The Puffer

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    The video looks like it's as slippery as err, slippery as muck.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I've got enough dry gear I think - couple of Merino base layers (that I can wear between rides), several windproof jackets, several tights etc. There should be plenty of room to store that gear. As you say, the trick is to get dry and warm straight away. I have a big down jacket to snuggle into.

I was just about to recommend a down jacket. Chuck one of those on as soon as soon as possible - just remember to keep it dry or the down wont keep you warm.

Sounds like a great race though.

Edit - sorry hadnt caught up with the thread - awesome effort
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The video looks like it's as slippery as err, slippery as muck.

I've never seen mud like it on some parts of the course - amazing - and fun with it.
    mrc1 wrote:
    Edit - sorry hadnt caught up with the thread - awesome effort

Thanks. Down jacket was just the job, too. Getting out of your clothes in the back of a Trannie (as opposed to a trannie :shock: ) in the cold was a bit of an effort but worthwhile. I think commuting - going out on the bike in whatever weather the morning brings whether you feel like it or not - is actually quite good mental preparation. I've also realised just how mentally tough my son's cancer has made me.

If I was doing it again, and had time to prepare, I'd have got a bit of technical MTB skills training as this was definitely my Achilles heel. I felt like I was fighting the bike the whole way across the rocks (where lots of people were falling off as the event progressed). I have no idea if the bike was set up properly (tyre and shock pressures) and I'm sure I lost a lot of time and used a lot of wasted energy in that area.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Any TV crews around? The adventure show did a piece on the Puffer last year when it was an utter mud fest. IIRC even at the sections where it was relativly flat people were having trouble staying upright.

Usually some guys I know do it but didn't this year. Don't think they managed to get a team entry and no one fancied going solo.

Good effort though. That is not an easy event.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    suzyb wrote:
    Any TV crews around? The adventure show did a piece on the Puffer last year .

Yup - they were there again this year (I hope they didn't film me - don't think they did)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH