The Flat Earth Society

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So last night we were talking about conspiracies, cults etc and my housemate said she always intends to do a bit of digging into the theory behind the Flat Earth, when she has a spare minute, but always forgets.

So what did I do? I had a look for myself - at The Flat Earth Society's website: http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/. I shouldn't have been, but I was left astonished after reading their "evidence" for the earth being flat. It's a right load of bollocks!

Has anyone else set time aside to critique this theory?
Are there any Flat Earthers on BikeRadar? If so, can you give us a one-post run down?
Are Flat Earthers a bit nuts?
Can there possibly be any sense in their claims?
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Can there possibly be any sense in their claims?
    No, they're nuts.
    Balham Hill could not exist on a flat earth.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    It's Turtles all the way down, young man.

Tsk
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Ben6899 wrote:
    So last night we were talking about conspiracies, cults etc and my housemate said she always intends to do a bit of digging into the theory behind the Flat Earth, when she has a spare minute, but always forgets.

Tell her not to dig too far or she'll come out of the bottom and drop into the unknowable void.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Tell her not to dig too far or she'll come out of the bottom and drop into the unknowable void.
    See note above ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    How can the Earth be flat when there is Balham Hill!!?

Editted to add: Darn it dhope 'Balham Hill' is my meme!!! Get your own. :x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    On the basis that nobody, surely, could be that dumb, it is of course nothing more than a satirical society / site.

Unlike the ones about the twin towers being blown up by the CIA so that the Zionist War Machine would have an excuse to annex the Arab oilfields etc etc.

By the way, it was Elvis on the grassy knoll. I have seen the photos.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    I can't believe no one can remember the Zombie war of '03.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Ben6899
    It's reassuring that you all think along the same lines as I do. I.e. it's bollocks.

On a serious note, I promise you it's nothing to do with satire; these people are dead serious. There are papers written on it and completely unfounded "physical proofs".

Madness I tell ya!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    anyone seen the conspiracy theory that Paul McCartney isnt the real Paul McCartney?

my mrs was talking about it t'other night. there are loads of things that point towards his death like on the Abbey Road album cover Paul is bare feet to indicate he is a corpse

mad i tells ya....mad!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Remember reading something highbrow about people who believe in conspiracy theories.

Something about justifying and making sense of mainstream social alienation.

I.e. if you're a little weird and by and large shunned from mainstream stuff, you seek solace by framing it in abstract conspiracies that justify your position at the fringe as legitimate and correct.

Still - doesn't mean the conspiracies aren't full of sh!t.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited January 2012
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It's reassuring that you all think along the same lines as I do. I.e. it's bollocks.

On a serious note, I promise you it's nothing to do with satire; these people are dead serious. There are papers written on it and completely unfounded "physical proofs".

Madness I tell ya!

Indeed. No satire has ever been this thorough. Part of me is itching to dive into the theory and see what they have come up with to explain even really simple stuff like being able to see that the Earth is curved from a hot air balloon with your own two eyes.

[url]://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f2dea5e5f676f8ad40badc16756f8528&board=10.0[/url]

Disappointed to not find a FE Chat. Edit: Ah, it's called 'Lounge' - somethings apply even in/on a flat Earth.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    I still don't think Tupac is dead. No dead man could release as many albums after his death as he has unless he was actually alive rapping his little Thug Life heart out.
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Surely this is just an excuse to meet and drink beer. No one believes that rubbish....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    JonGinge wrote:

Tsk

And elephants. Don't forget the elephants...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    I thought it was a club for SS and fixie riders? They probably wish that the Earth was flat at any rate :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone seen the conspiracy theory that Paul McCartney isnt the real Paul McCartney?

my mrs was talking about it t'other night. there are loads of things that point towards his death like on the Abbey Road album cover Paul is bare feet to indicate he is a corpse

mad i tells ya....mad!
    CBS did a take on that with the cast of CSI that had Grissom bare foot. There was A LOT of speculation and panic that it meant he was going to be killed off.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Are these the same folks who believe there's a God?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    It's a common fallacy that people used to believe the Earth was flat. In fact, throughout most of history, people have never held that belief (though they did think it was some funny old shapes... but flat wasn't one of them). Even two thousand years ago, the flat earth society would of been deemed a bunch of wierdos.
  • DonDaddyD
    Ouija wrote:
    It's a common fallacy that people used to believe the Earth was flat. In fact, throughout most of history, people have never held that belief (though they did think it was some funny old shapes... but flat wasn't one of them). Even two thousand years ago, the flat earth society would have been deemed a bunch of wierdos.
    Can that be substantiated with any evidence or references to evidence please?
    Food Chain number = 4

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You could waste whole weeks on their forum.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    It's a common fallacy that people used to believe the Earth was flat. In fact, throughout most of history, people have never held that belief (though they did think it was some funny old shapes... but flat wasn't one of them). Even two thousand years ago, the flat earth society would have been deemed a bunch of wierdos.
    Wikipedia good enough?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    cjcp wrote:
    Are these the same folks who believe there's a God?

That was my first thought!
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    I strongly suspect that when clever types such as fizzycists get to the point when most people stop understanding what they are saying, they start making stuff up. Black holes and such like....

That Stephen Hawking fellow is having a right good laugh.....well sort of.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    mudcow007 wrote:

mad i tells ya....mad!

that 'theory' has been around since circa 1969
    FCN = 4
  • SimonAH
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Anyone watching a ship come up over the horizon would have to be blind not to see it as a round world - the curvature is a.lot tighter than you think.

• SimonAH
    I suppose a primitive forest dweller could be forgiven however......

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Gussio wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Tsk

No, no, no, it's lizards, according to David Icke....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • jonginge
    msmancunia wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Tsk

No, no, no, it's lizards, according to David Icke....
    Oh, shoot. I'm gonna have to go and rethink some stuff...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ben6899
    edited January 2012
    SimonAH wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Anyone watching a ship come up over the horizon would have to be blind not to see it as a round world - the curvature is a.lot tighter than you think.

Exactly. In fact, the curvature of the earth is that "tight", the towers of the Humber Bridge, although both vertical/constructed normal to the earth's surface, are 36mm further apart at the top than the bottom due to it. The centre span is just less than a mile in length so it doesn't take much to display the curvature; like you say: a ship on the horizon is another perfect example.

Plus satellite images of course.

Go in the forum and tell them all this and you'll be blown away by the torrent of oral sewage.
    Ben