How I improved my time for a 10 by over 4 minutes

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
OK so I was starting from a lousy base, my PB on D1/10 had been 28:30, I wanted to see if it was humanly possible to get to under 26 minutes, in June I managed 24:24.

Ok still not a stellar time but I was impressed. I improved my PB by 2 minutes too on a fast course (Levens). Factors: main one was that I have a great coach, Matt Shillabeer, who is going to help me do a 25 in under an hour in 2012 (yes, correct). Other factors: got my position better, disocvery that one of my legs is 10 mm longer than the other and corrective foot wedges to make me walk correctly, and of course training right. I still need to drop a shedload of weight and learn to pedal and breathe properly. And not be such a wuss too.

So if you're thinking of getting a coach, try Matt. It's all done via the net so location isn't really an issue.

Comments

• twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Well done. Its great what a decent coach and structured training can do. I'm constantly bewildered by people spending masses on bling thinking it will make them go faster when what they should be doing is upgrading the engine first.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Well done!
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Sounds like you did well.

But what did you actually do to improve?

Did your position make you more powerful of more aero? Or both?

How did the leg length correction help?

What training did you do? Hours per week? Distance/intervals? Powermeter or HR or RPE?

Did you peak for certain races or try to remain on peak for the whole season?

How much did it cost to get this improvement?
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    Where did you get the foot wedges from or if you made them how?

My left leg is like 2.5cm longer than my right.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    How did you find out that one leg was longer than the other? Did your GP do the measuring for you?
    I only ask, because I know that one of my arms (left) is longer than the other.