-Post Your Retro Road Bikes-

Comments

• tv
    tv Posts: 338
    5904037443_9f49c72280.jpg

All cleaned up now with all the rust treated and painted over! It was my Grandpa's and is really lovely to ride!
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Love those old Peugeots. Yours looks a bit nicer spec than my old one, but my first racing bike was a Peugeot Equipe, £105 from Halfords out of my own pocket money in 1984. :shock: Possibly I bought it because the red/blue colour scheme went with my new club colours, but I like to think it was the best machine for that sort of money at the time. Served me well for three years till the Ron came along.

...cheers Ben!
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    My oldie, to sell but not sure how retro it is..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78197795@N02/7002825907/

if I can get the image to link.....
  • tv
    zx6man.....

7002825907_5b7489305c.jpg
  • tv
    PhilPub wrote:
    Love those old Peugeots. Yours looks a bit nicer spec than my old one, but my first racing bike was a Peugeot Equipe, £105 from Halfords out of my own pocket money in 1984. :shock: Possibly I bought it because the red/blue colour scheme went with my new club colours, but I like to think it was the best machine for that sort of money at the time. Served me well for three years till the Ron came along.

...cheers Ben!

Yeah, really lovely bike, mine is the 1987 model with shimano 600 groupset! I do like the peugeot color schemes!
  • zx6man
    Cheers matey
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    bompington wrote:
    The Rusty Raleigh is a 1995 Raleigh M-Trax, is that old enough? It's certainly retro in its style.
    Here it is in full winter set-up:
    6678016867_c02541d2c4_z.jpg
    I should perhaps point out that this is a snap I took with the intention of winding up the OCP club ;-) but never posted as I forgot the resolution on my phone was set way too low.

I was wondering if my bike would be old enough to qualify for this thread, it's 2 years newer than yours :lol:

IMG-20120122-00028.jpg
  • Tony-J
    Tony-J Posts: 53
    tv wrote:

All cleaned up now with all the rust treated and painted over! It was my Grandpa's and is really lovely to ride!
    I smegin' love Peugeots. My first road bike was a Peugeot Avance, same colour as this, killed by a pick up driver with no insurance, the classic right turn, drive over the kid on the bike trick, woke up under a parked car down a side street.
    This is a great bike.
    Glen (work colleague) 'So Tony, those stars in the sky..they're not really small...they're really far away?'
    Glen:'so the Scottish, the Welch and the Irish all have their own languages..so why don't the English have their own language?'
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    taff.. wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    The Rusty Raleigh is a 1995 Raleigh M-Trax, is that old enough? It's certainly retro in its style.
    I should perhaps point out that this is a snap I took with the intention of winding up the OCP club ;-) but never posted as I forgot the resolution on my phone was set way too low.

I was wondering if my bike would be old enough to qualify for this thread, it's 2 years newer than yours :lol:

IMG-20120122-00028.jpg
    Dunno if it does, what with those new-fangled shifters and such
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    jamsop wrote:
    Old pic....retro classic frame and geometry

IMG_0354d.jpg

that is beautiful.
  • zx6man
    bompington wrote:
    taff.. wrote:
    bompington wrote:

IMG-20120122-00028.jpg

OR being drunk when fitting the rear mudgaurd :D:D:D:D
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PhilPub wrote:
    Nice little collection!

I forgot this thread. Still waiting for a bit of nice weather to take out my new fair-weather ride, but here's the re-vamped Ron Cooper as promised, complete with full SRAM Force groupset. 25 years young this year. Bloody love it.

6955293405_7d4077f6a1_c.jpg

Nice, very nice........ but Athena would have looked soooooo much better. Indescribably better! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    zx6man wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    taff.. wrote:
    bompington wrote:

IMG-20120122-00028.jpg

OR being drunk when fitting the rear mudgaurd :D:D:D:D

:mrgreen:

I was in a rush and the support rods were too long, so a quick blat with the angle grinder...........and it didn't come out exactly right :lol:
  • PhilPub
    Rolf F wrote:
    Nice, very nice........ but Athena would have looked soooooo much better. Indescribably better! :wink:

Controversial! :wink: Athena in silver was the first thing I looked at, but I just much prefer the SRAM hoods for ergonomics and looks. I managed to get a ''nearly new'' Force groupset off ebay for a decent price, so I think I've done pretty well for performance vs. budget. Once I'd decided on the (old-school friendly) combo of black saddle/white bars with black hoods, I was happy that the black/white notes of the Force went really well. The only thing I'm not 100% on aesthetically is the brakes which have a slight blue tinge, so I might keep an eye out for some nice silver ones (SRAM Red would be nice if I could get them for a ridiculous price) and I could use these to upgrade the Tektros on my other bike. But it's a minor point really.

More importantly, it looks like it might actually be dry this weekend!

BTW, when this bike was first put together in 1987 I was lucky enough to inherit some lovely Campag Super Record bits off my brother's old bike, so this is why I looked at Campag before anything else, but quite frankly I don't think they're the last word in aesthetics like they used to be. Just my opinion.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    tv wrote:

It was my Grandpa's and is really lovely to ride!

Jeez! Either you must be really young, or I must be really old. My grandpa rode a Rudge Roadster as an adult in the 1920's. Your Peugeot there first stalked the earth when my own youth was already ancient history.

Please tell me this bike was your grandpa's 100th birthday present, or something.
  • tv
    Im guessing it was one of his later bikes as he is in his 80s now!
  • Not quite a road bike as it's converted to fixed.

2012-03-24135228Small.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    This is my Gios Aerodynamic from 1983 as ridden in L'Eroica the year before last
    http://i.imgur.com/Or5WX.jpg
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tv
    Monty Dog wrote:
    This is my Gios Aerodynamic from 1983 as ridden in L'Eroica the year before last

Or5WX.jpg
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    PhilPub wrote:
    Nice little collection!

I forgot this thread. Still waiting for a bit of nice weather to take out my new fair-weather ride, but here's the re-vamped Ron Cooper as promised, complete with full SRAM Force groupset. 25 years young this year. Bloody love it.

6955291183_3ecdaa05ee_z.jpg

That is a beauty!

Chapeau.

Looks really lovely. I might want to wait until SRAM Force 2014/15 comes out and then put that on a really nice 531 Claud Butler I have. I think it actually looks nicer than Athena, ain't that weird. Has a certain timeless look in terms of the shape.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Monty Dog wrote:

whoa... nice job on authenticity? how genuine are all the components?

tyres?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Ben6899 wrote:
    PhilPub wrote:
    Nice little collection!

6955291183_3ecdaa05ee_z.jpg

That is a beauty!

Chapeau.

Chapeaux +lots, that is delicious, well played!
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • PhilPub
    wakou wrote:
    Chapeaux +lots, that is delicious, well played!

Thanks guys! I went on my first mini-ride in proper gear on Saturday, just the 15-mile round trip to Herne Hill and back, and it rides so beautifully. On the one hand, after three years I'd forgotten how nice steel rides compared to carbon - a lot more dampening on London roads, and beautifully quiet, probably like cruising in a Bentley after hopping out of an Audi TT :D - but also with the new wheels, groupset, BB etc. it's sooo much better for the modern upgrade. This ain't gonna see any racing but will be my bike of choice when the sun is shining and I want to put a smile on my face.
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Got an old 1990's Raleigh Pro Race as my winter bike, but it's in desparate need of new wheels and cassette.
    Anybody any idea what I can replace them with? I presume the width between the dropouts is important but I don't know where to start?!
  • PhilPub
    pickled wrote:
    Got an old 1990's Raleigh Pro Race as my winter bike, but it's in desparate need of new wheels and cassette.
    Anybody any idea what I can replace them with? I presume the width between the dropouts is important but I don't know where to start?!

Check the spacing for the drop-outs. Modern ones for 10-11 etc. spd cassettes are 130mm, yours maybe 126-128?? I believe it's a fairly straightforward job (in the hands of a professional) to get the stays respaced to the correct width - which is what I had done to mine when the frame went in for a respray - or if there's no more than a couple of mm's in it, a wheel might squeeze in anyway but best to get it done properly. Or you might find NOS wheels with the correct spacing, but if you want completely new modern, 10spd etc. you might as well get them respaced, if necessary.

Bear in mind also, whatever cassette you get will obviously need to have compatible drive-train - chainset & chain.
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Oops - moved to "Special Interests"! :roll: :oops:
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    pickled wrote:

My Raleigh Europa (pictures to go up soonish I hope) has 120mm dropouts and has been running seven speed (now single speed on a seven speed freehub).

I just replaced the wheels with some Mavics off my best bike (9 speed Tiagra hubs) and whipped off the Tiagra freehub and replaced it with the seven speed one. Had to swap out the axle too, goes in a treat.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My 1982 Cadex. Now for sale as sadly too small

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65473577@N ... 865510459/
  • Not quite a road bike as it's converted to fixed.

2012-03-24135228Small.jpg
    Really like this - It looks fit for purpose and ready to go!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Here is my new (to me) Ron Cooper. It is frame number 009 and I have no idea of age etc.

Nisi Wheels on Mavic Hubs
    Shmano Exage brakes
    Unknown Levers with 'Dia Comp' hoods
    Cinelli Bars and BB Case
    Campy Strada 2 Crankset
    Dura Ace Rear Mech
    Suntour Levers
    Suntour Front Mech
    Selle Rolls Saddle
    Kalloy Seat Post
    Campy Headset
    Mavic Stem

I have ordered some nice Conti Gumwall Tyres and some MKS pedals, cages and straps.

I am planning on keeping it as original as possible.

7129156491_3f5337c704.jpg
    IMG_0145 by welkman001, on Flickr