Strava - Amazing!

124»

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Any ideas why Strava data (elevation) is totally different to RideWithGPS?? This morning's ride differed by 500ft??
    Don't worry, they're both wrong.

Anyone got any idea what device gives the most accurate readings for altitude?

Devices with barometer's can read altitude, but are based on air pressure (and GPS data), but as you know air pressure changes with the weather.

Bottom line from what I've read, is that pretty much all altitude readings will be 'best estimate'.

From my understanding, Strava uses mapping data for the 'segments' (and ignores the barometer values)... I guess for the segments this is the only way to have consistent data.

I guess longer term, someone will figure out a way of using the millions of end users GPS/Barometer's mapping 'samples' over an area to update these altitude mapping databases for more accurate values. i.e. anyone with a GPS/Barometer is currently a surveyor of our landscapes.
    Simon
  • Strava is not so accurate for very short segments as it measures in only whole seconds rather than fractions of a second, one segment near me is set halfway down a short steep hill as a speedtrap but my time along with several others is 7 secs and 38.8 mph and the fastest two times 6 secs at 44.3 mph , so it must round up to the nearest second which would make it a bit inaccurate with high speed and short distances.

I think the problem there is that you're trying to get Strava to do something it isn't designed to do accurately. With Garmin GPS units they generally record in "smart" mode to save on the limited memory. Recorded points can be as much as 10 secs apart. If the recording point doesn't coincide with the start and finish, then there will be inaccuracies as Strava interpolates. You can set the 705 to record every second which may help. Obviously over longer distances it gets more accurate.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Any ideas why Strava data (elevation) is totally different to RideWithGPS?? This morning's ride differed by 500ft??

Don't worry, they're both wrong.

Anyone got any idea what device gives the most accurate readings for altitude?

Probably depends on the day. And some hills just are awkward one nr my folks place all of the online mapping sites massively under estemate the height checked on a os map. Mind you also gives some great max gradients 60%! Which is cobblers it's a steep hill but not that steep!
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    For cheap GPS option Phones4u do a cheap Android Froyo (2.3OS) SmartPhone for £59. Totally Sim/Network free and gives you the option to use Google maps if you get lost :D I've been using Mytracks up until now, but gonna try out Strava at the weekend 8)
    Rich

Note:

I was going thru some of the personal settings last night and it does give you the option to hide your start and end points... v-useful if you dont want some scroat lifting 4 grands worth of your carbon pride and joy :cry: