training book

dan man
dan man Posts: 68
could any one on here recommend a good traning book :)

Comments

• Racing and Training with a Power Meter by Coggan and Allen. Even if you don't have a power meter the information in the book gives you the basics on how to build condition and then prepare for your goal event.
  • Racing and Training with a Power Meter by Coggan and Allen. Even if you don't have a power meter the information in the book gives you the basics on how to build condition and then prepare for your goal event.

+1 totally agree, excellent book
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    dan man wrote:
    could any one on here recommend a good traning book :)

If you already know something then you may well get a lot of use out of TRWPM however if you aren't already familiar with basic training principles then I think it's a terrible book to start with. I think you really can't beat Joe Friel's Cyclists Training Bible for someone new and who is willing to learn. It takes you through all the stages of setting up a training plan, even if some of it which you may not in the end agree with, it still provides a decent basis from which to start from and refine with later reading such as TRWPM.
  • Friel himself says his book is not intended for new riders, but those that have some solid years of cycling under their belts.
  • doyler78
    Friel himself says his book is not intended for new riders, but those that have some solid years of cycling under their belts.

I didn't find it particularly hard to follow. What is about the material that you think is challenging for new riders?
  • doyler78 wrote:
    Friel himself says his book is not intended for new riders, but those that have some solid years of cycling under their belts.

I didn't find it particularly hard to follow. What is about the material that you think is challenging for new riders?
    I perhaps didn't phrase it well. I meant the training the book suggests is not intended for newer riders.
  • I'm relatively new to riding (couple of years) but found the Friel book very useful as it doesnt really assume a lot of prior knowledge and gives you sufficient flexibility to decide on the level you want to train at. The only thing missing were the actual workout sessions - I bought 101 Cycling workouts to fill the gap although I'm not sure this was the best choice
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The workouts in the Friel book are all in an appendix at the back...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • doyler78
    doyler78 wrote:

I perhaps didn't phrase it well. I meant the training the book suggests is not intended for newer riders.

Ahh you are right. He does say that it isn't suitable for new riders however the OP asked for a training manual therefore whether new or not if he is looking somewhere to start learning a bit more about the topic then he could do a lot worse than Friel IMHO.
  • nice nice thanks for feed back :) i am new to cycling 2nd year :!: would like some thing that would have a basic training programme that i could ajust too suit my self :?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    might help to know your goals?

Friels book is specifically targeted at racers, as many are, so if you're more focused on sportives, general riding etc there are better books like Garry Palmer's Sportive Training book.

Depends a little on what you are trying to do?
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Appendix C has 3 endurance workouts - one of which is suggested not to be used in the first two years of training (3rd workout) another which is recovery. I still figure you may want some other workout stuff if you want to mix it up a little :D
  • HiMoz
    HiMoz Posts: 62
    I Would recommend the Obree way http://www.obree.com/store.php

Pricey but accessible and covers a wide range of topics.

Just remember that training is an art as much as it is a science - don't end up getting too constrained by a plan and following it word for word.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    The only endurance workout you'll ever need: ride your bike for x hours in zone 2. Friel broadens the definitions to add in a recovery ride and a fixed ride so he doesn't have to create extra categories....
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Try the Fitness section on this website, or a google search for 'sportive training plan' will bring up loads of info:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sportive+training+plan

Nicole Cooke's book Ride for Life is a well laid out, straightforward book with a good section on training plans (and is available for pennies at Amazon). The other suggestion I'd make would be to join a club or join a regular local group ride.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.