Strava - Amazing!

wardieboy
wardieboy Posts: 230
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Has anyone else tracked their training using http://www.strava.com?

I stumbled upon the site last week and noticed that there were leaderboards for hills in my local area, so I imported a few historical rides from cardiotrainer and wow! Now I can see where I am, compared to other local riders. Really impressed with awards such as King of the Hill etc for local climbs plus the ability to add hills, historically import data, leaderboards automatically generate once a new segment is created. It has really given me the incentive to smash some times and try to progress up the rankings.

It is a great site to track your training, you can set your own private/public routes and track progress, track friends, explore worldwide routes etc.

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Yep, my club are using it..

The climbing snakes are loving it.. Not going out for a proper ride, just for a bit of KOM hunting on the climbs.
  • That's what I'll be doing this weekend - Trophy hunting!

Just seen the 55 page thread on Strava in the commuting forum, those guys are logging some FAST times! A lot of good banter in there too.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Kent's a pretty tough place to take KoM's there's a lot of fast people who ride there. Good Luck!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Been using it for about 6 months... and amazing how many more people in my local area have signing up.

Obviously there are the automatic recognition of climbs within Strava, but as you can create your own sections; obviously the timed climbs are great, but I really like the 'sprint' sections that keep popping on on long undulating sections of roads.

If you ride a lot on your own, I think it really does give a lot of motivation. Obviously it's a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously, but fun is fun!
    Simon
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You've only just found Strava??

FYI its not that accurate on shorter segments.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Been using it on my i phone for about a month,wouldn't be without it :D

it does however drain my phone batteries :(
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Personally I prefer endomondo. Easier to use, better map display and better social network stuff.
  • okgo wrote:
    You've only just found Strava??

FYI its not that accurate on shorter segments.

YES!!! Why didn't you guy's tell me about it earlier!!!???!!! :D
  • Have a look at the Rapha 500 festive challenge, supposed to be 500km over 23rd to 31st, but the masochists are doing some impressive distances, over 1100km is the leading distance!!
  • anto164
    Have a look at the Rapha 500 festive challenge, supposed to be 500km over 23rd to 31st, but the masochists are doing some impressive distances, over 1100km is the leading distance!!

I tried to do that, but due to illness, i'll only be able to do just over half of that.
  • Hard luck.....
    I was out yesterday as part of my personal campaign to HTFU (rule 5) and it was horrible, got back to find someone from just down the road had been out in the same weather and done 109km vs my 40 :cry:
    Just given Endomondo a go, very impressive as well, they seem to have a slightly different clientele, Strava seems to be more cycling orientated, they've only just started running. The live tracker in Endomondo is pretty good stuff but they don't seem to do segments which are fun on Strava.
  • Having used Garmin Connect for the last 3 years or so, I'm impressed with Strava. Our club is using now.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Strava is brilliant. Miles better than Garmin Connect

Just wish you could download GPX files of rides that you fancy doing. (unless i'm blind and missed the bleeding obvious)
  • Interesting….I'm using Endomondo and find it really good - will have to give Strava a go and see which I prefer. I had Garmin on the iPhone but found it killed the battery whereas Endo would last a good few hours
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • I too have just started looking at strava and think it looks good. One problem I can't suss at the minute is how to swap the recording from cycle to runner and back again. Anyone help me out pls?
  • anto164
    I now hate Strava...

Did a MTB ride today, and i'm placed 6th of 49 on a cat 4 climb... I'm going to have to borrow a light bike (i did the 4 mile climb on a 32lb beast) to try to blast and get KOM.
  • Just had a peek, uploaded, awesome. I agree this is the way forward.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Strava is really depressing though once your fitness deserts you, you get to see in black and white just how much you've declined. I've still got some good placings on Strava climbs, but I wouldn't be anywhere near them now :(
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Funny this thread should appear as i've just uploaded my rides a couple of days ago and discovered my local segements. Some interesting benchmarks on there to aim for.

I agree it all looks really good and shall be using it for the foreseeable future...

It was actually Polocini that made me look at it as I was looking into his winter sprinter sportive and Strava will be used for any timing.
  • wardieboy
    Well yesterday was my first ride since discovering Strava. Two of us went out with the specific target of improving our times on the leader boards for local climbs. We have been regularly riding 50 miles + without too much fuss. Yesterdays ride and the 'Strava' factor on the climbs made all the difference! Three climbs in, after covering a distance of an almighty 8.4 miles I was ready to throw up!
  • wardieboy wrote:
    Well yesterday was my first ride since discovering Strava. Two of us went out with the specific target of improving our times on the leader boards for local climbs. We have been regularly riding 50 miles + without too much fuss. Yesterdays ride and the 'Strava' factor on the climbs made all the difference! Three climbs in, after covering a distance of an almighty 8.4 miles I was ready to throw up!

But did you climb the board?
  • wardieboy
    johnboy183 wrote:
    wardieboy wrote:

But did you climb the board?

Oh yes! Ended up finishing the loop at 21 miles with 5 personal bests. Really like the new angle to training Strava provides, every hill is now a race.
  • :P hills? in Kent? I've heard it all now
  • johnboy183 wrote:
    :P hills? in Kent? I've heard it all now

He moved from Norfolk :lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • johnboy183 wrote:

Must be mountains then not hills :P
  • jibberjim wrote:
    Strava is really depressing though once your fitness deserts you, you get to see in black and white just how much you've declined. I've still got some good placings on Strava climbs, but I wouldn't be anywhere near them now :(

yes it's quite humbling isn't it. though I hold high places on Kingston/Richmond bridges which play to my strengths, your on the top part of the leader board for a lot of hills nr my folks place.....
  • For anyone having problems with the Strava Android app (on my HTC Wildfire running Android 2.3, the Strava app seems to exit after about 10 minutes or so), I've found the My Tracks app works really well. Not as convenient as the Strava one, you have to record the session and then upload it manually, but at least for me it works...

Andy
  • Sensational app and website. Went for a 20 mile ride in a new area the other day. Got back to find myself 50th/53 and 78th/89 on 2 segments I was unaware of. Had to go back today, and am now mid table.

It shouldn't affect iPhone battery as long as you lock your phone whilst on your ride. It used about 5% of my iPhone 4 battery per hour when the phone is locked.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • wardieboy
    johnboy183 wrote:
    johnboy183 wrote:

Must be mountains then not hills :P

Haven't you guys heard of the 'L'Alpe d'Carters Hill' ??? :lol:
  • I started using strava a few months ago, I do find the KOM feature to be interesting and can make for a fun ride :P
    I have only gone out with the intention of getting the KOM on a climb once and it was absolute agony.

I did get the KOM and set a time that to be honest I dont think I can better, so if anyone does beat it you have earned it :P (knocked 2 minutes off my best)

http://www.strava.com/segments/black-mo ... man-647694
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152