MAX HR TEST

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
Just done the test as instructed in this months supplement - just before the end of the 5 mins i recorded a 184 - but when i stopped after the 15 second sprint it was 176 - is this understandable? When can i re-test? Is it 176? any help appreciated cheers T.C.

Comments

• DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    T.C. wrote:
    Just done the test as instructed in this months supplement
    Not sure what this is, your max HR should come at the end of any test, because your body should be in complete oxygen debt and your heart beating max out to fuel it. If the test only lasted 5 mins that seems a little short.

Dave
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    not sure what 'supplement' you are talking about - but if you saw 184 then it's pretty obvious that your max cannot be 176...
  • T.C.
    this months cycling plus issue , the ride fit supplement- warm up for 15 mins briskly -then up a hill for 5 mins increasing effort every minute then 15 second sprint
  • DaveL
    if you didn't feel like you couldn't physically take a breath, light headed and about to throw up, you didn't go hard enough

Dave
  • Correct
    Try 200bpm at age 40
    DaveL wrote:
    if you didn't feel like you couldn't physically take a breath, light headed and about to throw up, you didn't go hard enough

Dave
  • DaveL
    Mines 198 age 44

No intention of ever trying it again

Dave
  • Pseudonym
    fellas - quoting your own MHRs is pointless....why are you doing it..?

20 mins doesn't sound like very long to record your max HR, especially with that kind of minimal warm up. You probably need to be riding hard for around 20 mins at least, before you even start to wind it up.
  • DaveL
    Pseudonym wrote:
    fellas - quoting your own MHRs is pointless....why are you doing it..?

He started it :) and to be fair it is on a MHR thread (yes I know it's pointless, I'll shut up now)

Dave
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    T.C. wrote:
    Just done the test as instructed in this months supplement - just before the end of the 5 mins i recorded a 184 - but when i stopped after the 15 second sprint it was 176 - is this understandable? When can i re-test? Is it 176? any help appreciated cheers T.C.
    Maximum heart rate is maximum heart rate - so yours is 184 :)
    You can re-rest anytime you like but it probably won't change much unless you are currently very unfit. Haven't seen the supplement you refer to, but threshold HR is a probably better anchor for your training zones
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • T.C.
    ok cheers, what i thought with a re-test was would it be safe say tomorrow,i'll leave it a week and try again -
  • Pseudonym
    providing you feel good enough, try again tomorrow. It's not the sort of thing you want to be doing unless you feel 100%. There's no need to leave it a week though..
  • To the OP, I have followed Dan Henchy's training programmes (or derivatives of) from the Cycling Plus supplement for 9 months now. For the purposes of setting training zones your max HR in your case would be 184.

Having completed the 20 minute test, I'd suggest you create a spreadsheet replicating the table in the front of the supplement, then play around with your max HR; use the 176 figure and notice the variation within each zone; maybe 3 or 4 beats. On the assumption you have a Garmin type HR monitor can I suggest you set it up in to HR zones and display this.

Whilst this isn't in the supplement go for a ride on familiar roads and try and keep your HR in each zone for a period of time say 20 minutes Z2, 10 mins Z3B; 5 mins Z3A; 2 mins Z4 etc. Keep your HR around the mid-point of each zone. Unless the roads are pancake flat or you intend doing the programme on a turbo, you may not find keeping your HR in the zone not as easy as you imagine. Once you've completed your ride, re-visit your speadsheet again. How different would your ride have been if you'd set your HR at 176 as opposed to 184?

Learning to ride within the zones is very important, it is so easy to ride at the top end of the zones or even push in to the next zone on the premise that training harder will get you fitter. Erring on the side of caution in setting your max HR can help ensure you stay closer to the zones.

Dan's programmes are not easy. I fail repeatedly to keep within the zones this past year and suffered from over-training, or to put it another way under-recovery. This is the biggest lesson I've learnt this year, and finding your max HR is only the start.
    rnt, and whilst Max HR is important, I think keeping your HR within the designated zones is just as important as the temptation is to ride harder than
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • Pseudonym
    I would do a couple more MHR tests first - under-estimating your max by 10 beats could mean the difference between training effectively and wasting your riding time. If you have any doubt that your max is not 184 (which you do, by the sound of it) then do a couple more max tests first and use the highest reading. You'll be much happier knowing that you're training at the right level...
  • T.C.
    cheers for replies, i'm 48 have used a HRM before, but binned it a few years ago, just want to start training seriously again, haven't really been going for it. I do intend to try the max test again- but the more you read the more info you get and it really does do your head in. I did try a coach a few years ago but wasn't happy. I'm also a mature student these days- thus couldn't afford one. Will take all info on board thanks again.