POLOCINI Winter Sprinter 2012 - 4th March

2»

Comments

• polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    A detailed briefing has been sent out. Any problems or queries then please email me and I'll be happy to answer them.

Cheers
    AL
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Oh boy was it wet..............and cold............and windy...............and wet some more!!

Great ride anyway - hope everyone enjoyed it!! 8)
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Did you mention it was wet? :D
    Still got wrinkly fingers even now.

Excellent event though....thanks to Polocini and crew for the great organisation, food, facilities and numerous goodies.

The Chilli at the end was a life saver, not sure it quite went with the chocolate shake but it all went down a treat.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • +1 for it being a (typically) superb Polocini event. I've done a few of Al's events and they've always been great routes, company and grub before, during and after. I'd entered the 60m route, got to 33m, chain came off the big ring, jammed up, rear mech went into the wheel, tore the mech hanger off, buggered a couple of spokes and left me with a bit of thinking on my hands (and plenty of oil and cack by the end of it).

I managed to bodge a singlespeed and got the 6 or 7 miles back to the HQ for some superb food, plenty of mickey taking and a little bit of sympathy. I freely admit there's no short cuts to good maintenance. I am living proof. Just a bit gutted I missed the best bits - and the cake stop at Over Alderley.

Thanks to all the Polocini team. If I've not got it wrong, I think their Jubilee bank holiday ride goes on sale tomorrow. Count me in for that one.
    |> Save money on purchases from CycleStore, Wiggle, Merlin, Evans, Chain Reaction, Halfords and more - click here (or PM me with questions)
  • fred22
    fred22 Posts: 509
    I drove past HQ on my way out to Northwich, it was chucking it down though the sight of so many nice bikes on roofracks etc gladdened my heart. Saw a couple of riders who must just be drying out now.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That was ACE!
    So glad I decided against packing in the cycling lark. Only been back on the road a week so it was a real challenge for me. My mate Dan helped me round mentally as much as anything. So unfit / overweight.
    (We were the little and large combo in orange Rapha stowaways)

The weather made it even better for me, it added an epic feel to it. The food, drinks, snacks, everything was first rate. I'd recommend a Policini sportive to anyone (especially those, like me, who 'don't do sportives')

Shame Colin Pokerface had to bail early on but he'd ridden to he start in clothing that was no where near warm enough. He was shaking like a sh!tting dog after 5 mins and had to get home.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    I wussed out of this i'm afraid. Was gutted to see the weather forecast worsen during yesterday and woke up this morning looked out the window, checked MET Office website to confirm a no show. With the gear i've got i've ventured out in 5 / 6 above freezing with a 'feels like' of around 2 or above, maybe a bit of light showers. Today forecast down to freezing, warning of snow and heavy rain. I've afraid my roubaix bib shorts and wind proof would not be up to the task! That and no mudguards and I was gonna be in a world of cold.

Sounded fantastic, well done to those that braved the elements. It just hammers home that I need some proper gear for all weathers and ideally a winter bike with some lovely guards fitted. Cant get guards on this synapse for love nor money.

Hopefully i'll get a Polocini event in later this year.
  • napoleond
    There were many out with no guards or cruds (like me)
    It was ok once you got going. Hardest bit was getting going again after the feed station as it was so sodding cold.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • griffsters
    It was more the lack of water resistant clothing, shorts along with the cold. Been out a few times in similar temps but no rain and felt chilled so knew I was on the edge of what I could stand. The heavy rain on top was the killer for me :(

I know tho, I should of just MTFU!
  • napoleond
    In a word... Yes ;)

A few in shorts today!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • griffsters
    Ok Ok I own up, fair weather cyclist :D