The Biggest Loser 2012

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Right, it's back, the best reality TV out there.

Anyone else catch that beardy nerd get binned for making zero effort in the first challenge while a cheeky reprieve was given to his partner?

My money's on him or the yellow bird once they're teamed up together.

Also bit of a shocker about Ange, very sad actually.
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Loser?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    had one eye on it but was playing PSP at the same time.

I do love it when the guys with the attitude problem get binned!

Whats the chat with Ange? because of her breaking the rules last year?

I tried to watch Fat Fighters but looked beyond cack.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well. I now know that one person cares.
    Anyone inclined to make that two?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    tbh of all the shows of that ilk that one to me just sounds evil. Didn't loose as much as the other contestants...GTFO.

I hope they get some kind of counselling or post show help. Because offering people the support of nutritionists and trainers and I believe counsellors to help them loose weight then just taking that off them is just cruel.
  • suzyb wrote:
    tbh of all the shows of that ilk that one to me just sounds evil. Didn't loose as much as the other contestants...GTFO.

I hope they get some kind of counselling or post show help. Because offering people the support of nutritionists and trainers and I believe counsellors to help them loose weight then just taking that off them is just cruel.

They get some help and gym membership post show, they can still win if they come back at the end after working on their weight back at home. I'm not sure it's the full care/help they require though.

As for Ange, she committed suicide a couple of months ago, very sad.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • clarkey cat
    bloody hell - I didnt know that. Thats really shocking.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    suzyb wrote:
    offering people the support of nutritionists and trainers and I believe counsellors to help them loose weight then just taking that off them is just cruel.

Seriously. If you need all that to lose weight, then you're a hopeless cause.

Step 1 = Having concerns about being overweight.
    Step 2 = Being bothered to do something about it (other than whinging in Facebook status updates).
    Step 3 = Remembering that kcal out > kcal in = weight loss.
    Step 4 = Deciding whether to reduce kcal in, increase kcal out or both.
    Step 5 = Adopting this as a lifestyle and not just some faddy 3month "diet"

Sorry if all that sounds harsh, but being overweight is one thing that a lot of people lament about while not actually trying to do anything about it.

Plenty of folk have lost weight without the help of nutritionists, personal trainers and counsellors.

EDIT: and now I look like the wanker because I cross-posted with anonymousblackfg. Sad news about Ange, but my points still stand. These types of shows are no good for anyone in the long run.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • clarkey cat
    Jesus... have a heart.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hate these programmes on so many different levels, so, I'm out!
    I miss the good old days when programmes had writers, scripts, actors etc. This 'reality' bullocks is just, well, bullocks.

30 years later things like The Professionals, Upstairs Downstairs etc are being repeated but stuff like this (hopefully) won't.
    Rubbish like this should have been binned before ever making it to the screen.

And should never be a thread on here!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • clarkey cat
    Bet you watch TOWIE though.
  • EKE_38BPM
    No!
    I know you are talking about that Essex programme, but I've never watched it. Why would I watch rubbish like that when things like The Wire and Mad Men are streamable here?

• clarkey cat
    Ha - now I KNOW you are lying about reality TV.

EVERYONE watches TOWIE.

Mad Men and The Wire are okay though. Not as good as Soldier Soldier, but they're okay.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Ha - now I KNOW you are lying about reality TV.

EVERYONE watches TOWIE.

Mad Men and The Wire are okay though. Not as good as Soldier Soldier, but they're okay.

Errr what's 'TOWIE'....honestly what it is :?: I've never heard of it.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    EVERYONE watches TOWIE.

As it happens, I don't know anyone who does. That or they've been wise enough never to admit it in my presence. Nor the Chelsea one. My wife used to watch Big Brother, and wife & kids do watch I'm a (D list) Celebrity, but not Essex or Chelsea.

I do occasionally watch The Biggest Loser, though it tends to be the US show. I don't think I've seen the UK one.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • clarkey cat
    all your friends are lying to you.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    And this is why I do not own a television set. £150 a year for this? Forget it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

:cry:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Agent57 wrote:

:cry:

Yeah, those people are not your friends. They all laugh at you behind your back and call you stupid.

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sounds like utter dross. I'll not be watching it ta
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    Ben can I come live on the uber simple planet you live on. Pleeeeze.

Sorry if my post seems rude, I used to think like that. Alcoholics just needed to stop drinking, smokers stop smoking, fat people just stop eating as much. But it is rarely that simple for people even when there is no actual physical addiction causing people to crave that which is no good for them.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It is simple. It's just not easy. The two are in no way mutually exclusive.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • suzyb
    davis wrote:
    It is simple. It's just not easy. The two are in no way mutually exclusive.
    Good point, never thought of it that way when I saw the numbered list :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    No!
    I know you are talking about that Essex programme, but I've never watched it. Why would I watch rubbish like that when things like The Wire and Mad Men are streamable here?

The Killing.

4 Episodes into series one

(The original Danish one obviously).

SO good.

Currently, I'd say it's getting as good as the Wire on the interest/entertainment/obsession scale (as opposed to worthy lefty stuff).
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    No!

The Killing.

4 Episodes into series one

(The original Danish one obviously).

SO good.

Currently, I'd say it's getting as good as the Wire on the interest/entertainment/obsession scale (as opposed to worthy lefty stuff).

Cheers Rick. I've heard very good things about it. I shall be watching it on my new 2nd favourite website (after Bikeradar, natch).

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

I confess to watching the first series of Big Brother :oops:

Since that, I refuse to watch ANY reality TV shows.

Or shows that have voting........

Pretty much rules out most of TV.

Movies, sport & Mrs Browns Boys. Pleasantly surprised by Sherlock. In more ways than I thought :wink:
    I can't commit to long series as I usually come up with something better to do before the end.
    The rest can come and go.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • clarkey cat
    EKE - that website is directing me to sign up for an account with Film Lush.
    Is that right?

I'm new to this malarkey.
  • Ben6899
    suzyb wrote:

Sorry if my post seems rude, I used to think like that. Alcoholics just needed to stop drinking, smokers stop smoking, fat people just stop eating as much. But it is rarely that simple for people even when there is no actual physical addiction causing people to crave that which is no good for them.

As davis says, it is that simple. But then it comes down to will power... if looking in the mirror and realising you're killing yourself isn't enough to give the will power a boost, then nothing will help.

We evolved to this:
    running+tribesmen.jpg

And now some of us are devolving to this:
    magnuson-fat-family.jpg
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • suzyb
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

As davis says, it is that simple. But then it comes down to will power... if looking in the mirror and realising you're killing yourself isn't enough to give the will power a boost, then nothing will help.
    afaik it's usually people realising they are killing themselves that motivates them to go and seek help to change, be that apply for a weight loss TV show or get off their butt and do something themselves.

But often they still need support once they get to that step. Be that from a supportive loved one or a team of professionals.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Killing
    Just started this too and finished ep4 last night. Superb TV.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Ben6899
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

afaik it's usually people realising they are killing themselves that motivates them to go and seek help to change, be that apply for a weight loss TV show or get off their butt and do something themselves.

But often they still need support once they get to that step. Be that from a supportive loved one or a team of professionals.

And even then, some "can't be bothered eugh".

I'm well aware I'm coming across as not very empathetic or supportive (nothing could be further from the truth), but I don't have any time for people who complain and then a) don't do anything about it or b) throw help back in the samaritan's face.
    Ben