2»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben can I come live on the uber simple planet you live on. Pleeeeze.

Sorry if my post seems rude, I used to think like that. Alcoholics just needed to stop drinking, smokers stop smoking, fat people just stop eating as much. But it is rarely that simple for people even when there is no actual physical addiction causing people to crave that which is no good for them.

As davis says, it is that simple. But then it comes down to will power... if looking in the mirror and realising you're killing yourself isn't enough to give the will power a boost, then nothing will help.
    afaik it's usually people realising they are killing themselves that motivates them to go and seek help to change, be that apply for a weight loss TV show or get off their butt and do something themselves.

But often they still need support once they get to that step. Be that from a supportive loved one or a team of professionals.

And even then, some "can't be bothered eugh".

I'm well aware I'm coming across as not very empathetic or supportive (nothing could be further from the truth), but I don't have any time for people who complain and then a) don't do anything about it or b) throw help back in the samaritan's face.
    Neither do I really :wink:

But I do realise how hard it can be for some people to do that something about it. But when they complain yet don't even try :roll:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE - that website is directing me to sign up for an account with Film Lush.
    Is that right?

I'm new to this malarkey.

That site is a bit weird, but it does work and you don't have to sign up for any accounts. I even got my brother in Florida to try it yesterday and he couldn't believe it. I thought the site might be Europe or Britain only, but it worked all the way over in the U Ess of A too.

To get it going:
    1) Go to the homepage and search for the programme you want to watch and click on the link for the series (or click the link I sent)
    2) From the list of episodes, click on the one you want to watch
    3) This clicks-through to a page with a list of links to other sites that actually host what you want to watch*
    4) Click one of the links and it opens a new tab with a "Click here to play" button in the middle of the screen and a load of legal stuff on the bottom.
    5) You are now on a different site and they all do things a bit differently, but the format generally the same. You click a button, wait about 5 seconds and then the video is ready to play.

The different links often link to the same video, but sometimes I check out different hosts to see if there are better ones. For example when I was watching Mad Men, the links were DVD rips but during one series, the links became TV recordings (perfect quality, but with station logos in the top corner).

I generally use either Daclips or Novamov but they all have good quality recordings and NO ADVERTS.

Dunno how they make their money, don't really care, but I've never signed up for anything or 'Liked' anything on Facebook.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I think this thread has rather gone off topic from a genuinly enthusiastic welcome return of some generally uplifting telly via whether the overwieght should be helped to loose weight to how to watch pirate internet TV.

Let's hope all will be tuning in next week.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    It's like a Sebald monologue. Formless, transient but ultimately human.

Cheers EKE. Want to watch re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond. Don't know where else to catch them.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Ever wanted to watch the pilot of the original Knight Rider to find out how Michael Long became Michael Knight? Well this is the only place I know to do it!

I have a question about The Biggest Loser programme.
    I assume you win by losing the most weight, that the programme makers have professionals (dieticians/personal trainers/psychologists) to help the contestants to lose the extra weight and that contestants get kicked off during the series if they don't lose enough, so my question is: is it right to kick people off a weight loss programme if they don't lose enough weight considering they are probably the ones who need the help the most?

I also imagine that the fatties who get kicked off (especially whoever comes 2nd) will just want to comfort eat (unless the psycologist has done their job very well).

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Ever wanted to watch the pilot of the original Knight Rider to find out how Michael Long became Michael Knight? Well this is the only place I know to do it!

I assume you win by losing the most weight, that the programme makers have professionals (dieticians/personal trainers/psychologists) to help the contestants to lose the extra weight and that contestants get kicked off during the series if they don't lose enough, so my question is: is it right to kick people off a weight loss programme if they don't lose enough weight considering they are probably the ones who need the help the most?

I also imagine that the fatties who get kicked off (especially whoever comes 2nd) will just want to comfort eat (unless the psycologist has done their job very well).

It means they can do all that inane "how much do you want it?" chat, like masterchef...

Hmm.. Maybe there's a link there.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    offering people the support of nutritionists and trainers and I believe counsellors to help them loose weight then just taking that off them is just cruel.

Seriously. If you need all that to lose weight, then you're a hopeless cause.

Step 1 = Having concerns about being overweight.
    Step 2 = Being bothered to do something about it (other than whinging in Facebook status updates).
    Step 3 = Remembering that kcal out > kcal in = weight loss.
    Step 4 = Deciding whether to reduce kcal in, increase kcal out or both.
    Step 5 = Adopting this as a lifestyle and not just some faddy 3month "diet"

Sorry if all that sounds harsh, but being overweight is one thing that a lot of people lament about while not actually trying to do anything about it.

Plenty of folk have lost weight without the help of nutritionists, personal trainers and counsellors.

EDIT: and now I look like the wanker because I cross-posted with anonymousblackfg. Sad news about Ange, but my points still stand. These types of shows are no good for anyone in the long run.

You do sound harsh because in among those five steps there are a whole host of other factors that just muddy the water a little: job, family, other responsibilities, cultural factors, health factors. Not everyone who is fat and doesnt or cant lose weight is lazy and lacking in will power.

Oh and in case you didnt know it was one of the personal trainers who killed themselves, not one of the contestants so I dont think you're fat and lazy diatribe ;-) made you seem heartless in this respect!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

It means they can do all that inane "how much do you want it?" chat, like masterchef...

Hmm.. Maybe there's a link there.

Asking a fattie "how much do you want it?" is rhetorical, I presume, if you are talking about cake?

I've had an idea:
    A treadmill, rowing machine or exercise bike on a track in the gym. The machine is at one end of the track and a cake is at the other. The machine moves toward the cake when in use and when at the end of the track the user gets to eat the cake. Some system of gearing would be needed so that, for example, cycling 1 mile on the exercise bike moves the whole bike forward by 1 metre (don't you just love mixing units?) along the 10 metre track. Cycle 10 miles and you can have a cake!
    Obviously you would need to make sure that the cake is less calorific than the exercise needed to get to it, but it will incentivise the user.
    You could even have different levels of cake and different gearing for the track, so, someone new to the E.K.E.xercizer™ (brands always shoehorn in a 'Z' where possible) might get a slice of double chocolate gateau for cycling 1 mile whereas a one of the more experienced E.K.E.xernauts gets a small jam doughnut for doing 10 miles.
    They could even wear hats (like belts in martial arts) to show how far along the training route they are. A chocolate gateau hat would equate to a white belt (complete novice/just starting) all the way up to a rice cake hat equating to a black belt (expert).

Has anyone got the number for the Patent Office?

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Paulie W wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    offering people the support of nutritionists and trainers and I believe counsellors to help them loose weight then just taking that off them is just cruel.

Seriously. If you need all that to lose weight, then you're a hopeless cause.

Step 1 = Having concerns about being overweight.
    Step 2 = Being bothered to do something about it (other than whinging in Facebook status updates).
    Step 3 = Remembering that kcal out > kcal in = weight loss.
    Step 4 = Deciding whether to reduce kcal in, increase kcal out or both.
    Step 5 = Adopting this as a lifestyle and not just some faddy 3month "diet"

Sorry if all that sounds harsh, but being overweight is one thing that a lot of people lament about while not actually trying to do anything about it.

Plenty of folk have lost weight without the help of nutritionists, personal trainers and counsellors.

EDIT: and now I look like the wanker because I cross-posted with anonymousblackfg. Sad news about Ange, but my points still stand. These types of shows are no good for anyone in the long run.

You do sound harsh because in among those five steps there are a whole host of other factors that just muddy the water a little: job, family, other responsibilities, cultural factors, health factors. Not everyone who is fat and doesnt or cant lose weight is lazy and lacking in will power.

Oh and in case you didnt know it was one of the personal trainers who killed themselves, not one of the contestants so I dont think you're fat and lazy diatribe ;-) made you seem heartless in this respect!

I know who Angie Dowds was, thanks.

My "fat and lazy diatribe"? Please! You're(sic) posts in the Stephen Lawrence thread are exemplary... what happened?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Your post p!ssed me off because it appeared ill-informed and reactionary. I have seen people who are morbidly obese (and who hate the fact they are so fat) but struggle to address that because of their life situation and not because they are lazy or lack will-power. One of my neighbours is a huge man - the kind of size that draws people's attention and sometimes mockery. When you talk to him you recognise how unhappy he is. You would argue that he himself has the power to change how he looks and feels but he is a 24 hour carer for his two elderly and infirm parents which completely dominates his life practically and emotionally. To suggest that he simply needs to eat less and exercise more and to keep that up over a period of time is to ignore the practical limitations he is faced with and the emotional battle he has to deal with not to use food as one of the very few comforts in a very diificult life.

This might be an extreme example but I dont think my neighbour's problems are unusual - being able to find both the physical and mental/emotional space to lose weight is an issue for a lot of overweight people.