Who'd be a politician aye?

2»

Comments

• DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    Sorry but that article is no better than the nonsense from the right-wing, it's just the other side of the coin. Nobody knows what the outcome is because very little has actually been decided and indeed implemented yet people are claiming all sorts of triumphs/failures depending on their political persuasions.

Couldn't agree more. I am not unfortunately in a position to decide whether this is good or bad for the UK - and I suspect all but those with a background in international economics faces the same problem. I haven't felt able to trust commentary from the UK political set because all I hear is axes being ground. The best, most measured, analysis I have heard so far came from an economics professor from Harvard on R4. What I'd like to see is a set of scenarios laid out with the pros and cons of each. Only then will I think I can form a view. And it's unusual for me to take a perch on a political fence.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    We obviously dont know how this is going to pan out, it may be good, it may be bad or it may be indifferent. Although a lot of people, not only those who are pro european or left wing inclined, suggest its not the best outcome economically.

What I dont like is the main 'justification' behind the move, i.e. to protect the city. Who really benefits and who really loses out from an unregualted financial sector?
    Mañana
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Quick prediction.

Sometime in the future (near or far) the ultimatum will come.
    If you want to be part of the European Union then you have to be in the Euro.

It is inevitable. For the Union to work the way that they want, ie the United States of Europe then it is the only logical conclusion.

Question is, what will Britain do?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    daviesee wrote:
    Quick prediction.

Sometime in the future (near or far) the ultimatum will come.
    If you want to be part of the European Union then you have to be in the Euro.

It is inevitable. For the Union to work the way that they want, ie the United States of Europe then it is the only logical conclusion.

Question is, what will Britain do?

Boris made the comment this morning "what has wound up the germans and the french is that britain was right about not joining the euro and that it was not going to work.
    In the 60's there was even talk about britain joining even closer to the USA.I think this was one of Harold Wilsons idea's! :shock:
    When it comes down to it, as a nation we have never liked been told what to do,by anybody. :roll:
    bagpuss
  • Where's Nick Clegg when you need him.

He has the spine of a jellyfish.

I'd love it if the next time he showed up at Parliament he was welcomed with chants of "who are ya, who are ya" and "where was you when you were sh1t". :lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.