Intense Slopestyle WIP FINISHED MK I!

tom_howard
tom_howard Posts: 789
edited March 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Right, I'm too excited about this to not shout it from the rooftops, so here goes :)

I started looking for a new (to me) AM frame about 6 months ago, but the world is full of people with more money than knowledge of the worth of SH frames , so nothing came up that was in decent nick that I could afford :(.... then I upped my budget to slopestyle range (always the way) so started hunting

Then, joy of joys, one came up that met my criteria on condish and price, but by the time I'd moved money around, it had gone :'(

THEN, another came up! Mo money, but better nick. This is the one that, fingers crossed, will arrive tomorrow.

Due to fiscal conditions, I'm going to have to strip the Orange of the shiny bits to build it up, then rebuild it (The Orange) from spares/ebay stuff.

So, the (proposed) spec......

Frame: Intense 6.6 SlopeStyle w/Fox DHX 5 and 500lb spring. If I see a decent air shock cheap, I may be tempted!
Forks: Boxxer teams with speshul stickerz innit (for DH duty, im hoping to pick up some Float 36s for everything else in the not too distant future)
Bars: Easton Monkeylite DH
Stem: Sunline direct attached 50mm for the boxxers, and a to be purchased 70mm stem for the 36s
Headset: Cane Creek XX reducer
Grips: Specialized enduro
Bar Ends: Hope
Brakes: Hayes 9 at the mo (they work ace so no reason to change, but XT M785s are very tempting, not to mention shiny!)
Shifters: XT M770
Cables: Shimano
Front Mech: XT M770 and MRP taco bash when not in DH trim.
Rear Mech: XT M770
Chain Device: probably an MRP lopes job, as and when i need one, when on DH duty
Seat: SDG Bel Air SL I beam
Seat Post: SDG I beam Carbon (may go to a reverb before the summer, funds permitting.)
Seat Post Clamp: Intense
Cranks: XTR M970
Chainring(s): XTR M970 or Renthal Single for DH Duty
Chain: a metal one? dunno what it is!
Cassette: XTR M970
Pedals: Shimano DX
Bottom Bracket: XTR
Rims: Mavic 729
Spokes: Black DB
Hubs: Chris King ISO 20mm front, 10mm bolted rear
Tubes: black rubber ones
Tires: Minions/lopes/fire FRs/wet screams depending on prevailing trail conditions.

Heres a pic from the shop site of the exact frame...
Bike_Parts_082_compact.jpg?100803

Poysonally, I think the spec is perfect, but any ideas for changes are welcome, but please have a reason :)

The idea is to have a platform that I can change from comfy trail bike to DH weapon in the same time it takes (me) to change a pair of tyres. So swap the forks and stem (and shock if i get one) and the f mech, shifter, and rings and bash for a single ring setup with chain device when the going is gonna be steep.

Finally, the vast majority of the kit here was bought SH from here, the 'other' forumand the 'bay so chances are people ive bought from will see this, and id just like to say thanks to all involved!
Santa Cruz 5010C
Deviate Guide
Specialized Sequoia Elite
Pivot Mach 429SL
Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
Salsa Mukluk Carbon
Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er

Comments

• Should be good :D

Looking forward to seeing this built up!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Either pick up the one set of single crown forks with adjustable travel - say 180-140 range, or buy my 36s when I pick up the aforementioned... I give you good price, they love you looong time.
    Looking forward to racing you with my Torque ;)
  • 820... Inc delivery, new XT front mech and new headset, (bartered down from a 980 asking price :-D)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • IIIIIIIIIts heeeeerrreeeee! :D Well, the frame and forks are anyway...

So, yesterday morning this arrives.

p4pb7562684.jpg

And what should pop out of the worlds most densly packed box (oh err, though seriously box and packing weighed more than the frame itself!!!)? This...
    p4pb7562657.jpg
    p4pb7562660.jpg
    p4pb7562667.jpg
    p4pb7562671.jpg
    p4pb7562673.jpg

Then this morning, this turned up. Wonder whats inside?
    p4pb7562687.jpg

its a pair of these, 05 (I think) BoXXer races, with custom graffix innit.
    p4pb7562692.jpg

And heres what she looks like as a rolling chassis The wheels (Mavic 729s on King hubs) will be cleaned and used in the final build, the stem, bars and tyres wont. Oh and the reason the saddle is so low is because it needs a shim, not because im a midget :)

p4pb7562685.jpg

I'm thinking the head angle looks a bit chopper-esque? Though its prob a bit steeper than the GTs.

p4pb7562654.jpg

Having sat on it too, I think Im going to have to get a lighter spring (12.5 st in my riding gear), but I'll wait and see what the ride is like with this one first.

Just waiting on CRC to finally dispatch some tools and a DM stem and the build will continue!

What do you think?

Oh and my thanks go out to mtbs-r-us for the frame and flatout cycles for the forks, top service by both! Wish CRC were the same!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • bluechair84
    It's true what the seller warned on the box... Intense frames are fragile. I'd stick to toe paths and curb drops ;)

Nah it's looking beautiful but IMO, I'm not sure about the colour of the forks. You is going to whop me to competing the build. Mine has gone backwards and is a pile of nuts and bolts.
  • I know what you mean about the forks, but they do grow on you. The tyres dont help either, but theyre going to be swapped for some new minions fairly soon.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • So I've been test fitting a few things as I suspected some of the kit from the orange prob wouldn't be a straight swap. You'll not be suprised that I'm right, just in the braking department I need longer hoses f and r, new mounts (boxxer forks and a bigger min diameter rear disc (need one of them too...) didn't help!) so I priced it up on crc to give me an idea of the hit my debit card would take. This made me fall over. Nearly 100 farking quid! Well 90 if I can find a voucher donor... I haven't even specced bling hoses!

I'm also praying I never bend the mech hanger or bork the dropouts as I really can't bear to spend £135 per side (really!) on new ones! Let this be a lesson kids, impulse buys are like stupid dwarves with a crack habit Not big, not clever and cripplingly expensive!

Rant over now, on to better news, Im off to have a gander at some u turn lyriks tomorrow for when the bike isn't in full on DH mode :-)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • bluechair84
    Have you priced hoses and discs from superstar instead? Might save a few pounds and the hoses can be colour coded to no extra cost ;)
  • Not yet, will look more seriously at the weekend, figure it can't be any more expensive!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    That is gonna be one nice bike when finished!

Superstar Floating Rotor 203mm,
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=456

Braided hose, (there are cheaper ones)
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=430

Fixing kit,
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=431

Total £63
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bluechair84
    Oi Mancity! Don't help him! We're in a race to see who can get there's built first, and I've an ambitious respray and detailing job to do yet!
  • Haha, thanks mancity, for both comment and advice, that's actually a similar price to crc, as I'd still need caliper mounts f+r plus I'd have to buy 2 rotors, as I NEED f to match r...

Bluechair, how 'finished' are we talking? Cos I'm nearly there so long as I don't have to turn the bars, or change gear.... Or pedal. Or brake. ;-)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • 1mancity2
    Oi Mancity! Don't help him! We're in a race to see who can get there's built first, and I've an ambitious respray and detailing job to do yet!

Haha!
    Send me the frame Ill coat it for you, but that won't be faster!
  • 1mancity2
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Haha, thanks mancity, for both comment and advice, that's actually a similar price to crc, as I'd still need caliper mounts f+r plus I'd have to buy 2 rotors, as I NEED f to match r...

Bluechair, how 'finished' are we talking? Cos I'm nearly there so long as I don't have to turn the bars, or change gear.... Or pedal. Or brake. ;-)

I have hope floating rotors on mine both 203mm and I have only just sold 2 red hope floating rotors with mounts!!!!!
  • bluechair84
    1mancity2 wrote:

Haha!
    Send me the frame Ill coat it for you, but that won't be faster!

Are you a powder coater or experienced spray-ist (which, on reflection, i think could be many things)?
  • 1mancity2
    Aye, over 20 years at it.
  • bluechair84
    Oi, Donkey Petter! I know something about this bike. Get this thread updated! And I'll bring the DSLR along to Style Cop next week to get some better pictures of it to.
  • There shall be pics and an 'it's finished' thread before the day is out!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • 1mancity2
    Tom Howard wrote:
    There shall be pics and an 'it's finished' thread before the day is out!

Tick Tock!!
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Tom Howard wrote:
    There shall be pics and an 'it's finished' thread before the day is out!

Tick Tock!!

Don't make me do an 23.59:99 on yo ass....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • OK, it is done, I has me a new plaything, her name is Lola and here are her vital statistics are...

Frame: Intense 6.6 SlopeStyle w/Fox DHX 5 and 500lb spring.
    Forks: Lyrik coil 160 u-turn, but still got the boxxers for big DH days
    Bars: Easton Monkeylite DH
    Stem: Specialized enduro 65mm
    Headset: Cane Creek XX reducer
    Grips: Specialized enduro
    Bar Ends: Hope
    Brakes: Hayes 9 203f 160r/180 as soon as I can get a rotor at the mo, but XTs in the not too distant future.
    Shifters: XT M770
    Cables: Shimano
    Front Mech: XT M770
    Rear Mech: XT M770
    Chain Device: MRP XCG Triple bash taco type affair
    Seat: SDG Bel Air SL I beam
    Seat Post: SDG I beam Carbon (may go to a reverb before the summer, funds permitting.)
    Seat Post Clamp: Intense
    Cranks: XTR M970
    Chainring(s): XTR M970
    Chain: a metal one? dunno what it is!
    Cassette: XTR M970
    Pedals: Azonic Xtension
    Bottom Bracket: XTR
    Rims: Mavic 729
    Spokes: Black DB
    Hubs: Chris King ISO 20mm front, 10mm bolted rear
    Tubes: black rubber ones
    Tires: Panaracer fire FR 2.4 but hopefully not for too long, gonna get some minions as soon as payday shows its face again!

What? You want pictures? Oh OK....

p4pb7668524.jpg
    p4pb7668507.jpg
    p4pb7668511.jpg
    p4pb7668522.jpg
    p4pb7668519.jpg
    p4pb7668514.jpg
    p4pb7668509.jpg

I know there will be many people who consider putting a triple chainset on a frame like this, but im just experimenting with various setups till I find one I like (ive been running 1x9 for the last 10 years and my knees and lungs have had enough of it!)

I'll report back on how it rides after the weekend and I've given her a damn good thrashing! from the pootle ive had so far, I'm mega excited!!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • bluechair84
    Bugger me... you've not got much choice in cockpit height with that Steerer tube!

Fantastic looking bike! Swaps for a few runs I think.
  • I will be honest... this bike got me a little wet donw in my pants... there was a fizzle :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    yeah, thats some sick riding.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    man this is nice

since reading about this frame in the "Dirt Top 100" before Xmas, im thinking this is my next bike (once i learn how to ride this one of course)
  • 1mancity2
    That is nice!

When you getting a dropper post for it?

no way do you want to be altering your seat and stopping the flow.
  • When funds allow! New tyres and some better brakes first then reverb at end of march most probably. Unless I find a big pot of cash somewhere...

In other news, she weighs 36lbs as pictured, bearing in mind that the tyres weigh 4.5 lbs (hence the need for new, lighter, rubber!)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
  • bluechair84
    If your scales are more portable than bathroom how-much-did-I-put-on-this-xmas scales, could you bring em this weekend?