All right, own up

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Who of you does those ridiculously irritating trackstands at traffic lights?

If I catch any of you doing it I'm giving you a gentle nudge.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    me! it makes me look cool

women want me an men want to be like me

i see you have those green eyes of envy back on......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    Cool?

How on earth is wobbling about, jerking your knees about like some rubbish circus act in front of a load of people who are chilling cool?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    No, I'm about as coordinated as a drunk penguin and I would just look like a gangly tw@t as I lie on the floor kicking my legs trying to unclip after the inevitable happened.
  • mudcow007
    Cool?

How on earth is wobbling about, jerking your knees about like some rubbish circus act in front of a load of people who are chilling cool?

ahh obviously your not cool enough to understand it

i generally do teeny tiny bunny hops to keep my balance, or rock the bike forward n backwards

too cool for school me
  • My trackstands are motionless. I'm basically a statue. Sometimes I sit down.
    <a>road</a>
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I don't trackstand.

It's nothing to do with the fact that I can't trackstand.
    It's a little bit entirely to do with that actually.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    My trackstands are motionless. I'm basically a statue. Sometimes I sit down.
    <swoons> :oops:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Jealousy is an ugly thing, unlike the trackstands I do, which are a thing of beauty.

Hopefully by this time next year I will be able to cycle up to a set of lights, slam on the front (and only) brake when my front wheel is at the stop line and do an endo (or stoppie if that is what you call them). While my rear wheel is in the air I will turn my pedals to the horizontal so that when I return to two wheels my pedals are in the correct position to go straight into a trackstand.

Other trackstanding skills I'd like to have are to be able to trackstand with either foot forward and the fabled seated trackstand. I once saw a roadie do a perfect seated trackstand at a set of lights.
    Very impressive considering he wasn't on a fixie and possibly enough to make Rick explode with envy!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • dhope wrote:
    I don't trackstand.

It's nothing to do with the fact that I can't trackstand.
    It's a little bit entirely to do with that actually.
    +1....

It's everything to do with the fact that I can't trackstand.
    I can't do the holding on the railings/lamppost/other street furniture and staying clipped in bit either.

It always ends in tears icon_redface.gif
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mudcow007
    the best way to learn to track stand is on a slight hill, roll up to the hill an slowly stop, then roll the bike forwards an backwards to get your balance

simples!

the less effort it looks like your putting in, the cooler you are
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    mudcow007 wrote:
    the less effort it looks like your putting in, the cooler you are

Just like SCR.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Me too, and sat down, on my skinny tyred MTB.

I don't view it as cool*, just gets me away from the lights quicker

*ok I do :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    There's only one cool track-stand I've seen.

This was a guy who did it with so little effort, he had time to casually pull his phone out of his pocket and take a call.

Never seen someone so smooth.

However, lycra + trackstand = douche.

Also, takes up too much space. And why do it in front of everyone?? They always barge their way through to the front so they can poke their ass up in my face.

I can trackstand. Do I chose to do it ever? No. Unless you're on the track it's pointless.
  • Trackstands? Easy peasy.

[wonders] will I still be able to do them when I remove my stabilisers? :? [/wonders]
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Soul Boy
    Also, takes up too much space. And why do it in front of everyone?? They always barge their way through to the front so they can poke their ass up in my face.

I can trackstand. Do I chose to do it ever? No. Unless you're on the track it's pointless.

I don't think I take up additional space, I remain fairly still. I don't barge to the front, and being sat down I'm not poking my ass in anyones face, but it is good to be in front. My reasoning for doing the TS is to get away quicker from lights and being behind others trying to clip in while cars try and barge through can be a nightmare. Oh and its cool, did someone mention that? :wink: I'm not the quickest between lights.

I was a some lights once, sat doing a trackstand. A courier pulls up next to me, does the same. Then he takes a hand off, I casually adjust the right sleeve of my jacket with my left hand. He then takes a second hand off* :evil:

*He was riding fixed, so technically cheating with this last move.
  • rick_chasey
    I don't understand how it's cool. You look like a weirdo keeno.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Trackstanding with no hands is an impressive feat indeed!
  • rick_chasey
    Given all the big balled chat about trackstands - I say, you trackstand - you go up the SCR foodchain by one.
  • Soul Boy
    edited January 2012

Possibly :lol: , said more in jest.

It does get me away from lights quickly and out of the melee of other cyclists trying to clip in and cars trying to squeeze past. Makes me feel safer. Sorry if that upsets you.....

No big balled chat, you asked :roll: I don't SCR, but will take the downgrade.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Its all very cool barging to the front to do your trackstand "so that I've got a quick getaway/everyone can look at me", but then getting smoked before you complete crossing the junction on the green light just makes you a douche :P
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Soul Boy wrote:

Possibly :lol: , said more in jest.

It does get me away from lights quickly and out of the melee of other cyclists trying to clip in and cars trying to squeeze past. Makes me feel safer. Sorry if that upsets you.....

So you should be.

I may give off an air of cool whilst pedalling, but I'm very irritable on the bike.

Ok, I'm very irritable. :P

It's more I know plenty of people think it's the t!ts, and I totally think they are t!ts. That's all :P
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Bizarrely I have to agree with Rick on this one :-). Mainly because I can't do them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bizarrely I have to agree with Rick on this one :-). Mainly because I can't do them.

High 5!
  • Stevo_666
    What's that saying about keeping the conversation away from politics and religion? Which might be needed if I show my face at the Morpeth ;-) Anyhow Happy New Year and good luck with the job hunting...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I must confess I do trackstand at lights to save unclipping but only if there is no railing or lampost to lean on .
    I have also ended up sprawled on the floor still clipped in ........much to the amusement of the bus load of kids behind me :oops:
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's that saying about keeping the conversation away from politics and religion? Which might be needed if I show my face at the Morpeth ;-) Anyhow Happy New Year and good luck with the job hunting...

I'm more civil in real life.

Honest.
  • Stevo_666
    I'm more civil in real life.

Honest.
    Me too :-)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Soul Boy wrote:
    My reasoning for doing the TS is to get away quicker from lights and being behind others trying to clip in while cars try and barge through can be a nightmare.

You mean less glacially slow - there's nothing quick about a SS away from the lights. I could service my hub bearings, replace my bar tape, clip in and set off and I'd still be across the junction before the average SS had made it half way :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    Trackstands are not cool anymore. I combine them with planking.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I can't trackstand but I can creep forward almost imperceptibly waiting for the green light so I don't have to unclip. Did it twice this morning at two close together lights. A pedestrian was watching and I can't decide if he was impressed or praying for me to fall off. Actually I think I can decide.