Turbo dungeon up and running

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
Finally got the turbo dungeon up and running for this year, moved outside from the conservatory to the garage this year and you know what, I think it might be better - it was of course the middle of the afternoon and lovely n sunny at the time but even so I think I prefer being surrounded by all my lovely bikes.

Slapped an old tyre on the Trek and set up my garmin (didnt have last year) and away I went, well after almost an hours worth of faffing.

Set up the ipod & dock

My Trek now has speedplay which i must say worked perfectly i'm really liking the unlimited float feeling and zero knee pain, however as my stack height is now lower i'm gonna need a shim in the left shoe.

Anyway ..... the first turbo session is out of the way, my usual winter commuter has been given the quickest most basic clean of its life and the CX is ready to resume commuting duties in tomorrows PERFECT STORM.

Pics to follow
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'm so short of space I've had to relegate my "turbo bike" (the old steel one) to the shed. Not really sure about using the carbon fibre bike on the turbo.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    Finally got the turbo dungeon up....

Wimp - I'm going for the 2 hours slogging round Richmond park at freezing into driving wind and rain. Will all pay off come June......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Agent57 wrote:
    I'm so short of space I've had to relegate my "turbo bike" (the old steel one) to the shed. Not really sure about using the carbon fibre bike on the turbo.

I've attached the Scott to the turbo as the other steeds are in use. Just put a towel over the steerer cap/stem area and wipe off any sweat after you've finished.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Wimp - I'm going for the 2 hours slogging round Richmond park at freezing into driving wind and rain. Will all pay off come June......

Dude you cant compare the weather in London to here in Windshire, your cold is my shorts + BBQ + pimms

MTFU you townie
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    JZed wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Dude you cant compare the weather in London to here in Windshire, your cold is my shorts + BBQ + pimms

MTFU you townie

OK then - wimp! My 18 mile commute this morning includes 10 windswept miles above 500 feet and you don't see me poncing around on a big girly turbo!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Takes me back to last winter. Turbo trainer out in the garage. Sub-zero with my breath freezing on the handlebars. Why is it enjoyable ?
  • itboffin
    10 windswept miles above 500ft pah!

My house is at 540ft here in Windshire ;-)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i wish i had a turbo dungeon :( i dont even have room for all my bikes in my flat :(

this is when i get very jealous of my friend who has just bought his first house, it has a massive converted garage which he's going to set up as a games room. id have my turbo permanently set up in there with a 42" tv, sky, and everything else that goes with it. id be so fit come the spring :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:

So you are basically saying you have no need for a wimpy turbo dungeon then? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    itboffin wrote:

Your ivory tower is not that high.......
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    spasypaddy wrote:
    I wish i had a turbo dungeon ... I'd be so fit come the spring :(

It doesn't work like that
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've got a turbo and roller dungeon ! - don't use either ! Perfer the road ! :twisted:
  • itboffin
    Boris biked from Paddington to Strand and back instead today, totally soaking myself in sweat in the process, no turbo tonight, hopefully cross country commute tomorrow.
  • Agent57
    cjcp wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

I've attached the Scott to the turbo as the other steeds are in use. Just put a towel over the steerer cap/stem area and wipe off any sweat after you've finished.

I think my main concern is the stresses a turbo puts on the rear stays. As the bike is fixed in position, and can't rock, I'm worried it's not built for those sorts of lateral forces.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i have my kuota on the turbo for the last 2 winters. No problems at all. At club turbos there are people with far more expensive carbon bikes and they have no issued either. If your really worried about it get a set of rollers then you only have to worry about falling off.
  • Agent57
    Fair enough. I'm probably worrying about nothing. Good news!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I put my Carbon TT bike in my turbo trainer no ill effects so far. It's been good for tinkering with the position although that needs to be confirmed out on the road.

and unlike some people I still get a 100+ miles in out on the road :P :P
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    Sigh off to set the turbo up again, I wonder if it will be okay to use and old fixed axle freewheel 7 speed rear wheel after all so long as it sits on each sprocket there should be any issues :roll:

Something to do at least.
  • itboffin
    Now then is it turbo time again ?

Weather says hell yes mind & body say boooo
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    No turbo, no room, well I do but it's in the hall and there would be complaints so I have just stuck the guards back on and had a big gulp of MTFU
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not yet. Am giving it until October.

But I did build up the Kona Jake again today in readiness for the months ahead...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Think the turbo carbon bike thing is firmly settled as being no problem.

I use my carbon bike on it without any issues.

We are looking for a new house atm and a space for turboing is high on the agenda. Current house has me set up in the dining bit of the kitchen which means I have to pack my bike, turbo and fan away after/before every session - PITA
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Barely used the Turbo last winter. Just manned up and headed out into Surrey (usually Windsor way). Did get sodding cold at times, but it beats the turbo. This year I think I'll Turbo twice a week and then ride at weekends (weather permitting). Let's just hope it doesn't bloody snow.

Need some new winter tights.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im not convinced a carbon bike should go on a turbo. my PX cracked after being on the turbo... no direct correlation as it cracked when riding but it cracked where the alu dropout is attached to the carbon seat stays.

just didn't seem right that it went there after being on the turbo and therefore getting weird forces through it
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im not convinced a carbon bike should go on a turbo. my PX cracked after being on the turbo... no direct correlation as it cracked when riding but it cracked where the alu dropout is attached to the carbon seat stays.

just didn't seem right that it went there after being on the turbo and therefore getting weird forces through it

Sky use all their bikes on turbos.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    spasypaddy wrote:

Sky use all their bikes on turbos.

Their bikes are made out of iron though.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I just chuck it up in the living room when used. As the missus uses it as well.

Although not that time of year yet. I will be commuting all year round (8 miles) and then probably the odd ride at lunchtimes in week and turbo in the evenings. Try and get out as much as possible at the weekends.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Some thread necromancy.

'tis the season to consider turbo trainers.

Wahoo Kickr - anyone got one? Tempted to stick the spare SS on it and use ERG mode (i.e. it uses the built in power meter to adjust resistance to keep you at a specified power output - you pedal faster it'll lower resistance to keep you at x watts, pedal slower and it'll increase resistance)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It does sound flashy but it's a hell of a lot to spend on a trainer (particularly one that doesn't have the side to side motion available like the rock n roll). For that sort of money might you be better looking at a second hand wattbike perhaps?

If you read 'Training the Obree Way' he spends quite a while talking about turbos, he argues for getting a basic trainer with purely magnetic resistance then locking out the resistance setting and using your gears to vary resistance - that way wheel speed is a proxy for power measurements, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting something like the Kickr.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TimothyW wrote:
    It does sound flashy but it's a hell of a lot to spend on a trainer (particularly one that doesn't have the side to side motion available like the rock n roll). For that sort of money might you be better looking at a second hand wattbike perhaps?

If you read 'Training the Obree Way' he spends quite a while talking about turbos, he argues for getting a basic trainer with purely magnetic resistance then locking out the resistance setting and using your gears to vary resistance - that way wheel speed is a proxy for power measurements, and is a heck of a lot cheaper than getting something like the Kickr.
    I'd quite like not having to faff with the setup often, as it's likely up be upstairs in a spare room, and I'll only have 1 geared bike for now which I don't want to run up and down carpets inbetween proper riding and turbo. Hence the idea of using the existing spare SS frame and having the turbo vary the resistance.

The Paddy Wagon I think has road spacing on the rear triangle so if the chainline can be sorted then it could be a sensible (excluding the not so sensible price of the Kickr) setup.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo