All right, own up

2»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    On the fixed trackstanding is pretty easy, freewheel bikes not so much. Love a good trackstand
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Twostage wrote:
    I can't trackstand but I can creep forward almost imperceptibly waiting for the green light so I don't have to unclip. Did it twice this morning at two close together lights. A pedestrian was watching and I can't decide if he was impressed or praying for me to fall off. Actually I think I can decide.

LiT would not be impressed with the creeping forward approach.
    If you have a freewheel, use the camber of the road as the hill to pedal up and roll back down on. I learned to trackstand on a SS using this technique in preparation for moving to a fixie.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Twostage wrote:
    I can't trackstand but I can creep forward almost imperceptibly waiting for the green light so I don't have to unclip. Did it twice this morning at two close together lights. A pedestrian was watching and I can't decide if he was impressed or praying for me to fall off. Actually I think I can decide.

Should this be a concern??...
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Rolf F wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:
    My reasoning for doing the TS is to get away quicker from lights and being behind others trying to clip in while cars try and barge through can be a nightmare.

You mean less glacially slow - there's nothing quick about a SS away from the lights. I could service my hub bearings, replace my bar tape, clip in and set off and I'd still be across the junction before the average SS had made it half way :wink:

Actually I meant what I said, I ride an MTB, with gears :lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I do it (very badly) because I'm too lazy to clip back in again... I get my comeuppance every time though, as I eventually spaz out and have to put a foot down, which instantly turns the light green.

Grrr.
  • rick_chasey
    notsoblue wrote:
    I do it (very badly) because I'm too lazy to clip back in again... I get my comeuppance every time though, as I eventually spaz out and have to put a foot down, which instantly turns the light green.

Grrr.

Noted.

;)
  • I rarely bother, flats so I just stand a stride the bike and when lights are green push off onto one pedal and thus set off.

I do trackstand if waiting for a gap in traffic etc.

To be fair most bikers set off slowly, the shopping bike lot, because they are just plain slow. the trackstanders because well they are so busy trackstanding, and the more serious cyclist because they need to clip in.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I cycle around in tiny circles at the lights while waiting for them to change. Its no biggy - and looks cool!
  • Trackstanding in front of traffic looks too dangerous to me. I prefer to hop on top of some convenient street furniture to get out of the way :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Twostage wrote:

Should this be a concern??...
    Yes, if you agrevate her, she might get her mum or brother(s)to take you out with a strafing run.
    Never p!ss off someone with access to a fighter plane!

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    FG trackstands are neither cool anymore or difficult, freewheel on the other hand = super cool and extra super duper cool if you manage it on a boris bike, do not underestimate how difficult that is and coming to a slow stop and holding it for 30 sec doesnt count.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    My trackstands are motionless. I'm basically a statue. Sometimes I sit down.

That has just made me spit drink over my computer!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxZtTAP9t0

YO ain't even needing to be cool to do this shit. ;)

This is a video from my local area, I ride these roads as part of my commute to work. Sadly I've not bumped into this awesome looking dude trackstanding at lights whilst awesome disco sex music plays in the background...
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • EKE_38BPM
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxZtTAP9t0

YO ain't even needing to be cool to do this shoot. ;)

This is a video from my local area, I ride these roads as part of my commute to work. Sadly I've not bumped into this awesome looking dude trackstanding at lights whilst awesome disco sex music plays in the background...

For the first few seconds I thought that the trackstander was deliberately looking crap and that after a few seconds the intense look of concentration would clear, the wobbling would stop and he'd turn out to be the next Danny Macaskill.

I was so very wrong. Why would you bother getting someone to record you doing that and then uploading it to Youtube? I assume that the cyclist has seen videos of good trackstands so knows what to aim for, he's just coming up a bit short in that video.

• medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I remember the first track stand I did on the first day I got my clipless pedals. It wasn't planned. And it lasted 3 seconds vertically, then about 20 horizontally.
  • rick_chasey
    FYI, every trackstand I've ever seen on my commute looks like the trackstand in the video.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Theres a few riders on the embankment that are awesome trackstanders. They just ride up to the line and its like they're frozen in time. They seem to be on fixed gears too, must be easier on them because you can rock the bike back?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    he actually falls off in one of those trackstands but its edited out...LOL.

I remember going up town on the Vespa with the missus on the back and we were parked next to a guy doing an awesome trackstand. Forgetting I was (i) on a Vespa and not in a car, and (ii) wearing an open-faced helmet and not in an enclosed vehicle I said to my wife "Look at that fucking awesome trackstand. That is so cool. I wish I could do that"

And the guy just turned to me, gave me a winning smile and breathed 'thanks' to me while winking at the wife.

:oops:
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Flol!

On the Brompton it's all a out tracksitting, it's a work in progress!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    he actually falls off in one of those trackstands but its edited out...LOL.

I remember going up town on the Vespa with the missus on the back and we were parked next to a guy doing an awesome trackstand. Forgetting I was (i) on a Vespa and not in a car, and (ii) wearing an open-faced helmet and not in an enclosed vehicle I said to my wife "Look at that ******* awesome trackstand. That is so cool. I wish I could do that"

And the guy just turned to me, gave me a winning smile and breathed 'thanks' to me while winking at the wife.

:oops:

If he'd then out sprinted you to 30mph then you may as well have just handed your wife over :lol:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I find easier than getting in my fairly new sl spd's. I find I'm actually slower from the lights when track standing.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Rolf F wrote:
    Soul Boy wrote:
    My reasoning for doing the TS is to get away quicker from lights and being behind others trying to clip in while cars try and barge through can be a nightmare.

You mean less glacially slow - there's nothing quick about a SS away from the lights. I could service my hub bearings, replace my bar tape, clip in and set off and I'd still be across the junction before the average SS had made it half way :wink:

If I was on said SS, you'd have time to service two bikes etc :lol::lol: Sorry, I have absolutely no sense of embarrassment about my glacial take-off from lights. Too old to care :D

PS: I don't trackstand. Rolling slowly to a stop is as good as it gets for me.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I find easier than getting in my fairly new sl spd's. I find I'm actually slower from the lights when track standing.

I don't understand that.
    When trackstanding, your feet should be in the nearly perfect position to apply all of your awesome instantly rather than clipping in (usually done at the 6 o'clock position) and then not being able to apply all of your awesome for at least a quarter pedal revolution.
    No wobbling around as you clip in either.

• I think I concentrate too much on staying up rather than pouncing on the gr of green. Also I find it easier in too high a gear and wind up slowly, weight usually wrong in fact I should just stop doing it! I just thought I looked cool.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I don't trackstand at red lights because red lights don't apply to me.
    How come nobody has said this yet?
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    The clue is in the name TRACKstand. Used when on the track ready to go. It simply looks like a 5 year old trying to emulate their hero done outside that environment (oh, and fashion of course). Sheep. Baaaah.
    Peter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    DF33 wrote:
    The clue is in the name TRACKstand. Used when on the track ready to go. It simply looks like a 5 year old trying to emulate their hero done outside that environment (oh, and fashion of course). Sheep. Baaaah.
    Rubbish, there are more sheep on mountains, get back to the Crud Catchers forum.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo