Best sub £200 wheels

2»

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    styxd wrote:
    Handbuilt for sure.

Have a look on ebay, theres plenty of sets of light road hubs from Taiwan, these weigh in at around 275g per pair and cost about £75. Get a wheel builder to build them onto some Velocity Aerohead rims with perhaps a 28/24 spoke count and you should get a light set of wheels for around your budget.

But will the hubs run as well (or last as long) as Shimano 105 or Campag Veloce? Also, for durabilty I'd stick with 32 spoke unless you only ride on well kept roads and/or are very light build.

Ring Fred Williams in Wolverhampton - they should be able to sort you out a good set at a reasonable price
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    These are the hubs I mentioned earlier: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-light-6 ... 2eb714be1e

I dont see why they wouldnt last along time, I admit the bearings that come with them are probably not a great quality, but once they wear out just replace them with some higher quality cartridge bearings.

28/24 spoke is fine unless you're either a proper fat knacker who likes to mash the pedals on climbs, or you want to do some touring. Just make sure they're built buy a good wheel builder.
  • Tregolwyn wrote:
    Harry Rowlands is one of the best but try a search here there will be other suggestions.

I'll try that then I think. Is there any way you can try a pair out first? If I went for of the shelf wheels do bike shops usually have a pair knocking around for testers?
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Funnily enough I am also looking for reasonable priced wheels, got a number of quotes on 105/Open Pro handbuilts as I'm a chunky monkey so want something that won't break too easy

Weight is around 1950g without skewers, so comparable with Aksiums, et al. LBS recommended Aksiums, but am not sure, think more spokes would be better.

Have seen 105/OP at £165 including tyres - Dave Hinde - sounds like a bargain to me

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Slow Downcp
    SecretSam wrote:
    Funnily enough I am also looking for reasonable priced wheels, got a number of quotes on 105/Open Pro handbuilts as I'm a chunky monkey so want something that won't break too easy

Weight is around 1950g without skewers, so comparable with Aksiums, et al. LBS recommended Aksiums, but am not sure, think more spokes would be better.

Have seen 105/OP at £165 including tyres - Dave Hinde - sounds like a bargain to me

Nothing from Dave Hinde is a bargain - if you seriously don't know why Google his name!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • SecretSam wrote:

Nothing from Dave Hinde is a bargain - if you seriously don't know why Google his name!

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Can you stretch to about £250

If so, if it hasnt been mentioned, Planet X have Vision Trimax for £249 (usually double that), which seem to get good reviews. Debating them myself.
  • SecretSam wrote:

Why is nothing from Dave Hinde a bargain? Not very good? Or just expensive?.....I seriously need to start reading up on these things.
  • Slow Downcp
    SecretSam wrote:

Why is nothing from Dave Hinde a bargain? Not very good? Or just expensive?.....I seriously need to start reading up on these things.

There are MANY threads about Dave Hinde - if you Google his name, umpteen pages of disatisfied customers views will be seen
  • Hahaaaaaa just googled his name and the first thing that came up was 'Dave Hinde, trading standards' and "I've been Dave Hinded!"

Its amazing...I browsed for about 5 minutes and NOT ONE said anything good about thier experience with them.
  • SecretSam wrote:

There are MANY threads about Dave Hinde - if you Google his name, umpteen pages of disatisfied customers views will be seen

Oh and thanks for the fore warning! Could of been a nightmare.