These pod coffee machines things

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'll stick with the simplicity of a cafetiere and ground coffee. Preferably Fairtrade, but I won't press that on anyone.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I'll stick with the simplicity of a cafetiere and ground coffee. Preferably Fairtrade, but I won't press that on anyone.
    cafetiere......won't press that on anyone..... I see what you've there.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Parent's have a nespresso machine and I have the lavazza version at home, for convenience I don't think you can beat them. For flavour, possibly the nespresso edges it, but not sure really, as for ease of use, and appearance, it's definitely the nespresso.

As for the cost, well it's a luxury item, if you like your coffee, but are a bit lazy, then it's easily worth it. But if you are happy to put the effort in, then you can probably have better coffee, for cheaper, otoh if you're happy drinking instant, then well you don't deserve any better :wink:
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    MattC59 wrote:
    AltaRica.jpg

What's with all this posh coffee, fancy mug and kettle?! Here's what you need:

002601.jpg
    individually-wrapped-medium-weight-white-plastic-spoon-1000-cs.jpg
    foamcup.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIr0c4ZI2SY0aIdBM56ObFJEUg4iKnJcxwS_1X3T-zakR59ckTIZctxTyu
  • tumblr_lqd16eTdtn1r1ij4co1_500.jpg
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    tumblr_lqd16eTdtn1r1ij4co1_500.jpg

What coffee shop did you buy this in - the Swastika is facing the wrong way.
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    lemoncurd wrote:
    the Swastika is facing the wrong way.
    Nazi Nazi

;-)
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://www.coffee-direct.co.uk/blue-mou ... amaica.htm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVuuo2_GMPyDO-pQmSpQMSbpAlQJRzy5UdvTklJEpOM3xDTTfJ

If you want very very good coffee then why not spend your 40p per 5grams on the best you can get and use your cafetiere?
    You will still save the cost of a new gadget, but you could either burn that money or send it to La leche League to counteract the effect of Nestle's bottle-milk marketing to mothers in the third world( who are very susceptible to advertising techniques, being not so sophisticated as we Europeans).

You can put milk in it too if you like. Like painting over a Faberge egg, but just don't tell anyone.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Nespresso machines are for people who use gas barbeques and drive automatic cars.

There, 2 more cans of worms...
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Nespresso machines are for people who use gas barbeques and drive automatic cars.

I use a Nespresso machine, use a proper barbecue and drive a manual.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Dualit espressivo machine that takes else pods or ground (I put filter paper in the basket to avoid issues others have had). Plus an old stove top. Both make far better coffee than anywhere locally.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Just for you Nespresso people in the Manchester area. There is a dedicated shop opening in the trafford centre in Spring. I presume it will move out of Selfridges but I also presume they will have more stock and have more things to offer.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    I had a Krups Nespresso machine for Christmas and would say it is the best present I've had. The capsules aren't that expensive really (I got 250 with a presentation box for £75 so only 30p a cup) when you think what you would pay in a coffee shop or even when you look at the price of a decent quality instant which won't come close on a taste front. The taste is superb and with such a wide range of strengths and blends it is easy to find one to meet you preference. The milk heater / frother for lattes and cappuccinos is very quick and the coffee part itself can give me a good quality cup of coffee in seconds. My biggest problem is not drinking too much coffee so I've resorted to water in work to enjoy a few nice cups at home.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Go cheap and don't spend a fortune on coffee maker.

I have a basic espresso maker from Curry or Comet. It should have cost £14 but we got it as a freebie with a fridge freezer. It makes espresso really well and with no hassle. Fill up the water bit, put coffee in the metal thinngy and switch on. Just as easy as instant with a kettle. It has a frother but I don't use it. If I want hot milk I zap it in the micro and add the espresso.

After nearly 6 years it is sounding a bit iffy so SWMBO bought me a stove top traditional espresso maker. Makes 6 espresso servings. I've still to try it.

I know a neighbour who has a built in coffee maker. Cost about £2k. That's more than both of my road bikes!!!!
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    +1 on the Krupps Nespresso machine. I've had one for a couple of months now and use it all the time. Various friends and family who have come round and had a cup from it have been so impressed they've gone out and bought one as well.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've now had a chance to use the Nespresso machine I got for xmas and it does make a decent espresso. A million times better than instant, but not a patch on the espresso I make in my Gaggia from freshly roasted and ground beans from http://www.hasbean.co.uk.
    More problems but still living....
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    FCUK me, am I still on BikeRadar?

Have a cup of tea! ;-)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Canny Jock wrote:

I use a Dolce Gusto; have been banned from using coal by the wife due to a small incident when drunk with some mates when coming up with the usual man idea of a 'quick start'...; manuals alround on the drive as well.

It is horses for courses, we used to have a Gaggia but hardly used it with having to make it up every time and then cleaning. Also, dare I say it, the Dolce Gusto tastes better than our Costa in work
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    amaferanga wrote:
    I've now had a chance to use the Nespresso machine I got for xmas and it does make a decent espresso. A million times better than instant, but not a patch on the espresso I make in my Gaggia from freshly roasted and ground beans from http://www.hasbean.co.uk.

I honestly wouldn't clean my toilet with the thin slime your Gaggia throws out.

If you're serious about your coffee you should be doing as I do. Import fertile earth from the highlands of the Yemen at any human or monetary cost. Place earth carefully along the base of a purpose built tropical biodome in the estate of one of your properties. Plant one Caffea arabica drupe (berry) fairly close to the surface of your earth. Now release all the insects and bees etc that are native to the Arabian Peninsula into your dome to take care of pollination. Wait several years whilst tending lovingly to your tree, (better still pay some Yemeni peasant to do it for you). Harvest and roast the ......................................................

Bore off.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    jim453 wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:

I honestly wouldn't clean my toilet with the thin slime your Gaggia throws out.

If you're serious about your coffee you should be doing as I do. Import fertile earth from the highlands of the Yemen at any human or monetary cost. Place earth carefully along the base of a purpose built tropical biodome in the estate of one of your properties. Plant one Caffea arabica drupe (berry) fairly close to the surface of your earth. Now release all the insects and bees etc that are native to the Arabian Peninsula into your dome to take care of pollination. Wait several years whilst tending lovingly to your tree, (better still pay some Yemeni peasant to do it for you). Harvest and roast the ......................................................

Bore off.

F*ck me you're funny.

If discussing coffee bores you then don't read the thread.
    More problems but still living....
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    kicking myself - saw Curry's had dolce gusto machines for £50 before christmas - as a second machine for work this would have been great - WTF are they now you want one?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Navrig

ah yes the panto season is upon us - you seem to have suggested I buy the Tim Man, in which to make coffee!
    31wP3H5fpiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

wont dorothy go thirsty?
    pic07tin-man.jpg
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Navrig

ah yes the panto season is upon us - you seem to have suggested I buy the Tim Man, in which to make coffee!
    31wP3H5fpiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

wont dorothy go thirsty?
    pic07tin-man.jpg

Very good. :lol:

Whilst it us cheaply made t makes good traditional espresso. If you want better quality spend a bit more but still less than these pod machines.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    +1 for the bialetti (tin man), perfect coffee everytime
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I used to use cafetierres, then read an article about cyclists and coffee a few years back, and the bialetti was mentioned quiet a lot as an excellent way to make espresso, I saw one in fenwicks one day and made an impulse buy. I was/am impressed with it compared to a cafetierre, taste seems better/richer not sure why! It works by heating the water on a hob and forcing steam through the coffee into the pot on top so unlike the cafetierre doesnt 'soak the coffee' in water.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Serious Question: Are cafetiers any good?

Yes. You can make nice coffee with almost anything. A good grinder helps as the various machines/pots all require a different coarseness to get the best results.
  • I had a Nespresso machine for about 4 years until it died on me, i was gutted. Still thinking about replacing it. I also have a stove top but i miss the crema that the machine used to give, i dont suppose this is possible to do with a stove top is it? :?