Best sub £200 wheels

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Thinking of purchasing some wheels, only have £200, wondering which way to go.

Could be more expensive new priced wheels but could realistically rooted out for about 200?
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• what are you looking for? aero, lightness, strength?

I have some Mavic aksiums and am really impressed, come well under budget and are sub 1800g, i couldn't find any better /lighter for the price when i was looking...
  • Well I don't race or anything like that so weight isn't a HUGE issue but obviously weight is always an issue (if you get my meaning)

Durability is important aswell.

I've read a few reviews about the Aksiums, some swear by them......others say the rear wheel is a bit shoddy.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    You should be able to get a good set of handbuilt wheels for you budget - but if you want Factory wheels, Merlin have RS30's or Aksiums for £140, or Fulcrum 5's for a little more if you want Campag fit. What wheels have you got at the moment?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s/list.htm

Just noticed - extra discount on Merlin ATM until 3rd Jan so an extra 10% of the above
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • I bought a pair of RS30's instore at Merlin on Friday and they cost £126.00, the guy in the shop said that they have had quite a few Mavic Askiums returned with problems at the RS30's are more robust.
  • RS30's are heavy though!

I've just bought some Planet X AL30's (£125 delivered). Lighter than Aksiums, 30mm rim height and bladed spokes. Not rode on them yet but they look decent enough.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • This thread viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12817217 put me off the AL30's as it seems one rider has already had problems with the wheels and as they are so new it is hard to tell if it is a one off or if more of the wheels will have issues.
  • I was thinking of purchasing a second hand bike at the weekend and the one I've been offered has Xero XSR3's fitted and was thinking of changing them.

I've been offered Aksiums for 120 posted.
  • Just had a read, from what it says there it seems theres definately better options for the money
  • New Aksiums are currently £125 plus £6.50 delivery from Merlin Cycles (need to register for the 10% discount)
  • So, so far, Aksiums and RS30's make it to the shortlist?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Add Planet X Type B's to the list.
  • Slow Downcp
    And handbuilts - you can get a set of Mavic Open Pro's built onto 105 hubs (maybe Ultegra for just above budget)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • On the open pro/105 decent price here

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/23364/Pro ... n-Pro.html
  • cougie wrote:
    Add Planet X Type B's to the list.

They look decent, do you have a set/had a set? Any complaints?
  • On the open pro/105 decent price here

what weight are these wheels?
  • Will be looking for something in a similar price range come spring time and, hopefully, less cruddy roads. Quite like the look of Fulcrum Racing 5s and they seem pretty well thought of.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wouldn't touch Rutland Cycling with a bargepole. Had a mare with them when they had no stock, took two weeks to inform me they had no stock when I ordered the item even though it turns out it wasn't in stock when I paid for them.
    They then told me my option was to put the money I spent towards another product in the store.
    I don't fecking think so...
    Finally got my money back after 3 weeks.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Fulcrum Racing 5's? Any good?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Fulcrum Racing 5's? Any good?

Supposedly yes, haven't used them but they came top in a recentish magazine review of £200 wheels. They're a Campagnolo offshoot that also do Shimano compatible wheels.
  • Slow Downcp
    mikey1982 wrote:
    On the open pro/105 decent price here

what weight are these wheels?

Depending on what spokes are used 105 hubs with Open Pro wheels are around 1,750 gram plus rim tape
  • Look very nice, think we might have a winner, time to start rooting for a deal!
  • That seems very heavy to me if you then need to add skewers and spokes into the build too! You're probably looking at a wheelset weighing in well over 2000gms which is as heavy as the Shimano RS30's or even the cheapo DA16 Alex Rims that my Allez came with. (which were ~2100gms)

105 hubs would roll great though.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    kinetic k1's bomb proof, areo and lighter than aksiums
  • Slow Downcp
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    That seems very heavy to me if you then need to add skewers and spokes into the build too! You're probably looking at a wheelset weighing in well over 2000gms which is as heavy as the Shimano RS30's or even the cheapo DA16 Alex Rims that my Allez came with. (which were ~2100gms)

105 hubs would roll great though.

1,750g includes skewers and spokes
  • Handbuilts will do a very good job at this price but if you want off the shelf I would +1 the Aksiums. Iv had two sets (one campag one shimano) and they proved bomb proof despite not weighing that much.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • Yeah I've took a serious look at the Aksiums but there are quite a few reviews from people who have bouth them hwo said the rear wheel is naff in recent models.

Its a toss up between Fulcrum 5's or hand built I think.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Handbuilt for sure.

Have a look on ebay, theres plenty of sets of light road hubs from Taiwan, these weigh in at around 275g per pair and cost about £75. Get a wheel builder to build them onto some Velocity Aerohead rims with perhaps a 28/24 spoke count and you should get a light set of wheels for around your budget.
  • And how do you go about finding a decent wheel builder, is it a case of posting them and they post them back?

cheers
  • Harry Rowlands is one of the best but try a search here there will be other suggestions.

Some wheel builders (including Harry) will only build wheels to their specification using components they are used to (to an agreed spec with you of course) and may be reluctant to use supplied parts. I suppose they don't want to be blamed for a wheel not working as well as it should due to component mismatch or failure.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    I've got a decent builder, £35 a pair but is in London.