Greg pr0n - The Iron Lady

2»

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    People I think that will enjoy it:
      JeremyRundle Spen666 Stevo66
    Well now you've named me as one of Thatcher's Stormtroopers I suppose I'll have to go and watch it. I'm a bit disappointed you only put me in the 'moderately fascist' group though ;-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Basing a country's economic policy on a new theory that had only been tried in a South American dictatorship is not the action of a sane person.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • From what I have heard, it is a bit saccharine and a bit too much of a Streep-showcase. Last night's telly had a throwaway line about her having been the most influential and important woman this country has known since Elizabeth I. I started to raise an eyebrow, but then it dawned on me that that was probably completely correct. Whatever one thinks of her politics or her personality, someone who can claim that label deserves a serious biopic, which I don't think this is.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    To an American audience used to the American right she'll come across as the sanest person on the planet. That lot are properly scary.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    People who will watch it while foaming at the mouth:
      Mybreakfastconsisted Rick Chasey Notsoblue RJSterry Tailwindhome Sewinman

Anyway, when you do watch it let me know what you think.

Hey, I'm on the list.

People who will watch it while hoping there parents never find out and have the DVD in that secret place under the bed for those nights when the Mrs is out with the girls

DDD
    NGale wrote:

Here, here!! Public holiday yes...so people can celebrate!

I remember the 80s and living under the cloud of my parents having their phone tapped and being followed all because my father as a union member and both parents active members of the labour party! I also remember going to South Wales during the Miners strike to take food and clothes packages to families there who were being starved to death.

The mining industry may have been dying, but she did the unforgivable, she stripped decent people of their dignity :evil:

Does the Commander know of this??
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    NGale wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

On a related note, I have heard talk of a state funeral - this must not be allowed to happen!

Here, here!! Public holiday yes...so people can celebrate!

I remember the 80s and living under the cloud of my parents having their phone tapped and being followed all because my father as a union member and both parents active members of the labour party! I also remember going to South Wales during the Miners strike to take food and clothes packages to families there who were being starved to death.

The mining industry may have been dying, but she did the unforgivable, she stripped decent people of their dignity :evil:

Coming from a Yorkshire mining family I have a deep hatred of the woman and her everlasting smugness - they'll have to put a guard on her grave otherwise I know people who will be queuing up to p*ss on it
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I thought Meryl Streep was American! :roll:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Either way, the team that made the film were taking a huge risk, no? Surely at least 50% of regular film goers hate Thatcher so much, that they won't bother going to see it, so viewing numbers might not look so great...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    edited January 2012
    Either way, the team that made the film were taking a huge risk, no? Surely at least 50% of regular film goers hate Thatcher so much, that they won't bother going to see it, so viewing numbers might not look so great...
    Enough people liked her to vote her in 3 times ;-), so there'll probably be a few takers. It would be a much bigger risk making a film about (say) Gordon Brown, Neil Kinnock or Michael Foot - who the hell would bother going to see something like that? :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Enough people liked her to vote her in 3 times ;-), so there'll probably be a few takers. It would be a much bigger risk making a file about (say) Gordon Brown, Neil Kinnock or Michael Foot - who the hell would bother going to see something like that? :-)

This is true, whenever i see Brown on tv, I get a little bit of sick in my mouth.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg66 wrote:
    her [Thatcher] having been the most influential and important woman this country has known since Elizabeth I. I started to raise an eyebrow, but then it dawned on me that that was probably completely correct.
    I am inclined to agree with this.

With the exception of Lizzy no. 1 no other Woman has held a higher and more influential office in this country.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:

I'm a bit of a Michael White fan.

He can be flippant and divisive, and he certainly sits to the right of that whole paper, but he's pretty good.

As an aside: I couldn't believe Cameron, leader of the Tory party, spoke of "market failures" that had to be corrected.

Granted his suggested policies won't do anything, but that he even came out with that bad boy.