Cyclists & Hand Signals

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    "When I learnt to drive - not that long ago - I was taught to indicate at roundabouts unless going straight on. Apparently this doesn't get taught anymore. But pointless "theory" tests are enforced. I can't remember any stopping distances, know a handful of road signs and believe I got taught a lot of things that were actually wrong on my theory! "

Of course you're still meant to indicate.

And you should indicate even if you're going straight on. Always indicate left off a RAB.

also, yes, there is cycling proficiency, can't remember what it's called, but it's done and to a higher standard than the old one. But how many kids do it and then get told "no you can't ride on the road, it's too dangerous" by their parents.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thebigbee wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    I make a mental note to signal more but last time I was super clear of my intentions I went into the back of a van flol.

I am not sure what to make of this - apart from the fact that even though your intentions were, "super clear" your spatial awareness seems to be pretty far from, "super"!

It was part tongue in cheek, my spatial awareness is very good thanks but once in a blue moon, sh*t happens, even to the best riders. Unless you nod around at 10mph it's very hard to go through life without an incident.

Sums it up...
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I indicate where I can & always where I need.
    Normally my road positioning will be a very good indicator of where I'm going.

Would be good to indicate more often than I do, but on London roads at least it's often safer to keep ones hands on the handlebars, else you'll be got by the newest pothole/road work that has left a cm high ridge on the road.
  • And keep wiggling their elbows at me?
    Cos they recognise the Power AwesomeTM that you have and want you to lead them out....:lol:
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    Is there even a cycling proficiency scheme in schools anymore?

I never took one because it is basically common sense. However, I think common sense is a quality that is sadly lacking in modern day life.

There are several schemes coming to schools again now. Cycle Solutions is one such company that offers "Bikeability" training (the new national standard based largely on a book called cyclecraft" ) Generally it is offered to children in years 5 and 6 (~age 10/11) and consists of 4 weeks training - 2 hours a week, so a grand total of about 8 hours, which honestly isn't enough, but it's better than nothing and paid for by the local council - funded from government.

My wife is actually a relatively new employee of cycle solutions and although as always under funded and stretched it sounds like a fantastic scheme, and promises to get many more people cycling with at least some training.
  • Thebigbee wrote:
    Is the Green Cross Code even taught anymore? My daughter will happily press the button at the lights and only wait for the green man to appear. More often than not it doesn't make a sound anymore. Blind people must love that!

Have a look underneath the button box, the new ones have a rotating 'knob' that allows the blind and deaf to know when it's safe to cross.