The Puffer

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Awesome, good luck! Ive often wondered how i'd fair in something like this, looking forward to the write up afterwards!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Think I will be able to post updates from my phone. I could tweet progress but that's far too hip'n'happening for me.

Anyhow - van is packed - its been tipping it down all evening.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Good luck!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Better late than never

http://www.justgiving.com/RichardMerrell

Donations will help me through the mud
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    Well just taken the van up the having checked in (towards the head of a queue of about 60 people) for parking. We've got a reasonable site part-way up the fire road climb. It's lovely and mild today (9c) - just started raining but hopefully the worst of that will be gone by the morning. The temperature is forecast to be a slightly awkward 5c - right on the limit for shorts for me. At least it looks like it won't freeze.
  • meanredspider
    Up at 6.45 ready for the day. Having a norming "commuting day" breakfast - latte and porridge with added banana. I'm pretty well packed for the off. Need to collect team mate. His dad (a friend and colleague) was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the same day as Charlie's cancer was diagnosed and died 4 months later.

The weather outside sounds pretty foul. 25mph wind from NW and rain. As long as the wind stays from the west, it won't be too bad as it will broadly be a tailwind up the hill. The rain is less welcome though. 6c is better than we dare hope for though with plenty of windchill but that will keep the frost off.

More later.
  • cjcp
    Sounds like a lovely day for a bike ride...

Do you have gels and stuff to eat on the go?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    11 hours in and 13 laps done. I'm about to go out for my 3rd and 4th lap. Yes - have gels. If I mention this next year, talk me out of it!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Good effort sir!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    11 hours in and 13 laps done. I'm about to go out for my 3rd and 4th lap. Yes - have gels. If I mention this next year, talk me out of it!

Awesome stuff! Keep it up!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Keep your pecker up old chap. You can do eeeet! You can do it all night long!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    Just gone midnight. 4 hours done for me. We're still ahead of schedule for 24 in 24 though the lads are flagging a bit. Terrible chain suck due to horrendous mud means I can't use the small ring for half a lap - nightmare! Getting some sleep myself now. Night night!
  • meanredspider
    Up again - grab some food and clean the bike. Shoulders are very stiff
  • cjcp
    Chapeau!

How you feeling after that shift? And how's everyone else feeling? Last legs?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    I think we're all on that finishing "high". Ask me again at 2-3pm this afternoon. Last ride was good. In fact they were all better than my first when I started too quick. Solved the chain suck by smothering the chain in oil that kept the mud at bay. Wrist a bit swollen. Quite mild this morning - wind has dropped and it's finally light again. Packing away the van
  • meanredspider
    Finished. We managed 23 laps in 24 hours - which doesn't mean a lot. I did 5 hours as I was the last in the rotation of our team. It was incredibly hard but I relaxed into it and enjoyed each lap more than the previous. The mud was incredible - worse I've ever seen. My wrist hurts from the battering it's received, my shoulders ache and I'm very tired but happy to have done it and "got the tshirt" (literally). The "quads" (teams of 4) were on by a team of lads all under 14! Some unbelieveably fit people there with a number of international teams.

Dunno when i'll commute next - probably Wednesday as I'm out Tuesday evening - it'll seem like a doddle
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Excellent, well done. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
  • meanredspider
    Thank you.

Shade over 30 miles (doesn't sound much does it?) - nearly 5000ft of climbing. My HR on the first lap barely dropped below 170bpm

Sintered brake pads were lasting about 3 laps
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You're a better man than I Gungadin! Chapeau.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    Congratulations on finishing.Have a lie down,you've earned it!
  • meanredspider
    Thanks folks. This video posted on YouTube gives a hint at what it's like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r7VCqkIBmo
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    First of all, very well done! I was meant to be doing this solo, however couldn't arrange transport & pit crew so I didn't bother.

Looks like a punishing course, given most 24hr events are quite easy (well the actual course)

Next year?
  • meanredspider
    Yup - one of the better soloists described it as the most technically difficult 24 hour course he's done.

Couple of relatively dull pics

Puffer1.jpg

Puffer2.jpg

The second one hopefully gives some idea of how cold it was sat in a gazebo in the middle of a Highland winter's night.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    That second shot just brings back memories of MM and SITS :? Although i susepct it might have been a little warmer!

next year i'll do the Puffer solo. I promise!
  • cjcp
    Just catching up...

That's a stupendous effort. Well done.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Well done Spidey - you should post this in the MTB section as well.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cjcp
    Stevo 666 wrote:

They can read over there now? Oh how splendid. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I have done - under events and races: viewtopic.php?f=10008&t=12827930&p=17383271#p17383271

It kinda has more relevance here as I really count myself as a "commuter" rather than an MTBer - the journey is more important than the type of bike.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Thanks - hadn't looked in that section for quite a while.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Well done matey! What an adventure, I'm well impressed.