Kestrels safe with turbo trainers?

Alex Buffa
Alex Buffa Posts: 3
After getting my RT1000 a few days ago and used it for the first time today, I was putting my Kestrel talon away and noticed what looked like a crack in the frame. Not sure if this is cosmetic or structural (never crashed). But is this a cracked frame in your opinion? (can't seem to get photos uploaded :( ) Are carbon bikes ok with trainers? (been using my Talon since Sept on a Elite Fluid Pro trainer). The RT1000 has carbon dropouts on frame and forks. I'd hate to snap those since Kestrel is unheard of here in Korea.

After seeing this, I put my RT1000 off duty and reassembled my old Specialized Epic bike for trainer duty until I hear back from Kestrel. Regardless, has anyone seen bad things happen to carbon frames while using the trainers? I used my RT1000 once today, but I'd hate to be forced to using only rollers. I like the feel of the fluid trainer and want to keep the variety in training available.

Any insight or suggestions are more than welcome.

Alex

(PS: The tap test on the tubes were consistent in sound. No 'dull' taps on the frame througout the tubes or stays.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Probably just a crack in the paint, not the frame. depends where it is though - paint blemishes are common near the drop outs. make sure you are using a suitable skewer so that the clamps go no where near the frame. if a bike can't cope with being in a trainer, I sure wouldn't ride it on the road.

nevertheless, carbon bikes can readily crack when dropped if the tube hits something (e.g. a kerb). The tubes do not cope with bangs from the side at all well. they are designed to manage the stresses of riding exceptionally well, just not so good when dropped.
  • Sorry for the belated reply, but I tried searching for nearly 2 days and read countless threads of doom and gloom. I emailed Kestrel and contacted Colorado Cyclist and talked with the person who sold me the bike to ask them (they have massive volume and are very involved in racing and teams all over the US and in the National training center there). The dropouts on Kestrels are NOT all carbon. They are METAL dropouts that are COVERED in carbon. The metal is slightly thinner to accomodate the carbon which apparently is extremely durable and hard enough to handle more than enough stress you can put the bike through. The companies that sell the bikes bring dissected bikes to demonstrate the tube thickness and construction design showing the interrior of the bike, the dropouts, lugs and general thickness to educate staff about the safety design and peformance aspects of the bike. He told me it was pretty impressive to hold all the dissected parts of very expensive frames, but also puts a lot of the question mark about their construction out of their heads. The 'carbon dropouts' on the RT1000 are metal with a thin layer of carbon covering (the carbon part) which makes the bike look great. But in reality it's just as strong and as reliable.

In his past 10 years, he hasn't seen any dropouts break from anything other than a crash. The carbon dropouts are just as strong and reliable as any metal dropout. They see the volume over time and I trust his judgement.

In regards to turbo trainers, the bikes are more than designed for it and are torture tested to withstand forces FAR above what any human today can put them through while on the road (extremely obese people possibly excepted). If you talk with Mike Creed @ Colorado cyclist who's been to the factories where these bikes are made. The amount of torture testing and quality control, safety testing and design put into these bike is what in his words is 'higher than the medical profession' (curious quote on that, since he worked in the medical field).

No frames have been broken by turbo's on carbon frames by their teams, and more importantly no warranties have been claimed by customers for broken frames due to turbos. The frames that are warrantied are those from crashes into objects and people forgetting bikes on their car roofs when they get home which can turn nasty.

As for my Talon frame. The crack is in the paint, but the quarter test shows a nice clink sound that is consistent within the tube. I covered the crack with soe clear nail polish.

It really helps to actually talk with people who deal with these things a lot on a daily basis on sales/warranty claims/riding aspects to get a more balanced view. These people see the volume that most of us won't see in our lifetimes. The amount of stress concerning the uncertainty of the bike was a little discouraging. In addition, any problems with the bike or need for parts, just give them a call and they will ship you what you need (like seat posts if they break and you can't find them anywhere).

Happy times are here again!

:)

Alex
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Glad you sorted this out. I was going to reply, typically yes, although mine ripped a hole in my training tyre with it's talons.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale