Greg pr0n - The Iron Lady

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So, who is going to watch the the Thatcher film, The Iron Lady? Why, are you really excited about it and will you have tears? What famous moment in Maggie Thatcher's career are you hoping to see captured on the silver screen

My predictions:

People who may be removed from the cinema for indecent exposure (yes they'll enjoy that much):
    Greg66 GregT W1

People I think that will enjoy it:
    JeremyRundle Spen666 Stevo66

People who will watch it while foaming at the mouth:
    Mybreakfastconsisted Rick Chasey Notsoblue RJSterry Tailwindhome Sewinman

Anyway, when you do watch it let me know what you think.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Top of the foaming list? *sadface*

and you excluded NSB?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Surely those on the "foaming at the mouth" list are really the ones that will enjoy it? It gives them a chance to get angry again
  • rick_chasey
    davmaggs wrote:
    Surely those on the "foaming at the mouth" list are really the ones that will enjoy it? It gives them a chance to get angry again

He has a point.
  • DonDaddyD
    You come across as so very politically left that this film would be an affront to everything you stand for unless it was counter balanced with a film about Lembit Opik...

Where would you place notsoblue. I did actually think about adding him.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    davmaggs wrote:
    Good point, I forgot the Liberals like to protest and get angry while the Conservatives like to make money at everyones expense...

I personally would am somewhat curious about this film. It, supposedly, portrays Thatcher and by extension the Tory's in a positive light (Poll tax riots and all). I will be interested to see what, if any, impact this film has on the actual political stage and whether it influences public opinion of the Tory's.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You come across as so very politically left that this film would be an affront to everything you stand for unless it was counter balanced with a film about Lembit Opik...

Where would you place notsoblue. I did actually think about adding him.

He's around as left as me I reclon > he just doesn't get backed into a as corner as easily or wound up as easily as me.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    id rather my eat me own arms than to watch a film about "that"....thank you very much!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

People I think that will enjoy it:
      JeremyRundle

JeremyRundle - now there's a name from the past. Is he still about or is he out shaving squirels?

Am I to take it that this is some sort of Blue movie?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey

Something like that.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    As I grew up in a mining community and remember the devastation of the destruction of the coalfields after the miners strike, do you think I will enjoy anything about the architect of the destruction of my community
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    What famous moment in Maggie Thatcher's career are you hoping to see captured on the silver screen

The demise....

That's all.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    As I grew up in a mining community and remember the devastation of the destruction of the coalfields after the miners strike, do you think I will enjoy anything about the architect of the destruction of my community
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Might be quite interesting, but I don't trust Hollywood to tell the truth and if they are painting her as some sort of hero (even if flawed) then I would be likely to spew into my popcorn bucket. Might get the DVD and watch it with a glass of champagne when she eventually pops her clogs.

On a related note, I have heard talk of a state funeral - this must not be allowed to happen!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861

i prefer "Pump Friction" or "Saving Ryan's Privates"
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    edited January 2012
    BigMat wrote:
    On a related note, I have heard talk of a state funeral - this must not be allowed to happen!

Oh, it must - I think the entire Guardian readership would explode, which would make it worthwhile.

Not really interested in films to be honest - I don't have the attention span. And, contrary to perception, I'm not so blue as to be a blind Maggie molester.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Oi - you missed me off the premature ejection list.

I'm going to watch it at least eight times in its first week (like my Scots mate who claimed to watch Braveheart at least every week). Best bit? The bit where she stamps Scargill's face into the ground whilst groping Reagan. Probably... :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    From the authorized biographer of Thatcher in the telegraph:
    [people watching the film] will... absorb a most powerful piece of propaganda for conservatism

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... asses.html
  • W1
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Unless you stand for spouting liberal principles but having shamelessly right wing financial objectives...... :wink:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    BigMat wrote:

Here, here!! Public holiday yes...so people can celebrate!

I remember the 80s and living under the cloud of my parents having their phone tapped and being followed all because my father as a union member and both parents active members of the labour party! I also remember going to South Wales during the Miners strike to take food and clothes packages to families there who were being starved to death.

The mining industry may have been dying, but she did the unforgivable, she stripped decent people of their dignity :evil:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Unless you stand for spouting liberal principles but having shamelessly right wing financial objectives...... :wink:

I'm intensely relaxed about getting filthy rich as long as I pay my taxes... :wink:
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I'm intensely relaxed about getting filthy rich as long as I pay my taxes... :wink:

Lunch is for wimps!

I'm sure you'll distribute it evenly, keeping nothing more than necessary for yourself :wink:
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    .....a film about Lembit Opik...

I suppose you could always forward it to the bits where he beds a cheeky girl, or the explanation for Sian Lloyds unfeasibly large mouth?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited January 2012
    I'm looking forward to seeing this actually. With half my family being Trini, the other being urban Mancunian, and having grown up in NL, I don't really have this engrained hatred for Thatcher that many people seem to have. I strongly disagree with her world view, but I still have a weird kind of respect for how she articulated it. Its more honest than recent tories. Her statement "Theres no such thing as society" is a good example of that. It has been so often misquoted by people who don't like her. I think it sums up the conservative way of thinking quite well, and is actually quite reasonable:
    They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation"

The Iron Lady

My main problem with this conservatism is that there will always be a significant proportion of the population that will not be able to look after themselves (through their own fault or not). There is no recognition of this, and I believe it is how these people are treated that is the measure of a society. That Thatcher didn't believe this personally isn't a problem for me, mainly because I think her position is a very widely held one. The country got what it wanted at the time, there was no dishonesty.

What I can't stand is politicians in general who misrepresent their beliefs and values, couching them in bland, election winning, populist rhetoric that doesn't survive even the lightest scrutiny. David Cameron and his Big Society is an example of this, and to a certain extent so was much of the New Labour movement.

So yeah, I'll watch the film, but I won't be foaming at the mouth. It looks like a pretty fair biopic, and whatever you think of her personally she was a pretty interesting character in British politics.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    From what I've read, the film is pretty apolitical - it's generally discussed as a film about her fall from PM to old age and dementia. I'd love to see it, but the chances of me getting to a cinema, much less staying awake for 90 odd minutes in a darkened room are vanishingly small.

Less foaming at the mouth, more dribbling on my shoulder.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Or in other Words a Blairite.

Oh how I miss him..,
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Lunch is for wimps!

I'm sure you'll distribute it evenly, keeping nothing more than necessary for yourself :wink:

I'll be throwing £50s out of my chauffeur driven car at you as a I drive past you on the bike, or something... ;)
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    rjsterry wrote:
    From what I've read, the film is pretty apolitical - it's generally discussed as a film about her fall from PM to old age and dementia. I'd love to see it, but the chances of me getting to a cinema, much less staying awake for 90 odd minutes in a darkened room are vanishingly small.

Sounds like you think the dementia came after she left office. Demonstrably untrue.
    Riding on 531
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Lunch is for wimps!

I'll be throwing £50s out of my chauffeur driven car at you as a I drive past you on the bike, or something... ;)
    Beats lighting your cigars with them doesn't it! I mean, I suppose it does.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Clarion wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Sounds like you think the dementia came after she left office. Demonstrably untrue.

To be serious for a moment, who knows? My grandmother suffered from dementia and in retrospect, we think it probably started a lot earlier than anyone realised - the general perception of older people being a bit more forgetful and eccentric hides a lot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    ^^+1^^
    Food Chain number = 4