Does my position look okay?

2»

Comments

• richard36
    richard36 Posts: 346
    Evil Laugh - that's good advice thanks. The only problem doing what you suggest is that I live in South West Scotland. I have family in Manchester and was going to make a special visit to Adrian whilst in Manchester. Therefore I may only be able to make the one visit to him. Will call him and see what he suggests.

Cheers
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    I don't know about his services but the guy I used would then transfer the fit to the new bike for I think was £50 or something off the top of my head.

£50 to tell you what length stem to buy?
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Evil Laugh wrote:
    I don't know about his services but the guy I used would then transfer the fit to the new bike for I think was £50 or something off the top of my head.

£50 to tell you what length stem to buy?

I'll do it for £49, for an extra £50 I'll raise your saddle and move it around a bit.

:)
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    based simply on the footage, position looks slightly too high, by pausing the footage and watching you step over the top tube and for a very brief split second when you were almost sat on the saddle - you had a long leg stretch with the knee over extended. If you were power climbing a long hill sat in the saddle where you would push yourself back on the saddle I would be worried about further extension of the knee here.
    Drop that post a few mm and see how it feels.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Team4Luke wrote:
    based simply on the footage, position looks slightly too high, by pausing the footage and watching you step over the top tube and for a very brief split second when you were almost sat on the saddle

that's about as useful as saying that his position looks wrong because his curtains are the wrong colour....
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Another thing might be to level your saddle (a hardback book and a spirit level (or iphone) is all you need) ...

That way if/when you drop the bars you won't slip forward to the nose of the saddle quite so easily ...
  • Team4Luke
    Team4Luke Posts: 597
    Pseudonym wrote:
    Team4Luke wrote:
    based simply on the footage, position looks slightly too high, by pausing the footage and watching you step over the top tube and for a very brief split second when you were almost sat on the saddle

that's about as useful as saying that his position looks wrong because his curtains are the wrong colour....

my reply is as useful as the OP asking the same on a forum.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • I'd not bother with a bikefit if alls well anyway. I think it's pretty easy to get it right to a few millimetres purely using judgement. And bikes that come in S M or L just make a mockery of it all anyway.
    My initial thought was you were a little too high, but your'e a pretty big bloke i.e not one of the skinny or fat guys so I don't know how comfortable you'd be in a slightly more tucked position.
    IMO of course. And in my 37 years of racing I've been lucky to ride with guys who could point out any little wrongs.
    So if you are okay the only thing I'd recommend is a session on a Wattbike. It's all very well being told what size bike you need, but it amounts to zero if you don't know how to ride. A session on a Wattbike really does give you a window into what you are actually doing.
    I must say I am a luddite, and have always believed that cyclists should serve an apprentiship and learn a bit about their bodies rather than glean all their knowledge from a bike fit and internet forum. Human bodies are unique so much so that one particular type of bike fit might not be the best for everyone. And a fit on a guy that hasn't warmed up might be different to one on a guy that's cycled for 40 minutes to get to the fit. I still have mornings were the bike feels a liile to big, but 1/2 hour in and I'm set for the day.
    Ridley Supercross the cross bike

E W Hannington the vintage bike.
    Trek X-Caliber the MTB.