100g by replacing brakes with no loss of performance, seat post replacement also reduced weight, then blingy stuff like carbon botle cages. I haven't changed my saddle even though I know it's fairly heavy because it's comfy.
    Can't say what weight gain I have achieved in total because I also changed frame, but I think it's somewhere near 2kg.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    ChrisSA wrote:
    How much do you weigh?

+1

People tend to forget or overlook that it is the combined rider-bicycle package that matters, not just the weight of the bicycle. Chances are there are more and better possibilities to shed weight on the rider than there are on the machine - and it'll cost you a lot less than a grand to boot.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    ChrisSA wrote:
    How much do you weigh?

+1

People tend to forget or overlook that it is the combined rider-bicycle package that matters, not just the weight of the bicycle. Chances are there are more and better possibilities to shed weight on the rider than there are on the machine - and it'll cost you a lot less than a grand to boot.

+1
    Unless you're built like a Japanese racing snake already!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • ++1

It makes me laugh with speedplay pedals when they talk about the weight of the pedal itself. In reality you then stick the weighty cleat to the pedal and it's the same as if you had a heavier pedal and a lighter cleat. (I have a pair of Speedplay Zeros but because of the float rather than any weight issues).

This is my top tip for saving weight on your bike:

senokot_tablets.jpg
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Why not use the £1000 on coaching??

Will be more beneficial and you'll get even more of a kick flying up hills beating people on your standard bike!

it's not about the bike ;)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Why not use the £1000 on coaching??

+1

I was going to post "gym membership" but thought it a little facetious. That said, If I had a grand to spend on the bike I would be looking for ways to improve the engine (and maybe spend a little on bike bling).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,201
    No wonder you want weight reduction if you have a 2 mile long climb at 15% in your area, I never realised there were any hills in the UK that maintained a gradient like that over such a length!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    480 meters in two miles ? That is a good climb. Where's that then ?
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    There's a climb near me that's 250m high and almost exactly 2km long (I work that out at 12% av). It's a real killer. I've never come across a harder hill.

Edit: Do you think if I got some lighter skewers I could go up this hill faster :wink:
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Do you think if I got some lighter skewers I could go up this hill faster :wink:

Along with about a hundred other factors yes they will :shock:
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Buy some high-end Campag stuff.... At that price, you'll convince yourself that you can get up the hill faster... If you carry your wallet around with you, you'll definely be lighter. :)