Worst song vocals ever

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Just having this discussion in the office, and thought I'd share my choices, which I think are pretty unbeatable in their awfulness:

'Gypsy Woman' by Crystal Waters
Cranberries - whatever that godawful song was with Dolores O'Riordan honking away like a fool. (Aussie girls in particular seem to love it.)
'Freed from Desire' by Gala

On the sub's bench: Cher's vocoder - so much to answer for.

All female, dunno what that says, but a very strong line-up.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I love gypsy woman.

Oh and I like like the Gala record.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Anything that is a direct result of X-Factor. Mundane, middle of the road pop singers with average voices and nothing to say.

A good vocal doesn't always mean a good voice however, see Liam Gallagher and Mick Jagger.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Mr Blobby. I have no idea how he got that recording contract.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Brick in the wall, Pink Floyd...
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 169
    Im serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.

I'm not sure it can get much worse than that really.
  • Embrace/Snow Patrol. Lacklustre, boring for the most part.

Noel Gallaghers. Station for instance becomes STAY-SHE-AN and he always manages to fit atleast one of these into a song.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Errorist wrote:
    Im serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.

I'm not sure it can get much worse than that really.

Confusing lyrics with vocals but your point is well made.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lostboysaint
    Anything that is a direct result of X-Factor. Mundane, middle of the road pop singers with average voices and nothing to say.

A good vocal doesn't always mean a good voice however, see Liam Gallagher and Mick Jagger.

That pretty much sums it up.

Although there is a special place in my loathing for Rod Stewart and Bryan Ferry. Oh and that nasal geordie twat Mark Knopfler.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Shouty vocalists: I cant stand Beverly Knight, as she sings at top volume all the time, makes my ears hurt after 30 secs. So any of hers. I also cant stand Manic Street Preachers for the same reason, and his voice isn't so good so why write songs that keep you just on the wrong side of what you can deliver?

Lyrics, though. Absolute Radio are playing Mumford Brothers and their lyrics are awful....
  • LeicesterLad
    Shouty vocalists: I cant stand Beverly Knight, as she sings at top volume all the time, makes my ears hurt after 30 secs. So any of hers. I also cant stand Manic Street Preachers for the same reason, and his voice isn't so good so why write songs that keep you just on the wrong side of what you can deliver?

Lyrics, though. Absolute Radio are playing Mumford Brothers and their lyrics are awful....

Great songs, but yes, sh*t vocals. That band hasn't been the same since Richie dissapeared.
  • lostboysaint
    Shouty vocalists: I cant stand Beverly Knight, as she sings at top volume all the time, makes my ears hurt after 30 secs. So any of hers. I also cant stand Manic Street Preachers for the same reason, and his voice isn't so good so why write songs that keep you just on the wrong side of what you can deliver?

Great songs, but yes, sh*t vocals. That band hasn't been the same since Richie dissapeared.

Oooooh, we're getting into Bob Dylan territory now!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • LeicesterLad

Thats the same But different, Dylans vocals are like sh*t, but a Dylan song wouldn't be a Dylan if it didnt have him dribbling and squarking all over it.
  • LeicesterLad
    GiantMike wrote:
    Mr Blobby. I have no idea how he got that recording contract.

Easy, it was Cher in a costume. (deffinately sounded like her 'I have to run my vocals through a computer and add a weird electronic twang on everything to disguise the fact that ive had so many face lifts i can no longer move my mouth enough to sing properly' vocals)
  • lostboysaint

Thats the same But different, Dylans vocals are like sh*t, but a Dylan song wouldn't be a Dylan if it didnt have him dribbling and squarking all over it.

Couldn't agree less. Dylan's songs are (generally) much better when done by others!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limits.

I win
  • LeicesterLad

Couldn't agree less. Dylan's songs are (generally) much better when done by others!

Hmm, now you mention it, there are some Epic Dylan covers...
  • LeicesterLad
    APIII wrote:
    No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no there's no limits.

I win

You would have if this thread was about Lyrics. :wink:
  • lostboysaint

Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    A Whole New World by Peter Andre and Jordan. Particularly the latter one.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Anything from the last 10 years inc, T-Pain -Kanye -Dizzee - NDubz (Tulisa is tidy though) - Rebecca Black and especially Adele
  • LeicesterLad
    Anything from the last 10 years inc, T-Pain -Kanye -Dizzee - NDubz (Tulisa is tidy though) - Rebecca Black and especially Adele

Really? :shock:

Love her or Hate her, you cannot deny the talent.
  • ELBOW
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265

Really? :shock:

Love her or Hate her, you cannot deny the talent.

She is like,finger nails on a chalkboard to me
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    How about Dick A Dum Dum?? :shock:

http://youtu.be/5OUiuVNWxYA
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723

Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

...is the only one that's better than the original.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Any ironic "can't be bothered" indie vocalist who spoils otherwise decent music. Arcade Fire's "Tunnels", for example.

British singers who sing in fake American accents. Step forward Roger Daltrey, Mick Jagger, Elvis Costello et al.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Shouty vocalists: I cant stand Beverly Knight, as she sings at top volume all the time, makes my ears hurt after 30 secs. So any of hers..

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat ! OK she is loud - but she does loud so well.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Shakira's song Whenever/Forever - "Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you dont confuse them with mountains"

Anything by the Huge Computer = Adell :D - radio have played her to death and that annoying olly murs and recent Rhianna songs. Thanks to Simon Cowell the record the charts are awash with S**te now.
  • LeicesterLad
    johnfinch wrote:
    Any ironic "can't be bothered" indie vocalist who spoils otherwise decent music. Arcade Fire's "Tunnels", for example.

British singers who sing in fake American accents. Step forward Roger Daltrey, Mick Jagger, Elvis Costello et al.

Costello in general. Where is the attraction with him? :|
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    For vocals, anything by Macey Gray or Bjork

For lyrics, that Des'ree song "Life" - I don't want to see a ghost, It's the sight that I fear most I'd rather have a piece of toast And watch the evening news. WTF?