What is your mileage resolution for 2012?

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
How many miles are you going to aim for in 2012?

I'm going for 2500 by 31 December 2012 - that's commuting, cycling holiday in April, general puttering around.

Anyone else?
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm 200 miles short of 5000 this year (there's still time...). By far the majority of that is commuting so I spose I'll do the mileage necessary to get me to and from work ;-). I've signed up for a 100 mile sportive in June so that + training will see me racking up that extra 200.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I beat my target of 6,250 miles this year (10,000 km) so am setting a target for 2012 of 7,500 miles (12,000 km)
    FCN = 4
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Well, if I reckon on 45 weeks just commuting between home-station, Oxford Road-Salford, that's 2300 miles just from that. I hope to get out on my bike more next year than this, so I'll go for 3000.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I will aim for 6000 miles.
  • Aiming for 5000 this year
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    7,500 miles. First figure that popped into my head. This will be difficult.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm still just about on target for 4000 miles this year - with only 75 miles to go, mild, mostly dry weather, and a fairly free schedule this week I might even manage to do it without even getting cold or wet!

I think I'll add a modest 500 for a 4500 miles 2012 target. I'm wary of being too ambitious - I'm struggling with a sciatica/hip muscle problem which has kept my mileage down recently.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    More than last year :wink:

I'm tempted to try for 2000. Small target I know but I only did 1100 this year and slightly less last year. If I could find the will to go out on longer rides I'd probably manage more than even that.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    6500 this year, looking for similar next year but have to do more running and swimming!
  • aiming around 7500miles
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cjcp wrote:
    7,500 miles.

Naaaah, I already did that.

No particular target for this year. I'll probably beat 7500 if I make more of an effort in the winter and winter continues to fail to happen properly this year or, if I don't, I'll probably do the same again.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I will do 2500 miles if I commute every single day, which I will try to do, but something will come up at some point...

Overall, I will say I will do 3500 miles then. That adds 1000 miles of additional riding, something I haven't been doing. "the long way home" in the summer will also help with this.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Did over 8000 last year so am going to aim for a nice round even 10,000, though i'd settle for 9,000. Kinda depends on what kinda spring/summer/autumn we have. The milder the better. Also getting a bit bored with the same old routes so i'm gonna make an effort to go some places a bit further afield or just different to what i normally do.
  • Hope to finish on 5600 this year.... so aiming for 6500 for 2012, which will be hard, but if i throw in a few sportives and a L2P (in planning at work) it should be possible...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Looking to reduce the silly miles, 13.5k is too much just cycling; might look to combine it with running and swimming, to get a more balanced workout.
  • This year's aim was 6000 km but fell well short for various feeble excuses. Next year will try for 5000 km, as I won't be back on bike till middle of February at least.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't record mileage on my MTB, as for my commuter, I lost about 5 months riding this year for various reasons (an arm in a sling was a good excuse) and managed just over 1100miles on the commuter, so will aim for 1500miles unless I get the job change I'm after in which case I'm not sure how it will wok out as it's too far to do the full commute by bike (62 miles each way).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I know that whatever target I set myself, because I log on SCStats & My Cycling Log I'll end up getting all competitive and doing more. I set myself the 2011 target of 7k as a bare minimum, 7500 as sensibly doable, 8k at a push. Last year was 6250 or so (according to SCStats, other figures vary slightly). Well, those targets went by the by...as of today, SCStats figure is 9158.9. I might do the same, I might do less, no idea at this stage. Though I am a bit hacked off that I could have had a 10k year if things had worked out differently....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    I tend to work in km, so forgive me if I don't know in miles so much.

This year, I aimed for 10000km, but have managed over 1000km a month (my shorter term targets), so I'm on about 13800. Shame I'm not going to get the 14000km, but it is by far the most I've ever ridden, partly by ensuring I get on the bike every day, even if I'm ill. Once I've got out the house, I've done the hardest bit.

I did notice as I was entering some tandem miles (see, the tandem's computer is in miles, as the beloved stoker doesn't work in modern numbers), that I am close to the magic number of 8760 miles, which would be one mile per hour for the entire year. That may be too ambitious, but I want to stick with 1000km per month again, and hope for 12000km. Anything else is a bonus.

If you use Bikejournal or MyCyclingLog, you can have other targets. I aim to do the year at an average of 20kph, which I missed this year, because I went on more group rides. I'll keep that target. And I aim to be in the top ten of my clubs on each of those sites (currently eightth position for all). Bikejournal lets you know how you're doing in the whole wide world, so I'm hoping to be in the top 200 there. I'm now in the 150s.

Not terribly ambitious, but I want to be sure I'm still moving.
    Riding on 531
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Aiming for 6000 miles in 2012, all dependent on how much i get out with mini ck #2 due any day.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Worth mentioning that StuAff is one of the people I chase on MCL
    Riding on 531
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Target is > 4000 again. I aimed for 5000 this year knowing it would be hard, and failed it. Next year is likely to see fewer commute days and as there won't be a Royal Wedding I probably won't get a long weekend passout to do 300 miles over the long w/e, which was a good chunk over a short period. 4000, and / or Top 50 on Stats.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Clarion wrote:
    Worth mentioning that StuAff is one of the people I chase on MCL

Indeed. Your mileage is certainly rather excellent in its own right (over 1/3 more than I did last year!).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    3,479 miles. 2012 TdF is 3,479 km...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • If the gales, ice and snow hold off over Jan/Feb I'm hoping to rack up 5,000 miles in 2012.

Just passed 4,700 miles today, but the forecast is horrific for the next couple of days, so seriously unlikely I'll bang out another 284 miles before Saturday :evil: Weather has been mostly appalling since mid-November, so haven't been able to get out on the bike as often as I'd have liked.

Signed up for a few sportives next year, so that should compensate somewhat for the lack of LEJOG mileage, just need to MTFU and get out more often!
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Clarion wrote:

I did notice as I was entering some tandem miles (see, the tandem's computer is in miles, as the beloved stoker doesn't work in modern numbers), that I am close to the magic number of 8760 miles, which would be one mile per hour for the entire year

I like that stat :!: 8)
    FCN = 4
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    No mileage target for next year. Reckon should hit 5000/6000 but polan to be more focused,
  • I vowed not to set myself a target this year (hence the sig.) as I didn't want to make cycling into a chore that I felt I had to do. I did however keep a log of my commutes as I can then use the money saved on fuel to justify my cycling related purchases :-)

I did a bit over 2000 miles on commutes alone which is quite a bit more than I've managed in previous years (although it looks a bit feeble in comparison to most on this thread). I'd like to think I can manage similar next year but again, I'm not willing to beat myself up over it.

More importantly there wasn't a single occasion this year when I wished I'd taken the car instead of cycling, there were several when I found myself trapped in the car in a queue of traffic wishing I'd taken the bike.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Commuting to/from work should rack up 4000miles, shops/pubs and fun can easily add another 2-3000miles.
    Sat club runs will add 3500miles onto that.
    Plus 'training' should add another 3000miles on (turbo hours count?)
    And a bit of offroad, and I fancy entering the Track League as I turn Vet in summer!
    Personal targets are getting PB's in 10tt and 25tt, if above happens I should at least take 2 minutes of my ten and 5 minutes off my 25.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Plus 'training' should add another 3000miles on (turbo hours count?)

3,000 miles *on* a turbo or including time on a turbo? :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."